Access to Records

Posted , 10 users are following.

GP's contracts now include giving their NHS patients access to their basic records (medications and allergies only) by the end of this year, whilst this is a start do you think it is particularly useful when compared to your past medical history and test results?

5 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately confidentiality tends to go with wider access to computerised medical records and for  all health and social care staff looking after  you to potentially have access including community pharmacists. Summary care records can avoid duplicalation and be life saving over allergies etc, but do people  want all and sundry to see GP records which could contain very personal information that in the past few had access to? It may make you think twice before giving information and potentially affect care. Most blood results are fine,but not every one will want HiV result sharing.

having access to your records has benefits but also hazards

in the past I have had records requested by a third party, i signed a form that gave them permission for a summary, but the request to the GP was for every record since birth even though irrelevent to the case.  I have also requested a copyof records from one hospital , who sent me copies they had of another hospitals records for me, but not their own record of my treatment there!

• Posted

Hi Susan ~

Don't take this the wrong way but where are you going with this?  Excuse my ignorance...I'm truly confused.

Frustrated

• Posted

I am a patient at two NHS hospitals. My complaint is usually that the adjoining area health authority does not have access to my records.

As for confidentiality in many cases the letters consultants dictate are sent electronically to India to be typed. The files are then sent back to be printed.

Many that I get in Sussex have been posted in Bristol.  

• Posted

Hi Frustrated

often in life there are no simple answers. Yes access to the new computerised medical records has benefits for patients,especially if they are taught to self manage . However not all patients have computers or tablets or smart phones or the relevent skills  so paper print outs may be necessary,and in some cases clinicians time to explain medical terminology and like everything in life there are usually risks to go with the benefits. If you can easily access your records,as you seem to have pointed out there is a good chance that so will others who you may not wish to have access, whether hacked or "official" 

• Posted

Ahh, gotcha!  My mind wasn't thinking at the time I read your post.  It does make sense.  There are pros and cons...I'm thinking now, I might be on the fence.  Not too sure it should be easily available as it is so easy for some people to access w/o consent and there is other info in the records besides the "results...etc".  Such as, social security number ...correct spelling of name and possibly maiden names...all that can be useful for one to steal idenity.  It is for this reason, I'm rethinking the access.

Thank you, Susan for responding.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi again ~

I was thinking that if one sees their GP after a test, the results should be in front of you and them.  Meaning, both should have a hard copy to read together.  It's a sad thing that a doctor would get frustrated if anyone questions them or asks for clarification...isn't it?

Hope  all is well,

Frustrated

• Posted

Doctor I had in Scotland over eight years ago always sent me copies of test results. If it was a repeat test as for cholesterol, blood glucose etc it included all the previous few years for comparison
    • Posted

You are one lucky person, Derek!! Your doctor is one in a million.  It's too bad that other's didn't follow this direction as we'd most likely be healthier.  Nice to see this response.

Frustrated

• Posted

Read it again:-) "The doctor I had eight years ago"

My present one will give me a print out if I ask. If I ask the nurse she says that she can read the records but not print them. If I ask at reception they would charge between £2 and £5 for it. When I say to them that The doctor does it on request they reply what he does in there is up to him, we have to charge.

• Posted

Maybe I didn't address that properly.  What  I meant was you were very lucky to have such an attentive doctor.  Most aren't that way. 

I know what you mean about the charging and that's just not right.  If I called the place that did the tests, they'd give me a copy "free of charge" all Id have to do is show my ID or tell them who is picking it up but they have to have my ID.  Would tht work for you so you aren't charged? 

You could also tell the doctor you need the copy for insurance purposes....just don't tell them the insurance is for your well-being smile 

Those front desk people can really make or break a doctor's office.  That's how it is that I'm currently trying to get away from. The doctor had 3 practices and closed 2 now only 1 is open and all the people from the other 2 are coming to the only one open...so, the front desk is overworked and underpaid, the PA's think they know it all but don't and the doctors, well,if you weren't seeing them originally, there's not a chance you'd be ever able to see them.....so, we are out of the facility!!  

Derek, I wish I could have another suggestions so you had some open options but reaching out to the radiologist who reads the tests and reports on them should be able to get you a copy w/o paying and also a disc of what you had done...also for free of charge!

I wish you well and hope you get a settling ending to this ongoing obsticle.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

There are 6 GPs in my Practice and various trainees and nurses etc.  and getting printouts, or even results, depends on the computer literacy of the person I ask.

They don't charge us.

• Posted

There are 6 GPs in my Practice and various trainees and nurses etc.  and getting printouts, or even results, depends on the computer literacy of the person I ask.

They don't charge us.

• Posted

I am fortunate to the extent that I go to a fairly small practice that allocates 30% of appointments as same day ones. When I want an appointment I phone on a day when my GP should be on duty. I always avoid locums as they tend not to want to make decisions on things that the GP has been treating.

They have started an online booking service but that at the moment is limited to the first and last two slots in the day. They are probably the most popular for people going or coming from work.

• Posted

Receptionists in this PC age will ask if I mind them reading out from my notes before answering my questions about test results.
  • Posted

I think you have access to ALL your medical records!!! Regardless of what they contain, they are about you after all.

I was disgusted that after nearly 3 months of chasing the results of some pretty serious tests (and being stressed out to the max) I was cooly informed by my consultants secreatary (once I eventually got hold of her!) that a letter had been sent to my GP.  When I asked if they were al clear then, as I hadn't heard anything, she said...sorry we can't tell you that..Grrrrr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.