Acid Reflux

Posted , 17 users are following.

Has anyone here developed acid reflux ow that they are in perimenopause? The only time in my lofe I ever experienced heartburn or acid coming up in my throat was when I was pregnant but as soon as I turned 46 (now I am 47) I started getting heart burn close to the time I would menstruate and now in the last month it is constant. Anyone else experience this and if so do you have any suggestions on how to cope. I have tried 3 meds: pepcid and zantac did not help at all and omeprazole caused some very scary side effects like debilitating panic, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have acid reflux really bad I went into a and e last week as I was in alot of pain. Had it for a few years but got worse since going through menopause. I'm on omeprazol now. It's awfull isn't it hun.. I'm on citalopram for anxiety which helps I also get palpitations which really scare me. Have you tried lansoprazol I was on that but it didn't help me but might be different for you x

• Posted

I have been extremely sensitive to antacids and ppis so I have no idea what to do. The heart palpitations terrify me too. Benn going to doctor getting test after test and nothing is showing up except him saying I probably have ibs and an ulcer/gerd/gastritis. But this all came in suddenly and when I google digestive issues I found articles that talked about perimenopause and I have felt I have been in that phase for at least a couple yrs. This hormonal transition is really awful and all the meds the doc gives me to deal I have bad reactions to 😦

• Posted

hi sarah - try taking magnesium to help with your heart palps -

• Posted

hi sarah - yep! been there done that - ER a few times thinking i was having a heart attack - Everything LOU has suggested really works, in addition start eating fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, kimchee, kombacha - your body needs more acid not less - try to wean yourself off those antacid Rxs, they are not good for you - try eating papaya enzemes and fresh parsley & fresh ginger - i have friends who swear by taking a shot of apple cider vinegar everyday really helps -

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Yes, changing hormones relax the lower esophageal sphincter so this is very common. I have been dealing with it for a year. I get lump in throat, sternum pain and pressure, pain in back, pain in chest, excessive burping, the works. I do take Prevacid which I think is milder than omeprazole, but I do not think it has helped much. I had an endoscopy and an ENT exam and everything looked fine, so it's good to know one can have these symptoms even long term and there may still not be any worrisome damage. I recommend Gaviscon Advance liquid from the UK which is available in the US from Amazon. It is a very different formulation from the US Gaviscon and works much better. Take 2 teaspoons at bedtime. I sometimes take 2 more in the middle of the night. Do not eat or drink anything after taking it, so make it the very last thing you do. The mint flavor bothered me but the aniseed is fine. It tastes terrible at first but by the second dose I was fine with it. That and sleeping on an incline helped a lot. It also helps not to sit on a soft couch or bend over for awhile after eating-- even to load dishwasher etc. Also liquids are a big thing for me. Cold water is a big reflux trigger. I only drink warm water and not immediately after or during meals. That makes a huge difference and is rarely talked about. Also in addition to spicy food, chocolate, soda, fried food, it is good to avoid overly acidic foods like salad dressings. I just use olive oil now. Giving up caffeine and alcohol has been a huge drag, but I got used to it and I have to say it has heped hugely with other symptoms like poor sleep, palpitations, and hot flashes. It's worth trying for awhile if you can stand it.

• Posted

Thank you Jen and everyone else for the helpful tips and advice. I will try your suggestions. I am also dealing with IBS so this has been a real downer 😦

• Posted

Has anyone experienced the worst sore throat only on one side? It is the holidays so drinking too much at parties and its driving me nuts

• Posted

Yes, that was one of my symptoms when I started down this lovely path. Unfortunately booze is one of the things you really need to give up for awhile along with acidic foods that can irritate the throat. Sleeping on an incline and taking Gaviscon Advance before bed as indicated above can also make a big difference.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Yes! I have been in peri for several years, but have had the reflux in just the last year or so. Hate it so much! I could live with heartburn but was NOT prepared for chest pain, morning nausea, and horrible taste in my mouth all the time.

I know many people who swear by probiotics for GI issues, but they made my heartburn and reflux so much worse!!

The one thing that has helped me tremendously that I don't see mentioned here yet was to switch pain relievers. I was taking ibuprofen (Advil) for a week at a time around my period to prevent period pain, on advice of a gyno.

I ran out at a busy time, and instead I would take acetomenophin (Tylenol) if the pain kicked up.

I was very surprised to find my stomach issues started improving as soon as I ran out of the ibuprofen. After a few weeks, I was no longer waking up nauseous at all, and the dry mouth/awful taste went away.

When my acid issues improved, so did my headaches... still get them, but not as often. Bonus!!

I hope you find the combo of things that helps you!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory . All NSAID do damage stomach mucus.

• Posted

Dear All,

If everyone had Acid Reflux, then got better? I am not sure all these peri,and meno symptoms will go away. If everyone had symptoms and go away please share wit us? Thanks, at least give us a hope!

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

All excellent recommendations here for sure! I too suffer from acid reflux but it has improved over the last couple of years. I completely gave up alcohol and switched from coffee to green tea or decaffeinated black tea. The acid in coffee did a number on my stomach.

I also take a daily (OTC) capsule that contains aloe vera, marshmallow and slippery elm. All are very helpful with gerd and coating the stomach lining. I think this daily regimen has helped me a lot.

• Posted

Yes and so glad to hear I'm not going mad for thinking this. I've been so ill for 2 months with severe GERD 24 hours a day every day never had anything like this before. I've suffered from IBS symptoms of wind and cramps throughout my life during my periods and read somewhere that therefore more likely to suffer badly with digestion problems during peri-menopause. I just started taking over the counter Nexium which are doing nothing to help, as my doctor won't give me anything just told me to buy some Gaviscon for indigestion. My doctor wouldn't even consider it being peri-menopause instead wants me to have go in for every test under the sun and three times tried to frighten me with it could be Cancer. I'll be 43 this year, never had children which can mean you get it earlier since July had lighter/longer/late periods then last period was two weeks late and heavier. My skin has lost it's elasticity and become more dry, brittle nails, bouts of depression, mood swings and headaches

• Posted

I too suffer from acid reflux and have finally convinced my female doctor that this is connected to peri menopause. I am taking Lanzaprosole and have HRT patches for so many other symptoms of peri . I have just started a 4 week plan with a lady who is expert in functional diet/healing to balance my hormones, it involves lots of supplements which are costly but i will try anything. No wine allowed, bread or processed sugar, supplements include lots of magnesium, probiotics, and curcumin. I am 55. Hope you ladies find some relief and i will keep you posted on my results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.