Achilles Tendon - Surgical Route. My story.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Achilles Tendon - Surgical Route.

I ruptured my Achilles Tendon in May 2014 playing football.

I went to my GP after one week since football injury not realizing the damage I had actually done.

I was unable to lift of my tip toes which started to worry me and prompt me to call the GP.

During my GP Visit I was told to go to A&E right away, I was told by the nurse at Hospital I had a sprained ankle, this was the 1st week of June 2014. I asked for a scan but he declined.

I went to my GP the 1st week of July to see why my "sprained ankle" was feeling worse and painful. My GP did the Thompson test and explain something was seriously wrong and may be a Rupture in my Achilles Tendon and booked me in for an MRI scan at Warwick Hospital.

MRI Scan was booked in for a week later, (Mid July). MRI Scan showed full rupture between heel and calf muscle.

After Warwick Hospital decided to not contact me for a week I called in and they lost my paper work, then they lost more paper work after I returned forms. It was so bad I complained to the NHS.

Late August 2014 I was put into surgery for a date in September which I was unable to attend due to a Holiday I booked back in January 2014.

Surgery re-scheduled for 20th October 2014. Since operation I had been in a hard cast for 2 weeks, I was then in a fiberglass cast for a further 2 weeks.

I had the cast removed on the 19th November 2014 (4 weeks + 3 days)

I am now in an open boot that supports me as I can walk in this freely without crutches as i can fill with air pressure to support me. I am also able to take off during the night to sleep which is a massive bonus.

I will be taking this boot off on the 7th of January 2014 (7 weeks in total)

I have read and spoke to many people who have been on the same path to recovery as me. It seems many people have been given physio to do whilst in the boot and also they haven’t had the hard cast or open boot on for as long as me.

I am 24 years old I would think being younger than most people I should be the one having the boot on for a lot less time not the other way round as it seems.

I also wrote his so everyone who is going through the recovery of a Achillies Tendon (Surgery repair) can see what i have been through.

1 like, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

After 7 weeks in the air boot, today it is finally off and just drove to work, goodbye buses!

On my check up, I was told nothing in regards to how my leg will take to fully recover, i was quite annoyed as it was me who had to ask the questions.

I asked him how long in till i should be back to walking normally again, i was told within the next 3 months. I don’t no where 3 months came from because i just dropped my car off at the garage to be checked and i walked to work without a problem or pain.

I also asked him how long in till i am running again he said it’s different for different people, so i asked him again how long till i can run and he said he can’t give me a straight answer because that’s what the physio is for? (Anyone else told different?)

Waiting on my letter from the hospital regarding my physio so we can get started hopefully sooner rather than later.

Overall i feel a lot happier walking around without the air boot on. I wish the NHS would be more helpful as it feels a constant struggle with them, but I am into the next step of recovery now and fingers cross i don’t have any more problems with my Achilles tendon

Will update on physio in near future.

• Posted

J you're very lucky to be up and about in 7 weeks.  I am still in airboot 3 months later as when cast came off after 8 weeks I developed tendonosis from doing too much too soon.  I am completely frustrated so I understand how you feel but do take care. I'm doing everything privately so booked my own physio sessions. Had to stop physio before Christmas as it was aggravating the area but hope to take boot off next week and start back again.   Get yourself a good physio. That's very important! This is my second AT tear other leg last time so I've been through the ups and downs of this before!! Good luck with your rehab 
    • Posted

Hi Jacinta

I dont feel lucky having ruptured my achilies 9 months ago. But i am glad its finally on the next step. i hope physio will be kind to me and get me walking back to my old self. I am also cautious in my other leg, just the other day i got a slight sting in my (good) ankle and asked the doctor today who said "my job is to focus on recovering your left leg for now", so even though my right leg feels fine you reckon i should get this checked out?

Get myself a good physio do you reckon the NHS wouldn't be as good?

Sorry to hear about your trouble hopefully we both get there in the end!

Thanks Jordan

• Posted

hi

Glad at last you have your boot off ! And walking and driving must be bliss ,did they say you could drive or did you not ask in case they said no haha. Second day in boot cant believe i'll ever be able to walk in this wedged boot and it hurts my foot too, glad to take it off at night so hoping it gets easier, did a bit with crutches today to get use to them .

I found the physios that dealt with me in hospital were really good and gave good advice about afterwards i too run and am really missing it so am hoping to be able to run at some time but right now i would just like to walk to the local shop.

Hope you dont have to wait too long for your physio and hope you get a good one

enjoy the walking x

• Posted

Jordan, 

Your good leg has been working extra hard so I wouldn't worry too much I got some twinges too but I just stretched it out - get your physio to look at it too.   Regarding NHS physio I'm sure it's fine but I'm in Ireland and the wait list can take a bit of time plus you may not be able to get as many sessions as you may wish?  Going privately you get to choose when and how often.  Obviously it's costly but if you can afford a few sessions it's well worth it. 

• Posted

Hi Mason,

I never asked if i was allowed to drive or not, i just took my own advice on that one smile.

The first week i struggled, it hurt my foot, my achilies tendon was streching which was painful. You will get used to it, the more you walk the easier it will eventually become trust me.

Waiting on a letter from the NHS so hopefully i can get started asap!

Thank you x

• Posted

Ok then at least it wasnt just me. I will do, hopefully they wont mind doing both legs! I think i will go to the physio the NHS will set me to do, then book a few with a private company to see if they sugguest anything else.

thanks

• Posted

Hi

I think like u will not even ask about driving :-) .

Have been using my crutches more to get around so I put more weight on leg so that should help I will persevere

Now just need to get rid of all this dead skin so leg looks normal again .

• Posted

They shouldn't mind doing two legs! Mine didn't it's only a few minutes extra and they can show you a few things to do yourself at Home!
    • Posted

Yes i had my first physio session yesterday with the NHS, fantastic. Caroline is my Physiotherapist and she is fantastic, she has said the excerises i am doing on my bad leg will help with recovery on my right leg. very happy smile.

• Posted

Hello all since my last post last week, I have had my first encounter with a Physiotherapist. Fantastic lady called Caroline.

She has answered everything I need to know, gave me great exercises to do 3 times a day which I have decided to do before Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. Told me no running or jumping around (which I can’t do anyway). Checked my flexibility and muscle in my leg and said for someone who has had surgery in October it’s in great condition, my scar has recovered well, been told I can do light exercise on my stable bike at home, so positive feedback.

I told her my goals were to be playing football for next season (July) and Skiing this year (March-April) She said they are both very possible and said it’s more than likely I will be able to go skiing. Very happy indeed smile!

I got another session in 2 weeks’ time, to see how my progress has gone.

After 9 months since snapping my Achilles tendon it’s finally looking good guys smile.

Will update my story in a couple weeks smile.

• Posted

That sounds great! I'm 19 weeks into conservative treatment and moving round pretty much ok, but the calf muscle is the last bit that needs to get better; still can't toe lift yet, but walking duriation is getting better.. but its much slower than I was hoping for (but reading the posts here, its pretty normal)
    • Posted

Great news J, it's great when you get some positive news and feel you're making progress.  I went 3 steps forward then 2 back so still not happy.  Consultant told me to take cast off but because I went back to work this week and I am on my feet all day, I have decided to leave it on for 2 weeks to be safe as last time I took it off I got into bother.   I did a month of physio but my phsyio told me to pause as he felt it was too much for my leg.  I agreed.  I am doing a home programme at home but will start back with him again next week.  I can't afford to do further damage as I need to work! 
    • Posted

hi

That sounds like great news so glad its going well for you and skiing in april how cool!!.

So glad i found this forum been in my walking boot nearly two weeks now and am happly up and down stairs walking around with one crutch and can walk unaided too but that does take more effort!! but i've only been able to do this from reading info from here and having belief that i can do it !Looking forward to taking out one wedge and stopping my injections which i've had to do from day one . Keep up physio as i've been told thats the way to get back running and i believe theres alot of running in football unless your the goalie good luck for next appointment

• Posted

Thanks Tim, im getting stronger each day. the streches and toe lifts i have been given are hard work but im pushing myself to get back to normal asap. 

Yesterday my ankle was feeling abit sore and stiff from the physio work load so taking it abit easier last couple days, 2 sessions instead of the normal 3. Overall progress is happening!

Glad to hear your also moving around ok, i am the same with my calf muscle and walking, as we have both said before its just one long process..

• Posted

Yes finally some positive news for me finally got me on a high.

I wouldn't be to happy either jacinta but you'll get there in the end as you did before. I dont blame you taking extra precaution as i have also with my physio, i've slowed down the past couple days as it has been slightly sore. I dont no if i should continue physio through the soreness or stop and rest.

• Posted

Thank you Mason, looking forward to my next session to show Caroline my progess.

Glad to hear your walking around in your boot. It gets even easier, by the 7th week mark in my air boot i was walking around like it was 2nd nature. i do miss doing them injections in to my stomach every day, i loved them.......

Im really looking forward to getting back to my football, my team have been missing the star striker for far to long now wink.

• Posted

Hi jordan

Arr star striker they must be missing you;-) I use to run so am hoping to get back to it by end of year hopefully At the moment walking would do !

Havent got out much but went out twice at weekend so starting to feel more normal now.

Hospital next week hoping all ok so i get to take last wedge and get foot flat but thats only 3 weeks in boot so guessing I have at least another month to go good luck with next physio hope it all stays positive for you x kate x

• Posted

I had to stop j for a couple weeks it was too painful and counter productive. Listen to your physio but also your own body! We all want to go faster to get back to normal but slow and steady wins the race!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.