Acid reflux, lump in throat, gas pains

Posted , 30 users are following.

I have been diagnosed by the ENT for reflux and I also suffer from anxiety..as I know anxiety and stress is a big trigger for stomach issues in general. For the past 2-3 months I have been getting this lump in throat sensation and lately it seems to be worse! My anxiety has been a lot better, so it doesn't make sense to me why I would be getting this sensation..I had vanilla ice cream last night so I am assuming that triggered it, since I am still trying to figure out WHAT foods exactly make it worse. I also have been getting what I feel are gas pains (been to the cardiologist and gotten a chest X-ray, many EKGs, all good) on my left side by my rib...and even under my armpit a bit. I burp a lot, so all this seems to be related.

Does anyone deal with similar symptoms? And what do you do to help the lump in throat sensation? I have been trying aloe juice, licorice tea. And st the moment I am chewing gum to see if it helps.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've had acid reflux and while it seems to be under control, other new symptoms have formed. A few weeks ago I began having the lump in throat sensation after eating and recently it seems to be happening more and more. Trigger foods for me seem to be chocolate, lemon, tomatoes, peppermintpeppermint. The symptoms seem to come and go, I have been eating soup and drinking water and I started drinking Ensure (I stupidly bought the dark chocolate flavor which is AMAZING, but probably not the best idea, so tomorrow I'm going to buy some butter pecan or vanilla flavor) I also have had bad anxiety that I'm treating with Prozac & Hydroxyzine. My symptoms for this throat problem are excessive clearing of throat, some coughing, lump type feeling and occasional burning feeling (most likely due to the lemon I had in my tea yesterday) I went to the walk in clinic yesterday and they checked me for Strep, which I did not test positive for. And they said I had no redness. They are having me go to an ENT Monday and I'm scared...... I'm 1 of those people who obsessively check Google for their symptoms, and end up thinking they have the worst possible disease.

• Posted

I am the same way with obsessively thinking! It's easier said than done since I get anxiety as well, but try to keep yourself as calm as possible since everything you mentioned sounds EXACTLY like reflux. When you go to the ENT they will use the camera to take photos of your throat and they will be able to tell if anything is wrong... and it will put you more at ease. Let me know how it pans out! Have you ever gotten the tightness in the throat and chest congestion and pains as well?

• Posted

I'm scared of the camera going down my throat sad And yes I've had the throat tightness, and sometimes it feels like my chest is tight. And rarely do I have any chest pain. I'll let you know how it goes, how bad is the camera going down the throat? I have a bad gag reflex.

• Posted

Hi

The docs are so great, because of medication you will be okay.

Frankly, I woke up without a memory of the actual procedure.

hug

judith

• Posted

*hugs back* thank you Judith smile is it the procedure where they put the tube through your nose down to your throat, or is it the 1 where they just put it straight down your throat?

• Posted

the one down the nose is typically done when a bleeding ulcer is suspected to check for blood, to provide short term nutritional support, or aspiration of stomach contents...t is termed nasogastric tube.

The tube through the mouth is endoscope, the test is referred to as endoscopy...it has a light, they can take biopsies, they can peek into the upper small intestine...

hope this explains it...

juditg

• Posted

So I went to the ENT appointment and they put the camera down my throat the nose way since i have a bad gag reflex, it felt weird, but it wasn't too bad. It only took like 15 seconds and they found no abnormalities. they told me it was due to my acid reflux, and to cut out late night eating, double up on my acid reflux pills, 1 in the morning and 1 at night, and to drink plenty of water.

• Posted

Wonderful...I sure hope the adjustments they suggested make you feel just ducky!

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hello, I have lived with those issues for years. This last spring I had my gallbladder removed with the hope that some of my most severe stomach issues would be alleviated and it worked to a certain degree. The lump in the throat is an alarming sensation and it triggers the anxiety which produces more bile... etc. The best way to stop the throat sensation from happening is to go on an h2 blocker with a proton pump inhibitor. You have to change your diet completely. And under no circumstances should you have any coffee!!! Once I gave up the coffee and tea the lumpy feeling stopped completely. I still cheat sometimes, but once you let your stomach heal you can have a cup every now and then. If I were you I would ask my doctor about getting a test on your gallbladder to see if it's working properly. Middle aged women seem to be more likely to have issues with that area especially if you are menopausal. I hope this helped I know how scary it can be, hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I'm glad you are doing okay, us women get the best of it all don't we 😂 What sucks is I am so addicted to coffee / caffeine and I have been trying to only have ONE small cup in the morning each day (cutting back on it, since I used to have up to 3 cups) what are some staples in your diet, if you wouldn't mind? Because I am adjusting to a new diet because of this and any tips would be helpful! I have cut out tomatoes, onions, fried foods etc. and I am eating more leafy greens and fennel, stuff like that. Having this makes us HAVE to pay attention to everything! I get the anxiety as well, and I DO feel it makes it worse! Glad I am not the only one.

• Posted

Also, have you ever dealt with lightheadedness due to this? I feel as if I'll have the sensation (and perhaps it's anxiety based since my mind is exhausted. I'm sure you know what I mean!) and then I get out of it, fatigued, sometimes lightheaded. Not a fun feeling!

• Posted

Hello

I also live with all this horrible issues 😩Been recently diagnosed with sliding hiatus hernia, loose LES, bile reflux. Awaiting more tests.

Considering taking something for depression it has all caused...

Can you please update your recent findings.

• Posted

Just over a year ago i coughed at same time i was swallowing a Chip. I chocked near to death.

Since then i have food anxiety. For the first three months i lived on broth and lost 20kgs.

My anxiety was thru the roof, that i had to monitor my heartrate constantly.

I tried sucking on cough lollies, chew gum etc and realised in thr first week it was making me have panic attacks.

Saliva build up can cause anxiety when we least expect it to happen, because out throat is a main symptom of anxiety.

I Cut out dairy, pasta, bead, chocolate... Anything that was junk basically. Lost 36kgs over five months.

At the six month Mark i finally started to introduce solids.... Not good, my body had forgotten what food was, my stomach was so small, that reflux started. I have spent the last six months retraining myself to eat.

Dairy still seems to be an issue. Ive been fine, then Today had an iced coffee. Ive spent the last Two hours feeling the lump again. I just tell myself i can breathe fine.

Gas is a sometimes a problem from the gallbladder, which can also cause problems due to stress ans anxiety.

Soft drink can sometimes Help, that's what they give me if i end up in hospital from major panic attacks when trying to eat.

Its not nice. I saw a psychologist and it just didn't Help me. Research is the key because we all deal with things differently.

I use to use withania root, from he health Shop.

It is a natural anxiety medicine, i dont believe in medication.

Protien shakes Help, it gets your vitamin and mineral levels back up.

I also have magnesium every day in my water, as low magnesiun can cause anxiety issues too.

Stay away from citrus it increases saliva. Peppermint can be a trigger, chocolate, because of the thickness when swallowing, peanut butter, beer.... I have a long damn list of not to touch 😂😂

I hope after all this time you are feeling better though.

I had tests done, came back fine and i still didnt believe that it was all in ny head, its a long journey.

• Posted

So you find any solution, any time of medication...?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.