Achilles Tendon - Surgical Route. My story.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Achilles Tendon - Surgical Route.

I ruptured my Achilles Tendon in May 2014 playing football.

I went to my GP after one week since football injury not realizing the damage I had actually done.

I was unable to lift of my tip toes which started to worry me and prompt me to call the GP.

During my GP Visit I was told to go to A&E right away, I was told by the nurse at Hospital I had a sprained ankle, this was the 1st week of June 2014. I asked for a scan but he declined.

I went to my GP the 1st week of July to see why my "sprained ankle" was feeling worse and painful. My GP did the Thompson test and explain something was seriously wrong and may be a Rupture in my Achilles Tendon and booked me in for an MRI scan at Warwick Hospital.

MRI Scan was booked in for a week later, (Mid July). MRI Scan showed full rupture between heel and calf muscle.

After Warwick Hospital decided to not contact me for a week I called in and they lost my paper work, then they lost more paper work after I returned forms. It was so bad I complained to the NHS.

Late August 2014 I was put into surgery for a date in September which I was unable to attend due to a Holiday I booked back in January 2014.

Surgery re-scheduled for 20th October 2014. Since operation I had been in a hard cast for 2 weeks, I was then in a fiberglass cast for a further 2 weeks.

I had the cast removed on the 19th November 2014 (4 weeks + 3 days)

I am now in an open boot that supports me as I can walk in this freely without crutches as i can fill with air pressure to support me. I am also able to take off during the night to sleep which is a massive bonus.

I will be taking this boot off on the 7th of January 2014 (7 weeks in total)

I have read and spoke to many people who have been on the same path to recovery as me. It seems many people have been given physio to do whilst in the boot and also they haven’t had the hard cast or open boot on for as long as me.

I am 24 years old I would think being younger than most people I should be the one having the boot on for a lot less time not the other way round as it seems.

I also wrote his so everyone who is going through the recovery of a Achillies Tendon (Surgery repair) can see what i have been through.

1 like, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm one day post op feeling sleepy and very tender - was teaching a Y6 gym class when my AT went suddenly.  Feeling rather sorry for myself as never been so inactive and dependent.  I'm an expat living in Dubai so no close family around either - makes things really tough.  I'm in a back cast and on crutches for next two weeks then if all well will go into a brace for 3 months.  I broke my left tib and fib skiing in 2004 and since then have had on and off painful achy achilles and despite seeing GP on numerous ocassions was told nothing really that can be done other than stretching excercises.  Wondering at what point is it possible to return to work?  Worried about incidence of a re rupture too so playing very safe and following advice to the letter and doing absolutely nothing for these 2 weeks.  Will there always be an inherent weakness in the operated AT or will it be as good as knew once healed?  Thanks for replies and good to hear success stories - wishing I was 6 months down the line from this and resuming normal activities.  Suze   
    • Posted

Conservative treatment here, but I gather the long term recovery is pretty similar, 20 weeks down the road. If theres one thing I have learnt is it takes longer than you want to get better but you will get there. Went for my first 6 mile ramble yesterday; no problems with the tendon repair but general fitness and calf and leg and foot fitness is way down. Gym every other day and working on exercises that excellent physio gave me, waiting for a podiatrist appointment as I may have some foot tendon and heel pad issues  as well. Good luck :-)

• Posted

Sorry to hear Suzanne, i was the same i felt sorry for myself, inactive is just horrible for sports persons like us. i played football, boxed and ran more or less every day.

You just have to take every day as it comes, i know it’s tough. My Physio - Caroline told me the changes or re-rupture is very rare. She also said she has been in the NHS for 8 years and had 2 persons have Achilles tendon re-ruptures, only because they didn't take there physio seriously and tried to run to soon without her consent. So it looks promising having no re-rupture.

That question about weakness on the operated AT is a question i asked. Caroline told me i will get back to normal it will just take time.

• Posted

Suzanne, welcome to the ATR club sorry to say!! It's normal to feel down initially, then up, then down again as it's such a slow process but with the correct rehab programme I promise you will get there... I did surgery on left leg few yrs ago now this time conservative mgmt. both equally long but never had trouble after surgery just less elasticity and stiff in mornings even still! Getting the right physio is key! Anyway in the meanwhile chin up and stay in you touch!
  • Posted

Hello all, my last post was a couple of weeks ago and thought I’d give an update to people who are interested in my recovery process.

Today i went to my 2nd meeting with my physiotherapist Caroline on the NHS. She asked me to perform 3 types of stretches to see my progress, she said my flexibility tests I performed were brilliant and my flexibility was just as good as my good leg.

I then showed her my strengthening exercises I was given and she said I need to improve, but I am going in the right direction and told me to do more a day.

I showed her my balanced, it was terrible. This is my own fault as I completely forgot about the balance exercises given so I’m going to focus on this with great deal in till my next meeting.

Overall i am quite please in the progress i have made in the past 2 weeks, i am going to keep doing the stretches even though I been told I no longer need to, and improve on the balance and strengthening.

It’s now been 3 months since the surgery, 8 months since I ruptured my tendon and things are looking up more each week, I am walking fine without a problem these days, the next step is being able to run.

Keep strong everyone.

• Posted

5 months since mine; signed off the NHS physio. Walking is fine but I'm still having problems with a weak calf muscle which makes a bit of a limp. Tendon is fine, but the foot is still a bit swollen after walking or standing a long time. Sole of foot round toes and ball of heel is still a bit numb, seeing a podiatrist next month. Also booked a private physio session to review exercises as theres still a generral weakness of the legs .. at 65 its frightening how rapidly you loose tone.
    • Posted

Wow! You must be floating on air.. you're almost there. Super inspirational for me at foothills of progress 😬 .... I have at least 8 months aghhh! That does seem such a long time - October infact. Have you been recommended hydrotherapy at all or permitted to swim at certain point? Not excited about having stitches removed this Thurs but keen to get rid of cast and hoping to be 'somehow' more mobile. Not sure if I should return to work or if best to rest, not rush into more problems. Have to say that initial dark cloud is lifted and I am in no pain which is concerning as don't want abundance of confidence ... keep wanting to put left foot to floor test it 😬.

Thank you all for replies & updates - it's really kept me going 😘

asked

• Posted

hi

so glad your doing well i so want to exercise my leg when boots off but am stopping myself !!

Love reading your updates as its going so well i had a appointment cancelled this week so not too happy but have one for next monday which will be four weeks in a walking boot so hoping only maybe a couple more weeks to do then ill be on the physio route too .

I have a question for people has anyone used anything on thier scar to help fade it at all ?? thinking bio oil ?? Has anyone else used anything else ?

keep up the physio and im sure your be running before you know it good luck x

• Posted

hi

good luck with cast and stitches coming out i had staples 42 !! but didnt hurt that much .

ive been in a walking boot just over 3 weeks now and first couple of days didnt believe id be able to walk about but this forum def made me realise i could and i am happily getting about now up and down stairs in and out house now so dont despair that it feels strange at first as your soon be getting about .

i dont work have a three year old at home but i can basically do so much more in walking boot just because you can put both feet down but if i am on my feet all day my ankle does get sore so i suppose it depends what your job is and how good your bosses will be to you ,but life does get much better once in a boot so your have that to look forward to on thursday good luck kate x

• Posted

NHS have signed you off and your still struggling, cant say i am surprised. 65 or even 24 i lost alot of tone as well, it has become alot stronger in these past 2 weeks started running in water at my local swimming pool, which i believe has helped me alot. I am now able to hold a tip toe on my recovering leg all on its own so massive improvment these past couple weeks. It has been 2 weeks since you made this comment have you had much luck with the private physio session and podiatrist?
    • Posted

Sorry i haven’t replied in till now, i have been working around the country with not much Wi-Fi excess. I sure do Suzanne! it’s been great these past 2 weeks, every week in fact my tendon gets stronger and stronger. I have been strict to the physio sessions, which i believe is why my progress is going so well.

I have never been told to do exercise in a pool, but i have be doing this myself once a week i been running and swimming at my local pool area trying to get it stronger. I have physio tomorrow so I hope she think my progress is getting even better!

How did the stitches go, not to painful i hope? i was lucky i had dissolvable stitches. When does your cast come off?

• Posted

Sorry only replying now. How are you getting on in the walking boot, you may even been finished soon am i right? I havent used anything on my scar at all, i have got bio-oil at home i may try that myself as that is for scars isn't it. After 5-6 weeks when i took my boot off at night also wanted to do excersie and i did start to strech my ankle.

Thank you Mason, i am glad its going to plan as well. i will do an update tomorrow after i have had my 3rd physio session. All the best to you as well.

• Posted

Not so much struggling, its just taking a lot longer to get back to 100% ok than I feel it should.. life isnt fair! There wasn't much more than the physio (NHS) could do; the tendon is fine and the calf needs work for which I've got the exercises. I did pay for a private 2nd opinion, and got some more exercises to do at the gym and at home; woking on a wider range of muscles from bottom down! Still not able to toe lift yet though. NHS reffered to the podiatrist, and she diagnosed an unrelated issue with the same foot, big toe and its tendon due to falling arch. Now got orthotic inserts and that certainly helping my walking. 5.6 miles last Sunday, but tired at the end... tendon fine though!

• Posted

Hi Tim,just curious about numbness in your foot? I'm almost 5 months out (no surgery) had 2X8 wks in walking boot. Surprisingly my calf muscle not too bad but the pain in sole of foot in inner arch and from big toe up to ankle joint is excruciating at times... Plus inflammation in ankle tendons.. I'm doing lots of physio and a home exercise programme to ease the pain. It is helping but because my job involves standing for long periods, some days good, some bad! Have you tried rolling your foot over a golf ball? It is painful but helps ease out any knots on sole!
    • Posted

Used bio oil on my first injury 15 yrs ago... Scar almost invisible...it dues fade in time ...hopefully not everyone as unlucky as me to do it again on other leg...just to feel well balanced....😉 this time no surgery but just as long!
    • Posted

Hi you sound like you are doing great. Similarly, I am also making good & speedy recovery (stitches made me wince though - tugging at bruised not even healed flesh ughhhh shudder). So I'm now almost a month post op (16/1) and second outpatients tomorrow to remove another wedge I think and begin some physio hopefully ... So here's the thing, I haven't been wearing the boot at home (only when I'm out) and I'm walking better each day with only a slight limp. I've been swimming every day for past 8 days albeit trailing left leg conscious to respect any ouch messages my body giving me. So doing more than I was advised at last 'stitches out' appointment but won't be running for a bus any time this month or next I doubt! I'm now addicted to achilles research and feel that early mobilisation is the right way to proceed - at least this seems to have worked for me or just been luck?? Don't know. I'm comfortable with foot flat on floor now and my range of movement increasing gently and can't wait to have green light to do more stretches and see if I can toe stand. Scar's healing nicely will eventually match the silver ones from tib and fib break - still can feel a little hot to touch at end of day but no infection just angry and although not in a cast it can really itch. I've been using Vaseline but will get myself some bio oil see if that's any better. Half term next week then I'm back to work = happy thought getting back to the routine & feeling 'normal'. I hope the fear of re rupture will go away- want reassurance that the surgery is strong and I can be confident and not have that worry plaguing me as want to get back to sports ASAP. Be interesting to find out what the physio programme is like here compared to UK/NHS. Keep us posted 😀

• Posted

hi

glad to hear your still doing well had my appointment last week and got to see my consaultant who put me back into shoes !! id only been in a boot 4 weeks and had been told at that time i would still have boot and need crutches !! I didnt even have my shoe with me !! I am pretty stiff in mornings but gets better as day goes on and driving now which is great.Ankle still hurts and am walking slow with a hobble but i can feel my tendon which must be good. Have first physio on friday so looking forward to getting some exercises to help leg but its just lovely to be on two feet again i have been using bio oil for two weeks now morning and night so hopefully that will help the scar.Hope your physio went well today it sounds like you are doing very well indeed .

• Posted

hi have been using for two weeks now morning and night so hopefully intime mine will be almost invisible if im lucky !! i so hope i never have to go through this again dont think my poor hubby could take it but its so nice to be back on two feet and doing normal things

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.