acid reflux

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I was just wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I have suffered from heartburn for years but only went to the doctor about a year ago. This is due to my fear of being sent for an endoscopy. Anyhow, the doctor said that I had typical symptoms of acid reflux but I did have a blood test that showed no sign of an ulcer or anything else. I was prescribed 150 mg of zantac to take daily, which worked for a whole year. It then stopped working and I tried taking two 150mg of zantac daily but even that did not work so I returned to the doctor. She said that I also had symptoms of IBS and prescribed me 20mg Omeprazole to take once daily. I have taken this for a week and I am still suffering although a bit less than what I was before. I have also been taking 75mg of zantac before bed to try and help. I am supposed to return to the doctor in 4 weeks to say how I got along. Should the Omeprazole have got rid of it completely by now or do I need to give it a few weeks. The doctor did not tell me to take the nighttime zantac but I have found that the reflux returns before bed as I take the Omeprazole in the morning.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I started on zantac then that stopped working now I take Lanzoprazole (similar to Omeprazole). My doctor told me not to mix the medication, so best not to take zantac or antacid liquid and let the omeprazole do it's job. Because I have acid relfux when I lay down at night I take my medication about an hour before I go to bed rather than in the morning.

Initially it took about 6 weeks for my burned oesophagus to heal and was on double dose. I then reduced the dose to a maintenance dose. I up the dose if I have had alcohol as it does make it worse. I have had this condition about 15 years and still on the same maintenance dose. Oh yes, I quite often get a sore throat which is when the acid creeps up and burns the throat basically.

I hope this helps. Jane

• Posted

Hi

I have been suffering from heartburn and indigestion for about eight weeks now. I started with gaviscon that didnt work and so went to my gp. She initially prescribed omeprazole which didnt seem to help after two weeks so she suggested I change to ranitidine (zantac). I have just been back as my symptoms have not improved. My gp has now suggested that I take both ranitidine and omeprazole and see how I get on. I have just had a blood test and await the results. I have googled to try and find out how long it takes for symptoms to improve once on the medication but cannot find anything. I am also being sent for an endescopy which I am absolutely dreading! My symptoms last for several hours which really worries me. Has anyone else had anything similar? I get indigestion, heartburn, slight stomach pains and nausea most days. I am the same as you Gary - wondering how long it should take for medication to work,

• Posted

Hi christina27,

Dont know if you have tried this but if you try taking your stomach med at least one hour before eating anything you might find an improvement. Works for me but if I eat directly after my tablet, pantoprazole, then I am not good all day. If you haven't tried this then try and see if it works for you. Doesn't give you licence to eat heavy, spicy food etc.

Regards,

Robert.

• Posted

Hi all. I have been told to take 2 Lanzoprazole daily for a month to see if that helps. I am on day 2 and it does seem to work better than omeprazole. He has told me because I am only 35 and not over weight that this may be a condition that I will need to treat throughout my life. He also told me to try and relax as that wont be helping. I find it very hard to relax when I get heartburn but I know that this makes it worse. I also take the tablet about an hour before eating which also does seem to make a difference.

I am also terrified of being sent for an endoscopy. Do they sedate you first?

• Posted

Hi Gary, i hope you are better  since you did post it over a year, anyway if you still not great, please go for endoscopy, i am glad i did, so the endoscopy  is not bad as sound, they sedate you at lest half, but is not paifull at all.good luck
  • Posted

Hi waterman - thanks for your suggestion - I will give it a go.

Hi gary35 - I am terrified of having an endoscopy too but I think I am going to have to resign myself to the fact that I am going to have one - it is my worse nightmare! You can have an endoscopy without being sedated (my brother and father in law have had it done without being sedated) but you can have a relaxant apparently if you wish. I watched a programme once where a man was having it done and he was given something to relax him - he did say after the procedure that he couldnt remember anything about it. So, If I do have it done then I will take that route I think, but I am petrified! Has anyone had one done?

• Posted

How did it go? I hated mine and will never have it the same way again.
  • Posted

Hi christina27,

I have had the procedure done 3 times and would have no problem having it done again. I know that it is hard not to be anxious about any medical procedure and I too have known that anxiety. I was given relaxants prior to procedure plus my throat sprayed with local anesthetic and may have gagged a little bit when they were putting the scope down but it was worth it all. I have also known people to have it done without any relaxants or any local anesthetic and went straight back to their work but I don't think that I would have been as brave as that. If you explain your fears to whoever is doing the procedure I am sure that they will do it whatever way they think will put you under the least stress. Probably the worst part of it is the fear before it.

Regards,

Robert.

• Posted

It really was not like that for me. I felt like I was being strangled to death. I was on the drugs but that made it worse as it felt like I was so drugged, I could not fight them off! I remember wishing they would just hurry up and kill me. If I have it doen again it will be in the nose and not on drugs. Please, anyone who is nervous ask for it in your nose and stay wide awake. The best drug for me would be valium so I'm relaxed but not out of it.
  • Posted

Hi all. I have been taking the Lanzoprazole twice a day for a week now and my heartburn is gone. The only problem is that my skin is itching all over and gone a little bit red in places. Not sure what to do. Should I persevere as my heartburn is so much better or should I return to see a doctor? I have also been taking mastic gum and probiotics, so could it be them. Any advice would be great.
  • Posted

Pleased to hear your heartburn has gone - I am on omeprazole and it hasnt got rid of the heartburn/indigestion totally. I know you said before that you were on omeprazole - did you go to the doctors and they changed it to lanzoprazole? I'm wondering whether to ask my dr if I can try that. With regard to the itchy skin, I personally would go to the gp about that and see what he suggests. By the way, what is mastic gum? I might try probiotics too and see if that helps.
  • Posted

Hi. Yeah I went to the doctor and he changed my prescription to two lanzoprazole daily. It has totally got rid of my heartburn and I feel fine. Its just the itchy skin which was really bad last night. Thing is I dont really want to stop the lanzoprazole as it works, unless they maybe try me on two omeprazole daily? I will go back to the gp and see what they suggest. Does anyone know if an allergic reaction to medication will calm with time?

I read that mastic gum is good for getting rid of heartburn and stomach ulcers, but I have stopped taking it now.

• Posted

hi all. Mastic gum does make a difference. i have found a good product that seems to be working for me. Not that you get rid of the symptoms but they become much milder.

I have a feeling that when i am on a double nexium (prazole) doses daily sometimes i get something like an internal anxiety growing in me. does anybody else have that feeling?

Emis Moderator comment: I have had to remove the link as we do not show direct links to selling sites. If anyone wants the information please use the messaging service

• Posted

I have been on medication for heartburn for years which hasn't made any difference now taking pantoprazole 40mg in the morning and ranitidine 300mg at night when I have a bad flare up I get high abdo pain like something is stuck and it makes me vomit the whole day had 3 camera tests as no one knows what it is and monometry study where they put a small tube down your nose to your stomach to measure the pressures and ph level i had to leave it In for 24 hours and record when I got symptoms maybe it's worth asking your gp to refer you to gastro to see if they can help you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.