Acid Reflux , Lump in Throat

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have been treated for heartburn the last few months and was given lansoprazole 30mg 1 a day.

I am still having acid coming up and have a sore tongue most days burning of the lips and roof of the mouh.

I have discomfort/ burning in the sternum and below the sternum and feel nauseus on and off during the day.

I went back to the doctors yesterday and told him that certain foods are now feeling like they get stuck in my throat and it feels like I have something stuck in my throat all the time. When I swallow I am swallowing something down all the time.

He has referred me to have an endoscopy but am so worried as my gran died from stomach cancer.

Has anyone had acid reflux and these sypmtoms and given some medicine to help them as the lansoprazole doesn't seem to help the acid.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I too feel like I have lump in throat going up and down when swallowing saliva, but can eat/drink OK although I get regurgitating feeling and hiccup and burp when I eat or drink. Is this related to acid reflux?
  • Posted

I don't know if this will help anybody but I suffered with this lump in the throat three years ago several doctors told me I was imagining it as globus.

Anxiety levels increase as you fear the worst perhaps throat cancer or something equally sinister.

When I swallowed it felt like something was trapped the base of my throat I went for an endoscopy which showed nothing. Eventually my GP said we should check your thyroid and did the blood test. He rang me on Friday night out of hours to say get down here immediately because your levels are the lowest I have ever seen effectively meaning my thyroid had stopped working and had stopped working for a long time

After six months of taking thyroxine my levels have returned to a good level I had lost a lot of weight and the sensation in my throat had disappeared .

• Posted

Hi anita.i ve exactly the same and had a camera ,what i ended up with was a hiatus hernia.good luck
    • Posted

Hi, I have the lump in my throat nearly every day and every day it makes me nauseous. I take 40mg of Pantrapazole daily but it does nothing to alleviate or prevent the lump sensation. At first I would only get it after eating but now I get it even if I haven't eaten. I had an endoscopy 2 yrs ago as a surgery followup but it came out all good. Im in the process of requesting another one because of this lump/nausea thing. I do have a small hiatal hernia but the Dr. said nothing need be done about it. So I wondered if you were told that something should be done about yours?

Carol.

• Posted

Hi Anita03601. 

I am also experiencing the same symptoms. I like to know what your diagnosis was if you had it checked with doctor.

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi, I've recently been kind of diagnosed gastro reflux and been on a second set of tablets as the first (Omprazole) lot didn't make a difference. These (Pantropazole) also doesnt make a difference. I am currently waiting on the stool sample to come bk for the helicobacter to be ruled out.

I'm struggling to be honest, seems my heavy chest is getting worse, something stuck in my throat/chest is there 24/7. This doesn't just happen after food, it's all the time.

All this simply started because I though my asthma was getting worse, it turns out it may be gastro reflux.

Only my symptoms are constant and medication makes no difference.

I also suffer with cramps in Upper stomach and back through out the day.

Any suggestions?

Chrissy x

• Posted

Hi chrissy,

I was going to say that I was tested for H-pylori bacteria but mine was some kind of breathing into a device test .

I have been on Pantrapazole for 2 yrs and at first it seemed to help but now it's just useless to me. I'm at 40mg per day and it does nothing and yet my dr. says it's the best PPI out there. I am nauseous 24/7 no matter what I eat altho I don't experience pain or heartburn. I have lost about 15 pounds from just choosing not to eat rather than suffer thru the nausea. I also have the lump sensation in throat. It comes and goes and it seems tobe triggered by stress. Going for yet another endoscopy soon.

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I really hope they get to the bottom of this! 2yrs is a long time, and your weight loss is something I'd be concerned with.

Do you have pain on pressure in upper abdominal just under ribcage in the middle??

Quite frankly I'm sick of the heavy chest and feeling like I've swallowed a cat!

I have a very tender upper abdominal under pressure and just do not feel right at all.

I don't smoke, I run and quite frankly healthy. All this was very sudden 3-4 months ago... I'm worried it's early signs of something more serious. Xx

• Posted

Chrissy...right where ur mentioning the pain ur having is exactly where all this began with me. It's like a band of pain that's just under the rib cage in upper abdomen. 2 yrs ago i had emergency surgery for a perforated duodenal ulcer.. the pain was excrutiating and i had to call an ambulance. the dr said when that happens you have a small window of time to be operated on before sepsis sets in.

i had never had any pain or discomfort in that particular area before tho. plus Doc thinks it was from taking Advils that day that caused it. but point is that pain in that area could be an ulcer. Have you been checked for a possible ulcer? After the surgery is when all my reflux issues began. Of course I had to have the surgery but since than ive been putting up with the symptoms i mentioned .

• Posted

When I press that area it's painful and very tender.

I have trouble breathing and though it was all from asthma.

I've got an appt in a weeks time, review on my results. That I made purposely because I didn't want to be fobbed off.

If it comes bk negative, I want further tests. Stomach cancer is not something to play around with.

It's probably an ulcer, we'll see. X

• Posted

yes if it is an ulcer it just means watching what you eat . my dr told me that stomach cancer would present lower pain in the abdomen rather than higher up so im sure you dont have that. i was worried about that also. Its also accompanied by a lot of vomiting on a daily basis he says.

but let us know on your results .

• Posted

Hi. I had all of the same symptoms and lost 15 pounds because I couldn't eat . I read about what foods to eat and not to eat. I cut out all dairy, gluten and spices. My symptoms disappeared after about 6 weeks of eating this way. I tried to add a little spice back into my diet, but my symptoms came back. It's not easy but it works. You do not want to be on that medicine long term.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I am also now following a gluten and dairy free diet and have been on it for a week so far. Burning chest and pressure feeling has disappeared, still have the sore throat and lump in throat feeling but am hoping these also disappear over time. I was taking Nexium for 4 years but they just stopped working and I couldn't continue living everyday feeling unwell so knew I had to change my diet. I am also taking a probiotic every morning and turmeric tablets. Along with DGL Liquorice throughout the day and Zantac tablets if I need them. I have a wedge pillow and sleep on my left side only which was hard at first but I am getting used to it.

I hope people find this post useful and also get some relief.

• Posted

Yes, your right. These are the later stages....

I think your right regards the ulcer. I just want relieve from my chest and throat. I am a runner, and have been struggling the last few months and just getting worse. Hence why I though it was my asthma.

I'll keep you all posted next week. X

• Posted

What probiotic are you taking and which brand of tumeric tablets? I have the same issue and have changed my diet and still see no effects and have a constant lump in my throat and have been to over 15 doctors. 
    • Posted

How are you doing since chrissie. You have all the symptoms I'm currently experiencing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.