Achy all over

Posted , 10 users are following.

What do you ladies do for achy legs or just plain old achiness all over? I have been aching everywhere imaginable.

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is my number 1 problem and I have been searching high and low because I do not want to be on over the counter meds all the time. I use flax oil, omegas 3.6.9 and turmeric and to be very honest, none of this has been very effective. I am going to start fish oil and cod liver oil next week I heard fish oil is very  very good for joint pain. There are a lot of over the counter stuff glucosamine is one I have never used but I have heard a lot about. As far as the over the counter alleve has been the most effective but again, its not something I want to use permanently. I have heard that the HRTS dont help joint pain either.
    • Posted

Yeah I'm finding that some of the vitamins I'd been taking became ineffective. They worked at first but don't seem to anymore. I find myself trying this vitamin/herb and chucking it if it doesn't work and then seeing what else I can try. I probably need more calcium. I don't like milk so I'll have to do the supplement. My medicine cabinet is full of this and that vitamin or herb. My husband just shakes his head! Lol!
    • Posted

I know my husband thinks I am a hypochondriac and a vitamin fanatic and I want to tell him if you were dealing with constant pain, boobs hurting, and chest swelling, and joint pain, you would be going nuts. He would just get drunk and take sleeping pills
    • Posted

Mine would be the biggest baby!!! He gets a headache and you would think the world had to stop. He just sleeps it away. Gee...can you imagine how he'd be dealing with this!!!!😒
    • Posted

Mine too...How long have you been using flax oil and the rest? I've been taking tumeric and magnesium and I started back on the my HRT but every other day (as of 3 days ago). It all started when I went off HRT - like I'd aged a million years. I had a bad allergic reaction to glucosamine so be careful there. I've also read to use caution with fish oil because it gets rancid - certain brands are supposed to be better - My naturopathic DR told me to use Nordic Naturals Glucosamine Sulfate (from Denmark), but I got shortness of breath, bad headache and diarrhea. I thought I had the flu at first, but found I'm allergic to shellfish. My favorite (previous) Dr told me not to use glucosamine because it often has side effects and doesn't always work. I think the oils would be good from what I've read as long as they're good quality. I was thinking of taking the rosehip and salmon oil from Holland and Barrett that someone had referred to them by a So, African nurse-geriatrician - it's supposed to be as good as glucosamine but a fraction of the cost.

Let us know how it goes with the oils.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that it's critical to take Vit K2 when you take Vit D - they work in tandem to protect you from heart disease, blood clots, bones, skn, brain, preventing cancer etc. It's usually in multiple vitamins - and the dose for women is 90mcg or less.
    • Posted

They can't handle it. I don't care what anyone says, women are the stronger sex by far!! We have to endure a lot.
  • Posted

This was a major thing I suffered with in my mid to late 40's during perimenopause-very achy all over, especially the calves.  I am now 50 and just today, I have had a return of these symptoms (absent for about 4 months and I was so happy during that time).  

The only thing that helps me are warm compresses or moist heating pad.  Hot stone massage is therapeutic but is something that is not readily accessible. 

I feel your pain- I am miserable tonight and I know for certain it is hormone related.  Hope you feel better too.  

• Posted

I tried to tell a Dr about Menopausal Tendonitis and she looked at me like I was from another planet. It is a real thing though.
    • Posted

I am with you Lyn, I dont want to swear and I wont but they do not believe a FREAKING thing you tell them as it relates to it being menopausal, they are all trained that its something else, if its not a hot flash they think its something else. 
    • Posted

Yeah I am going to discuss the possibility of fibromyalgia as well. My pain can be widespread not just my legs.
    • Posted

Yes, (Lennie?), I believe it is fibromylagia because the symptoms are exactly the same.  Stinks doesn't it?  I knew one person who took Cymbalta for it but I just did not want to get into a regular medication like that.  

• Posted

Nope. which is why I am really distressed and frustrated with the entire medical establishment because very, very few know anything about menopause. Its like in medical school it was covered for 10 minutes and they said give them HRTS or tranquilizers. 
    • Posted

Yea, we almost have to be our own Dr...males Dr's will NEVER understand....if the female Dr is too young and not quite where we are, just wait...she'll look back and realize what we were all trying to say and if the Dr is a female old enough to be where we are or older, then shame on her.
    • Posted

Totally agree about male doctors, I have a female Nurse Pract and she is my age, and I just started with her, so I cannot really pass judgement yet, but the first visit she was very focused on my diabetes which is good, but when I brought up menopause she just sort of nodded. We will see how it goes, but I am with you, we have to be our own doctor.
    • Posted

The side effects of these drugs are very worrisome and I have significant health anxiety on top of everything else. I am such a horrible mess. My memory is really bad, I cannot believe I have come to this when a few years ago I felt great. I saw a picture of myself 5 years ago and the first thing that came to my mind was wow I was not in  menopause I seemed so happy. Looking at the picture made me depressed.

• Posted

Thank you Sharon. It is good to know I'm not alone. It doesn't take the pain away but it is a comfort.
    • Posted

Oh it is definitely for real. I have never had any of these symptoms , (esp the achiness), before age 45, so I know it is hormones and  nobody can convince me I am imagining it.  

There are some women who just don't get these severe symptoms so it is difficult sometimes to get someone to listen, especially if they have not gone through this.  

• Posted

I know what you mean. I use to be so active and saw a picture of myself and I just teared up because things seem so much different now. Sure wish men could understand this just a little at least.
    • Posted

That's the problem I have, my doctors have either been males or females that are too young. And the ones who were at least close to my age and we're trying to remain "professional" and not divulge personal testimonies, then shame on them indeed!
    • Posted

Oh Lennie, I know how you feel. I look at my wedding picture on my dresser and feel like that all the time, thinking that I had no idea what was ahead. I used to have really bad periods before the kids came. But I never expected menopause to be this brutal.
    • Posted

Yes, that's so wrong on so many levels. I'm so fed up with uncaring Dr's who think a patient is crazy or needs to see a psychiatrist because they have health anxiety ONLY because they are unfamiliar with Whats going on and gees, we're not 30 something to where we feel invincible anymore, and yet because it doesn't address a certain issue in that Merck Manuel, they think we need a pill. That's the kind of care we are getting and they wonder why we have health anxiety.
    • Posted

Me either, I never ever had anything like this, I was not prepared for it at all, I thought it was from exercising and that I had done something, but when it lasted month after month, I realised it was definitely due to the menopausal issues.
    • Posted

I agree Shar that even if the dr is a woman and our age, they have to keep it professional, however, my n,p said she hates getting mammograms and understands why so many women avoid them because they are miserable. So, maybe she and I can address some of these issues down the line.
    • Posted

I thought it was from exercising which I wasn't use to and just being older. I really never associated it with hormones..
    • Posted

I wish they could too.  its funny because the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was wow that was before menopause, its like my life is a pre menopause and now this. And, this sucks rocks really bad.
    • Posted

Yep me too-hit me like a ton of bricks.  I am so achy tonight -don't know if I will be able to fall asleep.  It was starting to get better since I turned 50 but it is back with a revenge.  Ages 47-49 were the worst for me and then I had a nice break for about the last 4-5 months, before I turned 50.  We will see what the rest of 50 will be like!  Right now, it is not looking good! 

Take care 

• Posted

Sharon, I was on a website about fibromyalgia and menopause and here are some natural ideas from a naturalist who says the medicine is only a bandaid, it does not address the root problem: Some key nutrients that are helpful for fibromyalgia, there are many other good things but the moderator will block me if I put the website down.

B-complex vitamins for energy, immunity, nerve, and brain function

Magnesium for muscle energy

Selenium for the best immune function

Vitamin C for oxidative stress

Fatty acids, such as omega-3 to help promote cell membranes and mood

Vitamin D for mood, immunity, and the musculoskeletal system

Zinc for cell health

Iodine for thyroid health

• Posted

I know the B vitamins help and I am going to buy a good B complex next week. I am out of mine and have been out for awhile. 
    • Posted

I agree, I really dont have anyone to talk to about any of this,. NOBODY
    • Posted

Yes! I'm so blessed to have found this site. I have seen others but none like this site where I feel like at times we are all in the same room talking things through which really helps!😊
    • Posted

I I agree this is a fantastic site because everyone is dealing with the same issues.  My daughter is great but she really has no clue, her real response when I brought it up was I am glad I am not dealing with that, and my mom says I really did not have that at all, and I have not talked to other female family members my grandma is too old and my aunt lives out of town. My husband is the worse when it comes to this, he just says walk it off or tell the dr. Mostly, he is of no help.  Thank God for you guys.
    • Posted

No I don't either- that is why I went searching on the Internet for help and found this board.  Several of my friends who are in this same stage are really not experiencing some of these symptoms.  Most of them are having hot flashes- their only real symptom.  Funny-that is the only symptom I have not had.  

I once read that about 15% of the female population experiences severe menopausal symptoms.  I know for sure I am in that group.  My mother had a somewhat difficult menopause so I think there is a genetic thing there.  Though she just tells me to shut up.  My sister has similar symptoms, but other than that, I have nobody to talk to.  

Thanks for the diet suggestions- I will try some.   -- Sharon 

• Posted

I just saw where Vitamin D3 is helpful too, plus Epsom Salt Baths 3 times a week. However, I heard all of this takes months to work and sometimes none of this helps.
    • Posted

Yes! I know, I'm sitting here watching a movie with my husband and on my iPad and he sees tears rolling down my face and he asks what wrong and I said my heart breaks for all of you sharing your pain and he just doesn't get it....at all.
    • Posted

I know my mom only had hot flashes that's it, now she tells me she has leg pain, but that's probably more a function of being 75, but she tells me I drank Black Cohosh and that was good, in other words, she did not have a difficult menopause. I lived with my grandma when she was in her 50s but I was only 9 years old so I never saw anything out of th way, but I would not have known anyway.
    • Posted

Thanks Lennie- the Epsom Salt Baths sound nice! I have heard vitamin B is is really helpful for energy.  
    • Posted

Lynn-you are sweet smile  Thanks for thinking of all of us and I hope some day soon we can all be rid of this menopause monster!  
    • Posted

Lyn, so do I... hard not to do so when we feel so bad.  Take care.  Glad we can be here to help each other.
    • Posted

I do really hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel until then....I need some comfort food!🍕🍰🍪🍦
    • Posted

Good Night everybody, I have to go to work early tomorrow morning, But, I will be here tomorrow, thanks everyone for the community spirit, we will ge through this together. I for one will start the Epsom Salt Baths tomorrow.  Ahh as I am typing my shoulders are aching. LOL Good NIght 
    • Posted

Great list. Be sure to add Vit K2 - 90 mcg for women - it works in tandem with Vit D to protect from heart disease and other things like blood clotting, bones, brain, skin and cancer.  

• Posted

I read that when we take Vit D3 (I take 5,000 IU a day), we're supposed to also take Vit K2 - 90 mcg (per Dr Weil), they work in tandem to keep our arteries healthy - blood clots, bones, skin, brain and cancer prevention. 
    • Posted

Oh Lennie I really feel for you on this as im the same, I can't bear looking at pictures of myself from before either and even a couple of years ago, I looked happy smiley and carefree. My daughter said the other day ' mum you always look so sad'. I too have horrid health anxiety and obsess about things 24/7 it makes me paranoid about everything. - feel like I'm gonna be like this forever and yes I do feel sorry for myself im a sad mess . I take cod liver oil, feroglobin , vit e, b, Osteocare , Vit c and for me I don't believe any of them make the slightest bit of difference x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I had gone months only getting a couple of hours of sleep about a month ago my Dr. Prescribed B-12  total change I sleep 8 hrs I'm not tired all day I no longer need naps,I overall feel great in that department still working on other symptoms but this was the most important as it was affecting my  whole day at home and at work give it a week and see what changes if any happen for you.... Goodluck 
    • Posted

Hi Holly, 

Wow that's great.  Did you need a prescription from the doctor for this?  Is this the vitamin B12?  The same as you get at drugstore of nutrition store?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.