Abscess questions PLEASE help

Posted , 30 users are following.

sad

Hello, I have an abscess, lower left big tooth (third I think) Anyway, started off last weekend feeling unwell, headache a bit fluey, then sunday tooth started to niggle. Called dentist on Monday as by then pain in jaw, around ear and eye. He said I could go in on the Tuesday PM. He said the tooth looked suspect, felt tender when he tapped it and gum looked inflamed. He gave me antibiotics. Got worse, nagging pain the rest of Tuesday, Wednesday started swelling. My cheek, half bottom lip swollen into a ball like shape. Very tender and all along my jaw, under the jaw. Called the dentist and he said the antibiotics would take 24 - 48 hours to kick in. Continued to get worse, lots of swelling, terrible pain that could not be controlled by normal pain relief, kept getting hot, shakey, very anxious took myself off to the docs as didn't sleep for 3 nights and needed stronger pain relief. He gave me some and it did help a bit - went back to see dentist who drilled a hole in tooth but nothing came out - he sent me away saying he couldn't do anything until swelling went down that if it didn't drain out of tooth it would slowly drain through lymph glands. My glands are definately up and next is swollen although still able to breathe and swallow - thank god! Finally today - Saturday after pressure in gum became very intense the pus started leaking out through the gum under the tooth - still nothing coming through it? Not sure why? If I pulled my lip out all the pus came streaming out and I was able to spit it out. Should I try to draw the remaining pus to this tooth by putting salt etc on the gum? Any advice would be most appreciated as I am getting quite anxious thinking about it. Dentist said he would pull the tooth on Monday if swelling had gone down - does it have to go all the way down before he will pull it?

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, The first thing you needed to do was go to the dentist and get a prescription for antibiotics, dentists do not normally take out a good tooth! the infection needs to be dealt with first, then the tooth can be removed if that is necessary, or you could find that the tooth is fine and can have the nerve removed and filled, then there is no need to have the tooth removed. hope this helps
  • Posted

I am unsure how long ago this post was put on here..however i just ant some advice and need to vent to someone..So..i also have an abcess toothsad ouchy,,thats for sure its worse thatn having a child.june 29th i got my number 5 tooth pulled out and i had an abcess there also..the dentist didnt put me on any antibiotics he just pulled it out..the most pain ive ever felt in my life..I FELT THE WHOLE ENTIRE EXTRACTION...it hurt me sso badly i was in shock shaking coulent stop crying.it hurt so terrrably..well it took that about a week and a half to heal..but afterwards i was okay the pain of the gums did hurt but nothing like the tooth itself did...ANYWAYS..i stoped feeling that tooth on thursday and i started to feel my front tooth on friday...sad it started JUST like the other one did started to feel sore....and then only got worse and worse..i am so exhausted havent been able to sleep havent been able to be the mother and wife that i need to be..i have 2 boys that are 4 and 5..crazy boys with tones of energy...thank god for a good husband..anyways i called around and i found a dentist..that charged me 60 dollars just to go in there and to tell me that i have an abcess tooth..which i already know...he wouldent even give me ibprofen 800s only would give me ibprofen 600 and he wouldent give me an antibiotic..wth????? he told me that i need to have a root canal done on my tooth and then a filling?? Well ive been talking with my aunt laurie who lives back east in michigan i live in california and she is a dental assistant..and she told me that i do nee to be put on an antibiotic..befroe they perform and kind of procedure otherwise..the numbing is NOT going to numb my tooth which I AM A FIRM believer in because of what i had to go threw with feeling my tooth being taken out..so why wouldent he give me an antibiotic???? he said that he didnt need to because i wasent swollen..WELL....i woke up this morning and my top lip is ALL swollen i look like a duck that just had some bad botox..lolso i called to get a antibiotic i called my dentist and hes not in untill 11am so should i mabey just go into the Er..i have been taking CRAZY amounts of obprofens and tylenols..every 2 to 3 hours and 4 at a time one time i even took 10 at a time 5 ibprofens and 5 tylenols..NOW I KNO IKNO tht its not good for me but if i dont have them in my sytem at all times i start to feel my tooth..its consitant..i feel it all day but im able to dal with the pain GOD is taking the pain away..unless i DONT take my medicine then its horrrible..i havent really been able to sleep..so ive been very exhausted..Ive never really incountered an abcess that i have been diagnosed with..PLEASE..someone explain what this pus is and do i have it? i have a lilt bump on the inside gum right under the lip looks like it could b a pimple? what do i need to do and how do i kno if i have puss in there or not? HELP SOMEONE THAT REALLY KNOS WHAT THERE TALKING ABOUT???
  • Posted

hello everyone i need ur help i am in the worst pain of my life with thiis abscess its burst a little but is getting bigger again ..... i cant take anymore painkillers as i just vomit, orajel doesnt work , clove oil doesnt work cold flannel doesnt work help \!!

no sleep for 4 days

• Posted

ugh teeth pains are the worst and i am SO SORRY that you are going threw this!!!!

Once the Swelling goes down like the dentist said he will pull it..BUT BE CAREFUL

because I had an abcessed pulled out and it hurt like hell....The dentist poked me with the MOST he could of the numing stuff and it numbed EVERYTHING but the tooth..and when he started ranking and pulling it felt every bit of it!!! it was the worse pain i had ever felt in my life!!!!!!

I can sit here and repeat EVERYTHING that you already know about an abcess..but once the pus comes out it should relieve a little bit of pressure!! and i hope everything works out for the best for you i just wanted to warn you about the numbing and that you may want to get the gas also while getting it extracted just in case! God bless and i wish you the best!

• Posted

what can i do ?? im sitting here goinng out of my mind
    • Posted

I know this post is a few years old but I thought it still might help someone. I use tobacco for toothache and abscesses it numbs the pain and it kills bacteria etc. But don't use cigarettes they are full of crap, I use pipe tobacco or chewing tobacco

• Posted

Navy Corpsman here. CORPSMAN UP!!!! Go to the drug store and buy some Motrin/Ibuprofen (usually comes in 200mg tablets). Take 3-4 of the 200mg tablets (600mg-800mg) every 6-8 hours for the pain and inflammation (inflammation causes most of the pain). Drinks lots of water! The dentist SHOULD prescribe you antibiotics (usually either Amoxicillin or Erythromycin, sometimes Clindamycin) to fight off the infection. Then you will either need a root canal (will save the tooth) or have it extracted. Root canals are not as bad as people say they are. I've had a root canal years ago and actually right now I have an abscess in my lower right #30 molar since Sunday. Taking Erythromycin since Tuesday and 800mg Motrin/Ibuprofen since Sunday night. Do NOT sleep lying down as this will increase the pressure and pain. Instead sleep in an upright position like in a recliner or something.
  • Posted

When taking NSAID's (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) such as Motrin/Ibuprofen don't take other NSAID's like Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) along with it. Take either one or the other. Aleve shouldn't be taken longer than 3-4 days. I find that Motrin/Ibuprofen works better in dental cases anyways.
  • Posted

I just want to say oh My God, suffering the teethache from the gum abscess is not the worst thing, the worst thing is the pus. It just drains off by itself constantly,and the pus looks transparent, but i totally have no idea,it is draining like 24 hours,unstoppable,, always draining....i am just wondering why,it always drains ,why do not stop... i am not sure whether this is benefical for my curing or even deteriorating my condition,oh God,,,,,bless me.
  • Posted

hiya everyone im new to this but whenever iv had a tooth absess iv always used cloves oil it works wounders you can buy it from any chemist pharmacey  ..put a lot of it on a peice of cotton wool and put it in your tooth for 10 mins then take it out ..and repeat when ever you get pain and the pus will drain out as the cloves draws it out hope this helps untill you see your dentist ....xxx
  • Posted

The salt doesnt work and it really hurts but luckily i have a dentist appointment today

and theywill try to takethe pain away right? And would it hurt?i dont think i even have a fiscula ahhh im so scared

• Posted

I have had problems with absess teeth .And what helpped me was peroxside i put it in my mouth and swished it around i could feel the infection bubbling in my mouth( ,make sure not to swallow any ) then spit it out and repeat 
    • Posted

ive been having tooth abcsess for a long time. i went to the dentist and told the dentist i even let them touch my abscess they told me it was just muscle i even did an xray but nothing showed up about the abscess and then in grade10 i read a topic in biology about tooth abscess and realize i have tooth abscess right now i am really scared i might have to take a surgery for it. and i think the tooth abcsess was caused by my previous child teeth and not the adult teeth. can u all give me some tips im really scared of having a surgery and traumas for going to dentists any please help!
  • Posted

PEROXCIDE SWISH IT IN YOURE MOUTH UNTELL THE BUBBLING STOPS IT KILLS THE INFECTION AND RELIEVES THE PAIN TRY 50/50 AT FIRST DONT SWALLOW IT RINSE AFTER BUT KEEP DOING IT TELL THE BUBBLING STOPS AND YOU WILL HAVE RELIEF.I HAVE USED THIS METHOD FOR YEARS ,BUT I USE STRAIGHT PEROXSIDE  BROWN BOTTEL $1.00

• Posted

ive been having tooth abcsess for a long time. i went to the dentist and told the dentist i even let them touch my abscess they told me it was just muscle i even did an xray but nothing showed up about the abscess and then in grade10 i read a topic in biology about tooth abscess and realize i have tooth abscess right now i am really scared i might have to take a surgery for it. and i think the tooth abcsess was caused by my previous child teeth and not the adult teeth. can u all give me some tips im really scared of having a surgery and traumas for going to dentists any please help! did u have any opration for tooth abcsess?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.