Achilles Tendon Rupture first week

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

Recently tore my Achilles and thought I'd join to ask for advice and share experiences via the forum.

Only recently done this 5 days ago playing football. Was put in a boot with wedges , then couple days later went in for scan which revealed the rupture. Phone call next day to go to speak to surgeon to discuss options. I've chosen non surgical I'm mid 30s and understand now I can't run around like a 19 year old anymore.

So have a cast, as I was receiving the cast the nurse gave me some tinzaparin or innohep as it's called elsewhere. Quite alarming to be honest as I've never been given blood thinning medicine and one were I have to inject myself.

All this combined with sitting in the house has got me really down. I also wasnt sat down and told what else I can take with this including ibuprofen etc so I haven't taken any painkillers. Still have some swelling to the foot and I only notice it when I go to toilet or get up and feel the blood go down to my foot and it stings.

Well theres my story if anybody could give me some peace of mind or advice going forward I'd appreciate it. I know I've got a long journey but I'll get there.

thanks

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I ruptured mine 29th September nearly 6 months ago. A&E did the Thompson test was put in the cast sent home with the blood thinners and crutches. 2 weeks later trauma clinic put my foot in the boot. I've been going to physio every 2 weeks. I've never had a scan or seen the consultant.

I went for a private consultation he examined my leg told me there's still a gap. I'm awaiting MRI scan then discuss the operation. I feel that I was fobbed off for 5 months I knew my leg wasn't right.

• Posted

sounds like you've had a bad experience. With mine so far everything is going quickly so in a way I'm glad it's not getting left and they are looking after me.

So are you still in a boot?

• Posted

No was in the boot for approx 10 weeks then had heel raises in my shoes for approx 4 weeks. I went for physio exercise bike and heel raises whilst sitting also standing on one leg. I knew it wasn't healed no scan nothing. I was told wait 6 months before real physio begins. Meaning that's when I get to see the consultant. My physio told me he can't refer for xrays etc but my GP can.

I got referred for a private consultation told there's still a gap. I've just had a cancellation appointment for MRI. The consultant told me once he assessed the damage he will operate.

So I've swapped hospitals and consultant. I'm really not happy I'm hobbling about. Tendon is held together with scar tissue.

• Posted

I ruptured mine 29th September nearly 6 months ago. A&E did the Thompson test was put in the cast sent home with the blood thinners and crutches. 2 weeks later trauma clinic put my foot in the boot. I've been going to physio every 2 weeks. I've never had a scan or seen the consultant.

I went for a private consultation he examined my leg told me there's still a gap. I'm awaiting MRI scan then discuss the operation. I feel that I was fobbed off for 5 months I knew my leg wasn't right.

• Posted

• Posted

Also what do you guys recommend for my swelling. I don't think it's bad as what I've seen in other cases but as I said before once it's not elevated and I'm standing my foot stings and can feel the blood go down and stings. Do I need to be standing up more? my toes go a bit purple and my leg swells a bit

• Posted

happened to me for 3-4 days, kept leg elevated as much as possible, moving toes.

• Posted

I'm day 6 now, stinging isn't as bad but still concerned.

Thanks Andy

• Posted

Hi, i have recently had 2 operations on my achilles. I'm in the boot, and taking out the inserts but my foot is still very pointed. My calf muscle has worn away. Does anyone know how long it takes with physio to be able to start walking again?

• Edited

Hi I did a complete tear of my Achilles Tendon playing Tennis. Was put in a boot with wedges 6 weeks ago. I am now wedge free and go tomorrow for a checkup. Never had much pain except first couple of weeks with the full wedge insert feeling damn uncomfortable. I had to undo the straps over my foot to be able to sleep. I had no idea some people take blood thinners to reduce blood clot risk. Though I have not beared weight I have kept moving my toes and bending my knee, leg lifts that kind of thing. Have been using a knee scooter to get around. Really helpful as I feel more stable then using crutches and can get around faster. My ankle area is still swollen seven weeks after tear. My questions for my Dr appointment tomorrow include do I have an ultrasound to see how the tendon is actually doing. When should I begin with a Physiotherapist? When can I bear weight? What exercise equipment is recommended for rehab, exercise bike, treadmill etc? When can I drive? It is my right leg so haven't been able to drive.

• Posted

This sounds quite reassuring if youre out of the cast after 6 weeks. I dont leave my cast on over night though, they told me i didn't have to...

• Posted

Man ive just done this myself! 4 days ago! I'm also feeling really down, im taking ibuprofen and those awful blood thinning injections. I'm 41 and i just cant believe how the long the recovery time is going to be.

• Posted

hello kenny

On a similar path. Tore my achilles playing football (49). I'm on day 13 and feeling gutted about the current predicament and long road ahead. Waiting for a scan but physio confirmed gap and in a boot (pointing downwards) and on crutches. Majorly boring already.

Done the course of injections and moving about slowly but all weight on boot rather than foot.

Hanging my boots up and going to buy a turbo trainer off Amazon to start cycling in two/three weeks if i can.

good luck in your recovery man!

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.