Abscess questions PLEASE help

Posted , 30 users are following.

sad

Hello, I have an abscess, lower left big tooth (third I think) Anyway, started off last weekend feeling unwell, headache a bit fluey, then sunday tooth started to niggle. Called dentist on Monday as by then pain in jaw, around ear and eye. He said I could go in on the Tuesday PM. He said the tooth looked suspect, felt tender when he tapped it and gum looked inflamed. He gave me antibiotics. Got worse, nagging pain the rest of Tuesday, Wednesday started swelling. My cheek, half bottom lip swollen into a ball like shape. Very tender and all along my jaw, under the jaw. Called the dentist and he said the antibiotics would take 24 - 48 hours to kick in. Continued to get worse, lots of swelling, terrible pain that could not be controlled by normal pain relief, kept getting hot, shakey, very anxious took myself off to the docs as didn't sleep for 3 nights and needed stronger pain relief. He gave me some and it did help a bit - went back to see dentist who drilled a hole in tooth but nothing came out - he sent me away saying he couldn't do anything until swelling went down that if it didn't drain out of tooth it would slowly drain through lymph glands. My glands are definately up and next is swollen although still able to breathe and swallow - thank god! Finally today - Saturday after pressure in gum became very intense the pus started leaking out through the gum under the tooth - still nothing coming through it? Not sure why? If I pulled my lip out all the pus came streaming out and I was able to spit it out. Should I try to draw the remaining pus to this tooth by putting salt etc on the gum? Any advice would be most appreciated as I am getting quite anxious thinking about it. Dentist said he would pull the tooth on Monday if swelling had gone down - does it have to go all the way down before he will pull it?

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have been going through the same thing for two months now. Amoxacillin works great after 3 doeses my abscess drained. the problem is i can't get mine pulled until tuesday because they had to pull a different tooth last week in an emergency. yes the dentist can safely pull the tooth as long as most of the swelling went down. how long have you had the abscess for?

• Posted

I just recently had a bad toothache and abscess and was in severe pain. It was Saturday and I know I couldn't get to the dentist. My jaw line was swollen and gum around affected tooth was swollen and painful. I decided to try something that ended up working.I took a motrin 800 or aleve,a hot rag and kept applying to face side of affected area.(heat reduces swelling) as heat kick's in you will feel the swelling going down. using mouthwash cup pour half brown Listerine half peroxide.let solution sit on affected area 1min then spit out continue to solution gone. its gone burn a little but trust me its working.after swelling gets down abscess will drain and pop.mix more solution and now whoosh mixture on and around affected area to all pus is out I continued the mouth solution 3times daily and motrin or aleve twice a day until I made it to the dentist on Monday..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.