Access to Records

Posted , 10 users are following.

GP's contracts now include giving their NHS patients access to their basic records (medications and allergies only) by the end of this year, whilst this is a start do you think it is particularly useful when compared to your past medical history and test results?

5 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was searching for an answer as to whether I can request a copy of the referral letter my disabled brother's GP made to the hospital for him last year. I am named as his next of kin in hospital records so should have the right I guess.
  • Posted

Hi,

Are you referring to additional records on top of a SAR?

The last time I enquired about my hospital records, I was told they would get back to me in a few days, they did for my SAR which enquired about, but at a price of £150 due to the amount of paperwork and number of volumes held which was 3 at the time.

If you can stipulate a period then maybe, but I would not pay to see them. I can understand in my case there would be a large charge involved since I have a lot of medical scans, operations, and much more.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I've just applied to view my medical records and the GP sent me a form to sign, but reading the form I will only be allowed to view my records from the date I applied??

This is surely defeating the object of viewing them?

Any advice from anyone?

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

It is due the Data Protection Act that only allows viewing of medical records. Viewing of your records online at the moment is very limited and you need to know your NHS Number, even to get in to this area. Due to the information being that of a very personal nature. I signed up for mine back last year, but it is very much limited at the current time.

However, patients should to be able to access their own GP records already which started, and you will have full access to your care records by 2017 at the earliest. You will also be allowed to comment on your records. I am not sue if you can download records, because of security, we should know more by next year.

From this year you should be able to view a childs heathcare, which would normally be kept in the "Red book" as we are all accustomed to seeing when we were younger.

Patient's consent and care records will be available electronically across the health system by 2018, for urgent care services and by 2020 for all services, all across the UK. You will be able to access your own records via Apps from your Mobile Phone, Tablet and PC.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I filled in the form at my GP practice but although it gives the impression that you can access records apart from medications the rest are not yet available.

Reply I had today.

We are working towards patients being able to view their full record - this is not available as yet.

• Posted

Yes, that is correct - you can such a form from your doctors.

There is also an 'Opt-out form' to stop the Healthcare services sharing your information to other services. Because some services are based in India, hence people would not want their records accessed in that way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.