Acid reflux in 5 Years old & Need advice on hPylori

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, My son is five years old. He is suffering from digestive issues snce when he was 4 years old. Initially it started with Diahrrea and we thought that it is just normal one which happens to every kid. Doctor has prescribed antibiotcs for motions and all. After it is over, soon after a week, my son was complaining about nausea, abdominal pain(lasts only for few mins which occurs after having food mostly). again after 2 weeks, he had motions problem. He had some dark circles appeared under his eyes and also lost some weight gradually .  Again doctor has prescribed antibiotics and he told that Nausea, abdominal pain and motions are due to stomach worms. so, Deworming has been done for him. After a week, again same symptoms (nausea, vomiting after having breakfast, abdominal pain) happened. We went to gastro this time . He has done all the tests appendicits, abdomin, pelvis exam etc. except endoscopy. He informed that all good and told me to use Sucralfate suspension for 15 days. We have used it but still symptoms didn't much go. 

After 2 months, symptoms has been increased, i see some weird symptoms coughing, some voice change also. He has done endoscopy and informed that it is GERD and he prescribed Esmeprazole sachets and informed to use for 10 days. We have used but they are not helping much. My son is still complaining about the problem even on medication. I took him to doctor for thrice for every month. In the middle, he has prescribed antacids also. He said that it is GERD nothing more than that. Some times, i am observing some bad smell from my son's mouth. Also, dark circles, weight loss is also going on. I am really worried. I am really frustrated with treatment. He goes to school normally and active in his studies. But i see the problem with weight gain.

I have heard about hPylori and SIBO and i am thinking that my child symptoms are similar to that. Is my doctor missed that in endoscopy? Also, i heard that stool test is availble for hPylori. Also, i want to take him to another doctor to take second opinion. I would like to request this doctor to perform stool culture and bacteria culture including hPylori. 

Any advice on this is really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Omg, your poor kid going through all treatments that make it all worse.. all the antibiotics and medication kills the good bacteria in his gut, too..

Get him probiotics asap and put him on a diet to heal his stomach. I can‘t believe the docs did not recommend that and instead give him meds. 

A diet change is the inly way to go.

No sugary drinks, no fatty food, no fried food, no chips...

Instead try to give him healthy and clean food.. grilled chicken, vegetables, rice etc.. 

• Posted

Well said CTh.

Hi Ramya,

I strongly agree on CTh, Antibiotics only in worst cases if you its the worst case try out for 3-4 days max. thats all. I see from your name that you are from India. 

Let your son on diet for atleast 2 weeks.

No sugary drinks, no nuts, no fried & any packed items. 

Feed him fresh all the time, use warm water for drinking. avoid anything cold. In the food, add turmeric, ginger, raw pepper. In case your son dont like try these in powder form and mix with honey, in early morning or before sleep in night.

Have you checked for Candida ? I suppose the same problem should be there for anyone in family ?

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi, I am from Hyderabad, India.

Please let me know the test for candida. Will that be identifiable in stool tests or stool culture? I am going to discuss with my doctor in my visit.

thank you for your inputs.

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for inputs. 

I'll start with diet changes for my kid. 

• Posted

I would have him tested, allergy, urine, blood (vitamins, lipids, minerals.. so the whole thing) 

And then let me know what comes out of it. Sometimes you can tell from that.

Maybe he is lactose or gluten intolerant.. 

• Posted

I have taken my son to doctor and he prescribed some medical tests Barium swallow meal test, comprehensive stool examination and culture and Hpylori stool antigen tests. I have got all the tests done for my kid and all reports came normal. 

After review of the reports is done, he examined my kid and saw the medical history and symptoms.

He said that no risk factor is there and all reports came good.  He has just prescribed Rifaxamin 400 mg tablet to use it for five days. He has mentioned about bacteria growth in intestines. 

I've started medication for my son yesterday. Hoping my son will recover soon.

• Posted

That’s good news that you got some answers.  Hopefully, the antibiotics will help.
    • Posted

Hi Ramya,

I think you are on right track. Treat gut will increase the immunity.

I also sent you a personal message, please check your inbox.

• Posted

I have read in some of the articles and heard from forums that probiotics are good for health. My doctor hasn't prescribed probiotics in my last visit. I forgot to ask him in my last visit.  I have called up my doctor today and asked for probiotic supplementation for my kid. He told me to use Protectis drops (daily only 5 drops). He said that if you want to use, you can continue up to 6 weeks.  

Are these probiotics are safe to kids? My son is not having any diahrrea, bowel disturbances and constipation problems as of now. But he is complaining about belly pain (which lasts for few mins only) , cough and skin rash is coming sometimes. I am just thinking if it creates any side effects. I haven't got much time to discuss with doctor in detail on phone. He has mentioned dosage, medicine and duration. 

Please let me know if probiotics are good for kids with out any side effects. 

• Posted

Totally safe. I got my kids the chewable ones. But you need to know that sometimes the body needs 3-5 days to adapt (actually the good bacteria will clean up : ) and he could have a little loose stool. But that will go away. The goid bacteria will help him heal. One treatment of antibiotics kills the whole bacteria inside the gut.. good and bad.. and the probiotics are the good ones. Some ofc them even help the immune system

Plain joghurt, kefir, kombucha are also great sources for probiotics. 

But remember to have him stay away from sugary drinks like soda! 

• Posted

Probiotics are good bacteria to be in stomach. it fights against bad bacteria and important for all ages. So if Dr. suggesting probiotic drops its good no doubt about that. you can also try any digestive enzymes if Dr is not prescribed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.