Acne- im taking accutane

Posted , 8 users are following.

im a 15 year old girl, and my spots have been bad for almost 2 years ive tried so many different tablets but now, 3 days ago i started taking the nasty drug 'accutane' in order to help my acne clear up, im on the high dose and already experienecing the nasty side affects, can anyone reccomend a good moisturser as my skin is so cracked and sore?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Emily I'm a mother of a 17 yr old boy who has had acne since age 15. After trying every antibiotic and cream out there we were eventually given accutane and i can honestly say on behalf of myself and my son (who is now 17 and a half) it was the best thing ever. He did have very dry skin and lips but the derm gave him loads of stuff to use. Lads aren't able to cover up with make up but you know what it didnt matter. He will always be gorgeous to me . He came off them in January but just this week he has started to get a few pimples on his forehead and side of his  mouth. I've made a further app to see derm for a second course. This is a long roller coaster of a journey but worth it, trust me. Please don't ever think you are ugly. If your friends are true friends then I bet they don't even notice you spots. You will get there just hang in x

• Posted

yeah i have tried all the antibiotics and creams and had to wait a year and a half untill i could finally go on roaccutane.. but thank goodness im on it now so just waiting for my skin to clear up. i know its going to take time, and i cant wait untill i am spot free!!! on the school trip i was on this week i felt so self conscious because everyone had no spots and there was me red faced and gross looking and they all had flawless faces.. sad my skin got a little better in the sun, but as i was off my medication its all come back worse but ive started taking it again and the side affects have all come back worse. hope your sons situtation clears up. 
    • Posted

Joanne, I second that comment...exact same with us. My son had very bad acne for several years. Everyone blamed his eating (which wasn't even bad- like every time he ate a chocolate bar, his sister blamed his acne on that!) Anyway, tried everything. He is 17 now, and has been on accutane for 3 months now. I can see a HUGE improvement. We have 3 more months now. I have confidence he will be even more handsome than he is now after 3 more months.

• Posted

just a quick update to anyone who reads this in the chat.. im drawing the end of the course soon, as i have exams comming up in november my mock GCSE'S and apparently i cant stay on the raccutane during them as it affects my concentration and mind.. rolleyes but ive nearly done 4 months which is the course my doctor put me onsmile i have only red marks left now! so pleased with the outcome, just want the marks to go now! feeling happier with myself now, and my boyfriend (in the image) has been so supportive of my journey, and accepts me for me. 
    • Posted

Emily if you have exams in November can't you do 2 more months, then quit. Seems to me that you may want to stay on to ensure it's done the work. And great you have a supportive boyfriend- acne is no ones fault, but genetics. My son is at the red marks stage also- he is a rower, so the dermatologist said not to get the sun on his face as it will leave dark marks from the tan. Anyway, he will continue the last several months. 

Good luck on your exams! Thanks for the update.

• Posted

Hi everyone. I'm on my day 10 of accutane. My skin is severely dry all over. I feel ugly and it's kind of itchy as well. All i want is to make all this acne go away. sad
    • Posted

My son is on month 4. He constantly carries Burts Bees Pomegranate Chapstick in his pocket (can I tell you how many times I have run that darn Chapstick through the wash? Ha ha). He uses Cetaphil moisturizer twice a day. His joints hurt, mainly his back., so he's taking some of my liquid glucosamine. His acne is subsiding but he has some scarring. I am fully confident he will complete 6 months and the scarring will disappear. I hope he understands 6 months is a short time in the life of a man and this will have been worth it. I think he does. The acne is one of the only bad genes my husband passed on but this too shall pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.