Acid Reflux

Posted , 17 users are following.

Has anyone here developed acid reflux ow that they are in perimenopause? The only time in my lofe I ever experienced heartburn or acid coming up in my throat was when I was pregnant but as soon as I turned 46 (now I am 47) I started getting heart burn close to the time I would menstruate and now in the last month it is constant. Anyone else experience this and if so do you have any suggestions on how to cope. I have tried 3 meds: pepcid and zantac did not help at all and omeprazole caused some very scary side effects like debilitating panic, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi sarah, yes GERD and gi issues was one of my first clues in the peri mystery. I went to the hospital 2x with raging heart palps, chest pain, pressure, sweating...only to find out it was that. I tried meds, but they never agreed me.

I have managed it well by...stopping all eating 3 hrs before bed, elevate your head a little at night, I do not drink caffeine, alcohol or carbonated ( rarely ever did prior), no spicy foods, no overeating, mindful of fried foods especially at dinner, I take a shot of the chaulky mylanta antacid on a bad day. I get migraines, so most of these things are a no-no anyways.

• Posted

I am in the phase of trying major lifestyle changes. These symptoms freak me out. The heart palps are horrifying.

• Posted

I agree about the heart palps...I was admitted to the hospital twice...my dad died at 42 of a heart attack...so I was freaking out. the second time, I was there 3 nights for observation...ran several tests and heart work ups...even a heart cath...which sucked. My heart is tip top.

They put me on a beta blocker for the heart palps and a ppi for the acid. The ppi gave me terrible bathroom problems...the beta blocker lowered my blood pressure too much ( I run low anyway). No thanks to both those meds for me!

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Have you or any of the ladies on here ever tried Acupuncture to relieve symptoms?

I have been having Acupuncture for 12 years and originally (ironically) it was for my periods which he sorted within 6 months when I was 31 (after struggling with them from the age of about 14). He now treats my peri menopause symptoms, of which I have about 19 of them, and I know if I didn't have this amazing treatment I would be in a much worse state!

• Posted

hi nicky, yes, from 2015-2017 I did it weekely, then, every other week for tension headaches and neck pain. At $80 per session...did not do much of anything for me...except a quiet rest. She also did cupping for my tight neck muscles. Did nothing but hurt and leave huge bruises afterwards. I now have migraines since peri. Glad it is working for you...I have heard it can help so e people.

• Posted

I have a need phobia so never tried acupuncture but I am desperate so I will have to suck it up and give it go. Worth trying.

• Posted

hi sarah! ive had it only a few times, but rolaids help me. my husband used to have it real bad.. all the time..he was popping tums left and right.... he cut out all grain, watched his carbs and cut out sugar (except small amount of dark chocolate) he started this way of eating last february and he hasnt had to take any meds for heartburn since (and he lost weight) ....

my dad has it too but he takes gaviscon.. and that seems to help him lots (dad didnt change his diet at all... he loves his hot peppers 😃 )

hope some of this info can help you feel better!!! hugs!!!!

• Posted

oh yah i have it all the time now ! any one else have a constant sore throat from it

• Posted

hi sue! When it first hit, yes...but I thought it was allergies, etc. funny too, I have had strep throat twice in the summer...never had before in my life...probably cannot blame reflux for that...but peri surely is to blame... good times!

• Posted

right .. great times lol

my throat and tongue hurt all the time now because of the acid then my anxiiety kicks up because of it .. really super great times

• Posted

YES! Every sensation I get, the stomach or chest burn, radiating into ribs and back, etc... Sets off my anxiety and makes it so much worse. I took a trazedone last night and it stopped the burning so I am not sure which burn is acid reflux and which is me having an anxiety attack.

• Posted

Yes - this was one of my first symptoms and it still plagues me. I do my best to manage it with OTC remedies (herbal). I take a capsule mix of marshmallow, dried aloe vera, and slippery elm 2-3 times a day between meals. I find it does help.

I also chew DGL tabs when I feel it coming on and rising up into my throat.

My last resort if it is very bad is to take Zantac 75 with Gaviscon. I do find Zantac helps me. I also reacted poorly to omeprazole as well as Pepcid. Omeprezole actually gave me stomach pain and the Pepcid makes my heart race . Zantac doesn't bother me.

For what it's worth, I have read recently that melatonin has been very beneficial for people suffering acid reflux. There have been several studies about it. The only issue I have is that the dosage was too high for me to tolerate - 6 mg. I do take melatonin occasionally but only 1 mg. If I take a higher dosage it makes me feel unsteady when I get up the next day or in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Hope this info helps!

• Posted

Kim,

My dietician just ordered me a mix of herbs like that to try. They come this week. I am hopeful they help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.