Acid Reflux and Inflammed Esophagus?

Posted , 122 users are following.

Hello, I started experiencing esophagus problems all of a sudden about two months ago. It started one evening right after I finished supper, I felt like I had a lump of food stuck in my esophagus, rignt between my breast. It did not hurt, just felt like a lump of food just sitting there. I drank a lot of water and walked around the yard trying to get the food (?) to go down. After about an hour, it seemed to be ok. This continued to happen to me every evening after eating, but the symptom started lasting longer. At that time it was just my evening meals, then as the weeks moved forward it started happening with all meals, just worse in the evening. I made an appointment with my Gastroenterologist, who I use to see ten years ago for acid reflux. He scheduled an endoscopy, and the results showed no stricture, and no cancer. He said my esophagus was a little red and inflamed and prescribed me rabeprazole sodium at 40 mg daily. This seemed to make the stuck food feeling go away but caused me really horrible insomnia and constipation, so I had to stop taking it. I now take Nexium at 20 mg twice a day, but it is not helping at all. I am having a hard time believing this symptom has anything to do with acid reflux, as I have not had any acid reflux symptoms, or issues in years. There are no symptoms at all, no heart burn, nothing. Does anyone else have symptoms like this? Could it be anything else? Thanks.

10 likes, 191 replies

191 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Heyyy I have the exact symptoms...  I'm not sure whether to get a endoscopy or not since after i talk some lansoprazole the symptomps gone down but I still got that feeling of food stuck in oesophagus a little bit =/? Are you okay now?
  • Posted

It's necessary to distinguish if it's actually food you're feeling or a feeling of lump in throat. If it's food it means you have to swallow a few time in order for it to pass, otherwise it's a lump feeling.
  • Posted

Hello I had an Endoscopy 3 weeks ago now to check for ulcers?? I have had the Helicobacter Pylori bug before and had the tripple therapy treatment for it. I don't think it got rid of it as it doesnt always work. Feel like I am going round in circles and getting know where. My Doctor still hasnt got back to me with my biopsy results they took form when I had the Endoscopy. I have all the symptoms of the HP bug could this be the case? I need to know that there is nothing serious going on as I am going out of my mind with worrry. Can you give me some advice please??
    • Posted

Hello, what was the outcome from your testing? Are you still having symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi raellen,

I believe this is called silent acid reflux. I had this 6-7 weeks after I discontinued my PPI medication due to having diarrhoea from taking omeprazole. I'm now on another type of medication, H2 Blocker @ Ranitidine. I still have this lump feeling at the back of my throat, and stomach acid seeping into my throat and mouth. Sorry, I can't help you much as I'm still on treatment.

• Posted

Frederick if you find an answer to the acid seeping up into your throat can you share. I am having the same issues
    • Posted

Hi there,

What I had done was sleep on a reclined armchair instead of raising the head end of my bed by 4-6 inches. Meanwhile, I continue taking my multivites to help repair the damaged tissues along my esophagus. During meals I would consume a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, digestive enzymes and probiotics. I now take ranitidine 150mg before bedtime instead of twice a day.

After going through this ordeal, I realised that acid reflux is due to insufficient stomach acid. Taking Proton Pump Inhibitors further reduces acid by 70-80 percent, while taking H2 blockers further reduced by 40-50 percent. When stomach acid is low, the esophagus sphincter becomes more relaxed. So, do you think it's justified to take PPI or H2 blockers? I plan to taper off my ranitidine soon. I hope to end this nightmare asap.

• Posted

Vinegar is very acidic, not a good idea. Around the time my gastritis started I happened to be adding vinegar to my food, I suspected it was responsible for my gastritis.
    • Posted

I think you do not get the picture. Since I have taken PPI and now taking H2 blocker, my stomach acid has greatly reduced. Thus, my meals are not properly digested.

The function of stomach acid is to breakdown food especially protein, and at the same time kill bacteria that comes with the cooked food. When stomach acid is insufficient, fermentation takes place causing burping, bloating and releasing of gas. Under such condition, we may contract H. Pylori as they can thrive better in less acidic condition.

Taking apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes and probiotics help breakdown food and kill harmful bacteria. The boating feeling is much reduced.

Last night, I tried sleeping on my bed instead of the armchair using two pillows, and I am happy to inform you that I did not have any acid reflux even though I missed taking my H2 blocker. I believe the reason is that my stomach acid has ressumed to perhaps almost its normal volume; therefore my body system has told my esophagus sphincter not to be too relaxed. As a result, no acid reflux.

• Posted

Hi there,

You won't believe if I tell you that I had buffet dinner tonight. I had shushi, shashimi, fillet-o-fish, grilled lamb chop, fried prawns, salads with dressing, cakes and ice-cream! No burping and no feeling of bloating...to my surprise!

I guess I'm on the right track to getting cured of my acid reflux problem.

• Posted

Hi Frederick 22022

I've just read with interest your posts regarding your acid reflux. I wonder how you are now and if you have any advice you could give me?

My problem started 2 months ago, with chest pain/discomfort and a feeling of pressure or something stuck. I had it on and off for a few weeks and I then realised I was getting it almost every day. I went to the doctor who prescribed Omeprazole 20mg and said it was indigestion/heartburn and to take the medication for a week and if symptoms stopped then stop the PPI. My symptoms were much better so I stopped taking the Omeprazole. Within a few days I then developed an entirely new symptom which I'd never had before.........acid regurgitation and sore throat. This got progressively worse over the next 2 weeks especially at night to the point where I couldn't sleep even sitting up without having awful pain in my throat and the feeling of acid reflux. My chest pain had gone but it seemed the PPi had given me acid reflux!! Could this have been acid rebound? Or something else causing it do you think? 

I was in such pain that I went back to the doctor who has told me to take Omeprazole again for another 2 -3 weeks and see if this resolves the reflux. This was 2 days ago and the acid is a bit better but not gone. My worry is that as soon as I stop the PPI again the acid reflux will come back with a vengence!

Have you stopped medication altogether? how did you manage to stop the PPI? Have your symptoms come back?

many thanks for any help of information you can share.

• Posted

Hi rach74,

My answer to your question is: I'm feeling good so far.

What I suggest is: ask your doctor if you could take H2 Blocker such as Ranitidine 150mg/75mg instead of Omeprazole 20mg? I believe this is a way to taper off as H2 Blockers are less effective in inhibiting the secretion of stomach acid than PPIs (it's similar to reducing the dosage of Omeprazole).

Unfortunately, many doctors do not know that stopping Omeprazole cold turkey creates a condition worse than before taking the medicine, which is, regurgitation of stomach acid. Only patients like us have gone through such an ordeal. But fortunately due to low stomach acid @silent reflux, we do not feel the burning sensation though we may have pain in the throat (probably due to stomach acid damaging the more sensitive cells?)

Try sleeping on a reclined armchair for a few nights to allow healing of cells around the throat and along the esophagus. Meanwhile, do remember to take your multi-vites and anti-oxidants for cell repair.

I'm now waiting to see if regurgitation occurs after tapering off my H2 Blocker.

Hope this helps. Take care.

• Posted

How long have you been taking the probiotics?  I've been reading a lot and watching videos, the holistic way to go is digestive enzymes, probiotics, aloe vera, bitters, Kefir(more probiotics).  The probiotics are the good bacteria that help the body (stomach) fight off bad bacteria.  Also there is a direct connection between the gut and the brain, so many people experience depression, anxiety, etc...which some anxiety comes from the frustration and not knowing when this will end.  But since the gut has a direct connection to the brain any inbalances in the stomach environment can cause mood changes.  I've noticed it with my own body.  I also feel like stress causes inbalances in the gut, then stress hormones get secreated and makes the stomack act up again...I'm trying deep beathing and meditation, trying not to take regular meds.  Oh, also the honey helps.

• Posted

I' have exactly the same feeling after quitting rabeprazole (I took it for 3wks) then quit and started having sore throat, feel sick in neck after eating,

Started taking rabeprazole again, slightly getting better but sore throat and feeling sickie after eating is still there

How have u been though?

Can u give me advice on what to do next as per your symptoms is exactly similar to mine sad

• Posted

You have been very informative thank you very much for these post, I am going to try thay, minus the probiotics for now because they seems to make my symptoms worse for some reason. Thanks again! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.