Acid Reflux , Lump in Throat

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have been treated for heartburn the last few months and was given lansoprazole 30mg 1 a day.

I am still having acid coming up and have a sore tongue most days burning of the lips and roof of the mouh.

I have discomfort/ burning in the sternum and below the sternum and feel nauseus on and off during the day.

I went back to the doctors yesterday and told him that certain foods are now feeling like they get stuck in my throat and it feels like I have something stuck in my throat all the time. When I swallow I am swallowing something down all the time.

He has referred me to have an endoscopy but am so worried as my gran died from stomach cancer.

Has anyone had acid reflux and these sypmtoms and given some medicine to help them as the lansoprazole doesn't seem to help the acid.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I am new to this but I have read your thread.

I also started having sudden acid reflux,before I had it I did not even know that acid reflux and heartburn could be this bad I actually thought I had problems with my heart and lungs since I had pain in my chest.Anyways I took about 6 months of agonising pain and constant trips to the A&E and GP to find out that I had acid reflux, they gave me lanzoprazole and pantoprazole and none of them worked. So they gave me omeprazole 40mg and was the only one that worked. In the mean time I've completely changed my diet, I used to drink coffe in the morning I had to cut that for me the worst where chocolate and coffe would really give me flare ups, but also going without food for a certain amout of time so I make sure to have something every 2 hours

Usually I'll have a banana or a cracker.

I suggest you start eating because starving yourself will only get your acid reflux worst,try eating soft foods for me fish, boiled eggs, aubergines, zucchine,avocados,banana, lentils. And brown rice really made it I can eat them and don't have any reflux but it also depends on how much I eat if I overeat I will get indigestion so I try to fill myself but not overfill I don't know if you get what I mean. Also the position if I eat onthe couch I would get reflux but not if I seat straight at the table, don't eat too early nor too late.

My biggest problem and I reckon the cause of my reflux is smoking but I just can't stop, and before I started having reflux I wasn't even smoking but I was vaping on my é cigarette so that could have cause it as well. I used to starve myself and only eat once a day for a very long time I think that's another cause of all these problems, for Me it wasn't even the cramps and the chest pain but rather the knot in my throat and that chocking sensation is the worst feeling ever, since I suffer from anxiety doctors all thought it was anxiety but I knew it wasn't and then had an endoscopy and finally been diagnosed.

Don't lay down after meals

• Posted

I also have the pain in my throats like I have swallowed a boiled sweet whole. If I don't take my meds (started on omeprazole then onto lansoprazole stopped working now on ranitidine) the pain is horrendous, still have the throats problem but chest pain is under control. I feel it in my back upper stomach and chest, the pain is servere like your having a heart attack. The doctor is sending me for a scan so fingers crossed that will show what's wrong. If not it's the camera down for me. I was tested for helicobacter and had it so treated for that about 8 weeks ago (doctor said omeprazole and these kinds of meds hide the bacteria, so hide the helicobacter, ask you doc if ur already on them). I also have an under active thyroid and this is just below your Adam's apple and can swell causing the blocked feeling(so I have been told) hope we all get some answers

• Posted

I have been tested for helicobacter and that came out clear, I was actually hoping to have it at least the virus could be treated, but instead they don't know what is wrong with me which is worst because it means that they don't know how to treat it, meds usually start to work after one month but you also need to change your diet. I had to stop taking the meds for the endoscopy and since I've stopped all the symptoms came back, I've read somewhere that drinking milk really helps but I am lactose intolerant so yesterday I got the lactofree skimmed milk and drank it before I went to bed and finally I was able to have a good night sleep so it does really work still the pain is there but is definitely improved with the milk, even if you're not lactose intolerant I'd suggest to still get the lacto free milk because normal milk will make you bloated and may cause a flare up

At least with lacto free milk you are sure.

The knot in my throat is the worst feeling even when I lay down in bed (with a raised bed) before I fall asleep I feel like I am suffocating and I wake up in the middle on the night in apnea,is a horrible feeling sometimes I am scared to fall asleep because I may die in my sleep😱😱

• Posted

Hi, I have just had my second round of an alternative treatment I am trying to  unblock the energy fields throughout my body which unlock and release the inflammation.  She says she has big success with gastric issues.  She is also a nutritionist and through using her method on my hand she told me I am wheat intolerant which I never knew and that it would cause me inflammation.

I also have what you are talking about, reflux, gerd, hh but the pains etc I can handle it is the throat issues of LPR I don't like.  Lumpy throat, tight (which is made much worse by stressing abou it) mucus on chest that I have to just cough up ever 5 mins, then it just slips back down and slides back up making me sound croaky.

Don't you just hate bedtimes - I used to love it reading a book for an hour then slipping under the duvet sleepy.  Now I hate it and just wait to wake up with the stuck mucus already in my throat, then it is cough it up and down.  Nightmare peeps.

I am hoping my new treatment will help as Zantac 300 mg, plus Pepsin and Mastic Gum certainly help the pains but not the throat.

• Posted

Surprised you're drinking milk.  Milk is mucous-forming and only meant for baby cows.  I have cut out all dairy and wheat.  I had birthday chocs today and now feel like I've got a golfball stuck in my throat.

• Posted

ey, im new to this group. But recently that is 2 days back i had an incident of acidity which was not that severe, it was for one whole day. I had burps which were little bit acidic, but i took omeprazole as im a medical student myself. I woke up the next morning, acidity was gone but globus feeling came into my throat, it does feel when im ingesting my own saliva.

Night time its gone and day time sometimes its there and sometimes its not.

Well i went to doc out of curiosty, he asked for history and i told him that i smoke and drink tea alot usually during these days as im nearing my final exam days. He prescribed me omeprazole 20 mg and gaviscon to which i feel little bit okay. But lump sensation sometimes go and sometimes its there. I did stop smoking now and tea. Plus i have chest pain these days, idk due to what it is.

I will be running all the tests soon. But doc said not to worry its not complicated gerd and this usually happens after gerd so chill and take meds for a week and see the change. The only change i can feel is i think no acidity, chest pain is there sometimes and globus sensation.

Anything regarding this? Can someone help me?

Is lpr taking time to heal? My biggest mistake was i should have took omeprazole before so that the acidity wouldnt have reached larynx or so.

Please do help or share anything regarding this. I have my finals coming up. Will be really helpful

• Posted

hi I have the same issue I've had them since march I've been on all kind of acid reflux medicine and nothing seems to help going to see another GI after xmas

• Posted

have had this lump in throat problem too. many docs, test, gerd, lpr, doc say? tried omeprazole,erithromycin,fdgard,probotics, align,aloe vera juice,pepcid ac, gaviscon, vitimin d, d was low, to name a few. no help for lump in throat. since feeling is worse after eating.. i had discovered eating sprees candies help relieve lump feeling. why? sugar? not really sure but helps lump feeling go away till i eat again. not the miracle cure but helps. i eat boxes of sprees every week. i might get diabetis but if your one with this issue your not thing rhat fas ahead. also have constant post nasal drip muscus etc. in my throat, tiring exhausting. i might try elevil like adam suggested. good luck everyone.

• Posted

I have had this since beginning of sept, pain like I have been winded turning into servere chest pain. I told them I wanted the camera put down but he booked me for a scan that has now shown I have gallstones. Be persistent and get checked out people
  • Posted

Hi everyone i have i too the worst feeling ever, my symptoms are lump in throat and a white coating on the back of my tongue, but i never had any heartburn .

I struggle with this since November so its around 3 months now its a little bit better but i still feel this lump and its driving me crazy. I got all possible medical tests done in 3 weeks because i went to ER and when they make appointments for you , you besically go with out the line , without waiting for it so first i had barium swallow test , then gastroskopi, all the blood work and recenty i did vitamin D deficiency test i it shoved its low but not too low , but remember to bust your vitamin D because then you feel much better , les anxiety plus they say it helps with gerd/lpr/acid reflux. So after all of those tests basically i was diagnosed with acid reflux /gerd(not fun at all i know lol)

Ok so what i take now is60 mg dexilant (before i was on pantoprazole 40mg x2a day but it did not help me at all) ,vitamin D 1000 ui x2 a day, and before bed Melatonin 3mg (you will go to sleep in 15 min lol),plus i go for accupunture for 4 weeks already and drink chinese tea that really helped me with digestion( no more diarrhea) , i dont know how is this tea called because doctor does it himself from chinese herbs which you need to boil for 40 min,

And also i gargle 3 times a day water with baking soda ( thats cleans my tongue a little bit) and drink linseeds 1 cup a day plus water with aloes (always sip water between the mills remember not with the mill) i think thats it lol i know its a bit but i do everything to bit this acid and get back to a normal life that we all miss so much , plus i forgot to add that im on diete since 2 months ( no triger foods at all) i see a slight improvement but lump is still there more less dependent from a day , forgot to add that im from canada , toronto if any one from my area let me know thx guys good luck

• Posted

so it sounds like you had the food getting stuck in throat feeling before the endoscopy. is that correct? and did it start before or after you took lansoprazole 30mg 1 a day. thanks, i've have lump in throat feeling also.

for 8 months now.

• Posted

Yes the feeling was before gastroscopy, since two weeks i dont have the feeling of lump in throat im taking elavil 25 mg ( but i just take half 12,5 mg cauze its to strong for me ), so the lump feeling is gone but my esophacus still feel tight so i have to eat smaller meals so the food doesnt feel like stuck , ask your doctor for elavil and try it ,hope you will feel better , good luck
    • Posted

you mentioned you had a white coating on you tounge. did you have thrush (a white bacteria that grows on the tounge)? did the white go away with the lump feeling or do you feel the elavil was what helped the lump feeling go away? thanks, best to you
    • Posted

No it did not go away , i still have white coating on my tounge , non of the doctors checked the tounge what is it, im going to Ent soon i hope he will have some solution , yes elavil just helped lump feeling go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.