Acid reflux/heartburn

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies

I have heartburn very badly as perhaps you all know from my previous posts.

I am waiting for my ENT appointment. I take Lansoprazole twice a day before food. I also take ginger capsules and enzymes. None of this seems to work. As soon as I have eaten it starts to burn in throat and nose. I only eat small meals regularly rather than a big meal and am very careful what I'm eating.

I don't drink anything other than fruit teas and water.

I don't eat any fatty foods or tomatoes. Only a very slight amount of dairy ie semi milk with porridge in the morning.

Any suggestions?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hun I had or should I say having the same prob..the only thing that has helped me is zanta....wenf to doc and got it on prescription as cheapér than keep buying..
  • Posted

Do you eat much bread/pastry? That's what does it for me. That and sitting scrunched up or working in the garden (bending over)
  • Posted

Hey michelle,

Consider that you may not have enough stomach acid as opposed to too much. There is a way to check. It's called a Heidelberg test but most doctors are reluctant to do it.

As we age, we have a reduction in stomach acid, which leads to reduction in intrinsic factor and without it we cannot absorb iron and b12 among other things.

You can buy Betaine hydrochloride tablets at health food stores or online and take with meals or add 2 Tbls organic apple cider vinegar and honey to cup of warm water and sip. Digestive enzymes 30 minutes before meals are neccessary too.

Also, have the ENT check for hpylori and SIBO infections.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hiya all

I've had bad acid but it's severe nausea that's really distressing me right now.

I can barely function at the moment.

Do any of you ladies get nausea?

I've tried ginger ranitidine no help.

Also was given omeprazole but that made me dizzy.

Had two cameras down the throat all clear.

I've been in peri nine years I've not had a period now for over five months.

I'm also a community carer so won drink if the constant bending over is aggravating it.

Go gave me stemetil for the nausea but not tried it yet.

Next step is lanzaprasole.

Please ladies any suggestions.

I won't list all my other symptoms it would take too long.

Sending hugs to everyone x

• Posted

I get nausea pretty much daily. The ACV mentioned above helps, and I was taking Zofran for awhile that kind of helped, but now I find if I'm nauseous in the morning, I try to drink a cup of room temperature water and then throw something in my mouth, saltine crackers or fruit. Usually, it goes away. I just bought some ginger capsules and some ginger gum that. Is supposed to help, but haven't tried them yet. Good luck, hope you find some relief 
    • Posted

Morning

Took my first lanzaprasole this morning. I have to say I have had nausea bouts bad in my nine years of peri but since I haven't had a period for five months it's got worse.

I hate taking tablets but I'm desperate. I will continue to take the ginger and yes I'm eating crackers as well.

Thank you for your reply I was in tears yesterday even water gets be burping and bloated.

I'm just praying I don't get another period and this nightmare ends.

What with the peri health anxiety telling me I'm seriously ill but that's another story

Have a good day xx

• Posted

Apple cider vinegar.

I tried them in tablet form but seemed to leave a sweet taste in my mouth all day. Which I can put up with if they work. Don't like to overload my tum too much and trying to build iron levels up at mo. Going to try them again in a week or so. Also been suggested to try probiotics and I'm trying to research what interacts with what and best time of day to take stuff.,

Hope the lanzoprazol works well for you xx

• Posted

Thank you. My sister says apple cider vinegar works well so maybe I will try that as I really don't want to be on the lanzaprasole for long.

Thanks again for advice x

• Posted

I was also low in iron when my periods were heavy.

Iron pills can make your tum feel yuk.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Michelle

What strength lansoprazole are you talking?

I have been told to take 2x30mg per day. I think this is too high. I'm sure the nauseous and tight chest and hard to swallow is a side effect of them. I don't know what to do ? X

• Posted

Hiya

I've just been given 30mg once a day but I have the nausea and tight chest without the meds.

So I need to see if these work cause I can't cope with 24/7 nausea.

I hate taking any sort of meds .

I have high anxiety in peri so it's really hard to know what's causing what.

I'm going to continue with the ginger in the hope that will work and I will be able to stop meds.

I was saying earlier I've had a lot of digestive issues in peri but since I've had no period for five months it's out of control

• Posted

Did you find it hard to swallow at night and then it frightened you ? I also feel very nauseous and have to go to the loo. My throat burns all the time and makes me wheezy.

I take ginger but the tea and capsules don't do anything 😕

• Posted

Yes I do get the hard to swallow feeling but I've been dealing with symptoms for nine years now.

I think the throat thing might be anxiety I don't know.

I was on AD mirtazapine for a year but I've been of it 10 weeks now so I'm not sure if it's withdrawal or not.

It's been a he'll of a ride that's all I can say.

Hang in there and keep talking on h x

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Do you get to go on holiday or breaks away. I want to but I just am not up to it. I don't feel like being anywhere. X

• Posted

I did have the opportunity to go to a wedding in Antigua last November but felt so awful I didn't go. I'm still managing to work but don't go nowhere else much apart from that.

Who knew menopause could do so much damage.

I am at this point considering going back on my AD mirtazapine as I at least felt a little better on them. Still had the meno symptoms but think I coped better.

X

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I am putting off going anywhere and it's so upsetting.

Luckily for me I finished work 4 months ago x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.