Achilies tendon rupture conservative treatment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im going into my 12 th week post rupture . Was wondering how other people are getting on . 

Im doing well but not counting my chickens yet . I was put in a boot with early weight baring . 25% from week 2 upto full from week 4 to week 8 if it felt ok which it did . Iv been walking out of the boot starting around the house at first but are now walking outdoors . I started movement exercises from week 3 so when i came out of the boot My ankle and foot was strong and supple . Just put this on as i know how scary it is at first and how any info helps . 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kurt.

I'm 9 weeks post op for full rupture and doing similar to you. 3pm now and no boot so far but will put on when we go out. Main issue for me is now the scar tissue under the skin preventing full movement. Massaging all the time but little tissue break down. Desperate to drive..... but mustn't rush anything. Hopefully will see change in next couple of weeks. Did you have an op or conservative management? Richard

• Posted

Hi Rick.

I was on the conservative path , also part of what is called uk star which looking at cast vs boot with early weight bearing for the boot over 22 hospitals . 

I think that early weight bearing is  the key so that when you come out the the boot you tendon is ready for the stress . Are you doing any ankle exercises  .

• Posted

Interesting you're in a clinical trial! They told me coz of 3cm gap conservative treatment would not work.

Reckon I could drive v soon but still will wait another 2 weeks or when I can do the toe/knee to the wall with heel down.

Good luck with it all

• Posted

I can see that with a 3 cm gap . Its great that you are past the infection stage . That must have been a worry . At least you have a much less chance of re ruptre compared to me . I like that toe /knee  to wall . I just tried it and cant do it yet , dont want to push to much . I have purchased a  exercise ball and when i sit down at night i roll my foot over it and push the front of my foot into the ball . Also push each side of the foot into it .
  • Posted

Hi Kurt,

You seem to be doing well.

I’m around week 12 post surgery. I can just about walk around with trainers on. (I’m supposed to be in the moon boot for another week) I cant drive yet as dont seem to have the strength to push the clutch. I’m not sure if this is because it was a full rupture, who knows! NHS have been fairly useless to be honest and haven’t given me any info as physio and if i should be exercising the ankle pre 12 weeks.

CONsidering buying an automatic!

Clare

• Posted

Hi Clare.

Im also full rupture 12 mm gap .

The nhs wasnt much help with me either . I had to suggest things to them on my visits and they would agree but they never took the rigns . I followed a guy on utube called Evan Brown . 

• Posted

Hi Clare..... Interesting esp your NHS experience. I'm being treated at Barnet hospital and they're all amazing.

Limiting for me is the scar tissue under the skin....

• Posted

Thanks Kurt, I looked Evan Brown up on YouTube and found him pretty helpful!
    • Posted

No probs Clare .

Be carfull if you are getting pain . Aching is fine but pain , your body is telling you to be carfull . A wedge in you trainer is a great idea .

Keep positive and good luck .

• Posted

So I did my Achilles tendon when I misjudged steps in the dark (no alcohol involved!) and was in a CAM boot within 24hrs following a trip to A&E. I saw the orthopaedic consultant 6 days later who seemed to be trying hard to put me off surgical repair but said it was my choice. I hadn't had a ultra sound scan at this point but the Thompson test wasn't showing a good result. I was sent round to the imaging dept for an urgent scan where I was told there was a 4 week waiting list for a scan. When I pointed out the consultant had marked the form URGENT to which I was told the consultant should know better! So I have today paid for a private scan as I am due to see the consultant again in 3 days and I would have thought the scan result was important info for him???

?The scan report says there is a 3-4cm partial tear. I would really rather not go down the surgical route if poss and really throw everything at healing through physio, micro current therapy etc BUT what to do for the best? I am not an athlete but lead an active life, drive a lot and am self employed and am really worried about post operative complications. I've been really good about keeping my CAM boot on (currently in 'ballerina' position) at all times apart from a quick daily shower and am good at doing what I'm advised to do by professionals.

What's a girl to do????

• Posted

Hi Pippa - yep, tough choice. I was desp not to have an op but the scan (yes, I had to have a private one too) showed a 3cm full tear. I had no choice. I'm now 10 weeks to the day post op. Out my boot at home in the house and occasional short walks outside otherwise in the boot when I go out, but now no wedges and in the neutral position. Hoping to drive in next couple of weeks as I feel it is strong enough to perform an emergency stop which is the decider. But the scar tissue under the skin at the op site is still not allowing the tendon to "slide" smoothly despite daily massages at the site...this is really frustrating as I feel my progress has come to an impasse. Having fortnightly physio at Barnet hospital (NHS, who have all been amazing I have to say).

I'd reco you keep the boot on even in the shower (cover with a bin liner) and indeed in bed (yes, a passion killer I know!!)...it's the only way to guarantee knitting of the wound if you don't have an op. 

Good luck anyway!!

Richard

• Posted

Hi Pippa .

Pippa if i was you i would go down the conservative root as its partial tear but who am i to advise . Have a look at Evan Brown on utube , i followed his process and it has worked realy well for me this far  🤞. Good look with your next few weeks and let us know how its going .

• Posted

Hi there

I am too going into 12th week (rupture 11/10/17) and am actually returning to work tomorrow I had my boot removed I 22nd Dec with no restrictions just basically get on with it as your body let's you. First few days swelled up if I put too much on it, still feels tight physio every fortnight, have driven a few times and that feels okay, anytime I am sitting I try to elevate it to reduce swelling, am still taking anti inflammatory meds as I have a heel

Sour on the other foot

I have found it's a physiological thing with me as I think if I walk on it it will snap again- strange feeling sonwill keep you updated how work goes, and physio 

Good luck with your and hope your well on the road to recovery 

• Posted

Hi,

I also get a bit of swelling. Also, if I try to walk ‘normally’ I get a sharp pain in the Achilles area. Probably a sign that I shouldn’t be walking on it fully just yet!

An ankle boot with a small heel seems the best option of footwear for me at the moment. Not as comfy as a trainer but seems more supportive.

Clare 

• Posted

Hi .

I also had my boot removed on 22 nd . Ive been back at work since last  wednesday and im a brickie so i have to be carefull . I do put a wedge in my work boot to take the pressure of tendon . Mine swells up a bit , a compression sock helps a lot . Was you op or conservative root ?.

Keep going and good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.