Abscess questions PLEASE help

Posted , 30 users are following.

sad

Hello, I have an abscess, lower left big tooth (third I think) Anyway, started off last weekend feeling unwell, headache a bit fluey, then sunday tooth started to niggle. Called dentist on Monday as by then pain in jaw, around ear and eye. He said I could go in on the Tuesday PM. He said the tooth looked suspect, felt tender when he tapped it and gum looked inflamed. He gave me antibiotics. Got worse, nagging pain the rest of Tuesday, Wednesday started swelling. My cheek, half bottom lip swollen into a ball like shape. Very tender and all along my jaw, under the jaw. Called the dentist and he said the antibiotics would take 24 - 48 hours to kick in. Continued to get worse, lots of swelling, terrible pain that could not be controlled by normal pain relief, kept getting hot, shakey, very anxious took myself off to the docs as didn't sleep for 3 nights and needed stronger pain relief. He gave me some and it did help a bit - went back to see dentist who drilled a hole in tooth but nothing came out - he sent me away saying he couldn't do anything until swelling went down that if it didn't drain out of tooth it would slowly drain through lymph glands. My glands are definately up and next is swollen although still able to breathe and swallow - thank god! Finally today - Saturday after pressure in gum became very intense the pus started leaking out through the gum under the tooth - still nothing coming through it? Not sure why? If I pulled my lip out all the pus came streaming out and I was able to spit it out. Should I try to draw the remaining pus to this tooth by putting salt etc on the gum? Any advice would be most appreciated as I am getting quite anxious thinking about it. Dentist said he would pull the tooth on Monday if swelling had gone down - does it have to go all the way down before he will pull it?

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

ive been having tooth abcsess for a long time. i went to the dentist and told the dentist i even let them touch my abscess they told me it was just muscle i even did an xray but nothing showed up about the abscess and then in grade10 i read a topic in biology about tooth abscess and realize i have tooth abscess right now i am really scared i might have to take a surgery for it. and i think the tooth abcsess was caused by my previous child teeth and not the adult teeth. can u all give me some tips im really scared of having a surgery and traumas for going to dentists any please help!
  • Posted

Although this is an old message, I felt compelled to reply anyway. If u find pus coming out of your body anywhere, this is life threatening. Go to Urgent Care facility at a hospital near you. Be seen urgently.
  • Posted

Get your butt to a doctor or emergency room ASAP!!!! That dentist is a quack!!!
    • Posted

I thought the same thing. I saw a dentist and after careful examination he immediately started treatment by numbing the area, drilling out the old cavity that caused the tooth to die and the abscess to form. After that he packed it with pain medicine and put in a temporary filling. I got a prescription for antibiotic and pain meds. This began on Saturday evening and I saw the Dentist on Monday afternoon. Today is Thursday and while I still have swelling and pain both have greatly subsided and I am grateful for a knowledgeable dentist who took such great care of me. Worst pain ever- more than childbirth. I have to go back in a few days to follow up he will put them prepare the tooth for a crown - I think he already did the root canal. Not sure as I was not thinking clearly from the pain. I will check with him.
  • Posted

I have an abscess in my tooth lower left side. They took out the puss on Tuesday. I'm on antibiotics now. The swelling is still on the left bottom side of my lip and below. How long is this swelling going to stay? What can I do to decrease the swelling? I've had the swelling for over a week now. Are the antibiotics going to bring the swelling down?

• Posted

Hello I know this post been awhile I ended at emergency gdent tonight because of abscess my whole face was in very sever pain I couldn't talk drink or even eat

Only thing that helped was hot water bottle after having try cold compress on my face how whole side side of my face was swollen but i am on antibiotics now but I just wondering what painkillers are best to take paracemtol not helping but I am not aloud to take anntiflamtry because of health problems ready on another antibiotic for a kidney infection got told abscess came because my immune system is down but I really want this pain to ease off its burst twice but I just get relive for alittle while been up all night but I don't know what kind of painkillers I can take that would help

Anyone found anything that helped apart from antiflamty thank you in advance

• Posted

I just wrote a much longer message to you that not only seemed to not get through, but I ended up losing it. So I'll greatly simplify. I'm going through the same problem with an abscess as you wrote about over a year ago.

Could you kindly tell me what worked best for you. Or if you were in the same boat on a Sunday morning what would you do this time?

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks Neil Sheppard

• Posted

im going through the exact same thing. my right side of my face feels so puffy especially to the touch. i have a dentist appointent but its not until the 16th. so i ve been to the er twice because of the pain and the size of my face. the 2nd time they told me if it didnt get any better from the antibiotics im taking, then ill have to go to a certain hospital to see a facial surgeon to get it drained or something. its not very manly, but i dont know what to do im freaking out... panic attack level...
    • Posted

Hey Bali I was just about to hit the sack but if you're in the discomfort I was in I could desert you especially when I Amy have a quick answer for you.

I had the experience when I was younger

• Posted

Sorry that first part got away on its own. So I always used to do this little trick and it worked nine an way few hours without much trouble.You get some sale preferably sea salt and boil some water fill up a large mug and add the salt at least 2 to 3 large tablespoons. Mix with the hot water get a towel and site down with an empty container and the mug or glass or go to a sink. When the water cools s just so it's not scalding. Mix the salt around and take a good half a mouthful sip and swish it directly over the abcess.keep doing it so you go through 2 to 4 whole glasses and without burning yourself get it and keep it as hot as you can stand it. If you can do more do it. Spit the water in the sink or a large container you van thrown away after. I had a large Iced tea container &sat on my couch. I did it every hour for a few hours and rhe whole abscess popped. If it's hot enough & you have enough salt and you swish it Doce fully so you feel the heat over the sore part it will eventually pop. You must keep doing it keep it hot etc. I actually forgot that it not only worked well but it was pretty fast within the fist hour or two! And what a relief. Then you have to get some gauze or kleenex or something sterile to keep over the sore as it drains a day or so no longer. That should do man. Good luck Let me know how it goes Take Neil S

• Posted

Got a abscess on my tooth begin taking antibiotics now I have developed a hug knot under my left hell is it from the infection and the antibiotics
  • Posted

Hi...I tried the warm salt water remedy and the pain became excruciating instantly...Was that supposed to happen because if so that's a remedy I don't want???

• Posted

Hi Tareal,

I have a pretty hi tolerance for pain. If this is something that you can't handle I suggest that you see a doctor ASAP or if necessary go to WE.

The saltwater was an immediate cure. If it doesn't work you can't just sit around for days with something like this. It could seriously poison you. If you have any symptoms that are resulting like dizziness, no energy, or 100 others I'd at least call an WE room and see if the suggest you come in. Best of luck Neil

• Posted

I had an abscessed tooth incident that began suddenly on Saturday and was excruciating pain. By Monday afternoon I went to dentist and he immediately began treating with antibiotics after he pulled out the old filling which caused the tooth to die and the abscess to form - he out in a bunch of pain killers after he drilled everything out and put in a temporary filling until he can complete treatment next week - root canal and crown. It is now Thursday and while the pain has greatly diminished and the swelling has been subsiding it was quickly taken care of - I don't understand why you have had to go through so much - I feel bad for you as that pain was worse than child birth - I hope you recovered eventually. I am having difficulty sleeping because the pain has exhausted me because I started a new job last week and can't take off - thankfully my children are older now and don't need me to care for them but if they were little there would have been no way I would have been able to care for them - abscessed toothnpain has to be one of the worst. I am very greatful the dentist knew what he was doing and how to treat me.

• Posted

Seriously this is an old post, why are you still commenting? If you're having problems and need advice then start your own thread rather than fishing for attention on this one......

• Posted

The button is literally at bottom of page, right next to the reply button, see "start your own discussion", that's what you do because none of us want your life story.....

• Posted

Nice meeting you too - be like the person you most want to meet in life - have a wonderful life! My life is amazing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.