acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!  I have just discovered thiis forum, and would be pleased if someone could help!  I have been suffereing from bad heartburn and acid reflux, and have been diegnozed with a hiatus hernia.  someone suggested I take a multivitamin with a probiotic but i have tried probiotics, and they make me very nosius. I have also been told that anything which contains vitamin c can make heartburn and acid reflux worse!  please could someone give me the name of a really good multivitamin which i could take and would help.  I seem to be always tired and lack energy.  Please someone help!  Val.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My doctor says stress and alcohol and citrus food makes this condition worse and we shouldn't be too strict with diet .
    • Posted

Hi Maureen!  Thanks for replying, but can you reccomend a multivitamin which would be suitable?  I can't seem to take probiotics as they seem to make me very nosius, so it would have to be something without them, and which wouldn't cause nosea.  I'm taking 20mg twice daily of omeprazole, and 10mg 3 times daily of domperidone.  i've heard that you have to take a multivitamin supliment when you are on these meds.  can you help?  is there anyone out there who can give me the name of a good multivitamin which i could take, and which would be suitable?  Val
    • Posted

Funny Holland and Barratt no longer sell that type. I was buying it there with difficulty as they only got a few in a week.  

Now they only have the nasty soya types.

What make do you buy and where from?

• Posted

Some are better than others. I thought that you might have sound a super duper one:-)

I normally buy Yeo Valley.

• Posted

Vitamins ain't gonna help:-)

You have been diagnosed so what did your doctor or consultant reccomend?

Dietary changes, lose weight if needed. Medication, Gaviscon if lucky if not a proton pump inhibitor.

• Posted

Hi Derek!  I am on 20mg omeprazole twice daily, also, domperidone 10mg 3 times daily, plus, gaviscone advance 3 times.  I have been told, that these meds can have an effect on loss of vitamins.
    • Posted

I've been taking omeprazole for at least twelve years and have not noticed any problems with it. It is reputed to lower bone density and can cause stomach polyps amongst other things.. Prior to then I had lack of sucess with the other PPI's

I keep a bottle of Gaviscon handy and sometimes take some during the night. You should always take the gaviscon at least two hours before or  after omeprazole.

I have taken domperidone but stopped it as there is a risk of arrhythmias

with it particularly for over 60's and having been there and had  two cardioversions I now avoid it. I did though find it quite effective.

Have you tried putting bricks/books under the back of your bed to tilt it up to stop acid coming up in the night?

There is also Manuka honey (expensive) A big spoonfull prior to meals puts a coating on your esophagus. I had to stop that as it put my blood glucose sky high. Also grated ginger root made into an infusion instead of tea can hrelp. 

• Posted

Hi Derek!  I have got special pillows for acid reflux and they seem to help.  My doctor told me that I can take the domperidone as long as i don't overdo the dozage she's prescribed.  I take the gaviscone advance after food, and this is usually 2 hours after taking the other 2 meds.  I've found that since taking the gaviscone my reflux doesn't seem to be so bad, especially at night.  The reason I asked about the multivitamin, was because i seem to lack energy.  i've been diegnozed with a hiatus hernia, so maybe this could be the problem with the energy thing!
    • Posted

It is one heck of a lot of medication. I play it by ear and try to stretch the PPI doses out a bit. I was diagnosed with a slight hiatus hernia in 1983 that has since grown a lot.

If only domperidone was more like Dom Pérignon!

• Posted

Hi Derek!  The reason I was put on domperidone, was because I was getting a lot of nosea, and was being sick quite a lot.  can you drink a glass of semiskimmed milk?
    • Posted

I drink milk but have given up on skimmed and semi skimmed.

My GP tells people that milk makes you produce more acid.

If my wife has acidity she drinks some milk before reverting to Gaviscon.

• Posted

Hi Derek!  My sister-in-law has also got a hiatus hernia, and she told me to take a glass of semiskimmed milk, but I haven't tried it  yet.  It just shows how opinions differ!
    • Posted

Agree with Derek that's a lot of meds.     Domperidone only speed up your digestion they're useless and dangerous I found 

a lot of us with reflux have a hiatus hernia my surgeon did my hernia whilst he was doing. The LINX procedure now o feel like a new man 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.