Acupuncture?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I've been in a fair amount of pain as I await a tkr, probably in June. I've been given a prescription for Tramadol which has basically not helped me at all. A friend suggested acupuncture and I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with this for knee pain. Thanks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not for my TKR but for other pain I've had over the years, acupuncture is a great alternative...works for many people.  Can do no harm.  PS: Ask your doc to consider adding a muscle relaxer like Flexeril to the Tramadol.  May help.  After my TKR, I was on Percocet and Flexeril...

• Posted

What caused your knee pain? Do you have other health problems? Overweight? Arthritis? Exercise? Have you tried any alternative therapy? Knee injections? Your age? All this factors into a TKR.  A TKR may not be your answer if pain med  not taking away the pain.  The pain after a TKR is so severe and may take a year or longer to resolve if you are not willing to put inthe time required to get better.  That involves healthy eating, hours of exercise and therapy for weeks on end.  I am four months out and spend hours taking care of my health with my knee.  I have had pain and two prior meniscus surgeries on this knee before TKR and did all slyernative therapy that I could.  If I could change back before the TKR, and know what I know today I would of taken pain before surgery to what I am know living with.  So really look at all of your options out there.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I had tkr of my left knee little over a year ago. I have severe arthritis and I had a cortisone shot so I cannot have surgery for three months. I was hoping to put this off until next year but it's just not working that way. So now I'm trying to help with the pain until I can get the knee done. I was hoping to put this off until next year but it's just not working out way. So now I'm trying to ease the pain until I can get the knee done. I'm a 63 yr. old female, not overweight, active (gym, bicycling, doubles tennis). I'm tall, and having a specially hard time getting up from a chair especially a low chair after sitting for awhile. I just want some help with the pain.

• Posted

You should probably slow down with your exercising.  Especially tennis. That cant help at all.   I exercised with my pain before my tkr, but i made modifications
    • Posted

I was also offered acupuncture and gave it serious consideration but in the end I couldn’t make that leap of faith to go with it.  I know lots of people swear by it but nothing I read could convince me that it was worth the risk. I think this is one where different people will view it different ways. 
    • Posted

My best results were with cryotherapy.  But I have arthritis so it stopped the inflammation in all of my bones. The acupuncture I tried only helped the knee so New pains came about as time went on.  Remember your knee is connected to your spine.
    • Posted

Oh, not playing tennis at all. Going to gym but many modifications. At this point, getting around is enough of a challenge...
    • Posted

Go to Groupon and check for cryotherapy in your area.  Sign up for a three pack as one time is not enough to see if will work.  Also check out stem cell therapy.  Remember arthritis is a cruel thing.  And each side of the body responds differently to surgery.  I have a friend who has had both knees TKR.  One took 4 months to feel better but the second one took over a year.  I would also check into laser therapy.  I like you was extremely active.  I have an autoimmune and arthritis.  I have worked out over 45 years 5x week for more hours than I care to talk about and still do it thru the pain.  Are you still working and exercising as heavy as before the knee injury?  I would try laser or cryotherapy as it may save your knee from surgery.
    • Posted

Thx, Carol. I will look into cryotherapy, was not familiar with it. I am now babying my knee because it's too painful to do otherwise.

• Posted

How come you have to wait 3 months after having a cortisone shot for your TKR surgery? I had a cortisone shot around Labor day in 2016 and had my TKR on October 19th, 2016.

• Posted

I'm not sure of the reason for that but my doc and the surgeon's office both told me I would have to wait.

• Posted

My 2 cents. I had 5  cryrotherapy sessions localized on my knee.  Did nothing for pain

i also tried platelet rich plasma.  Prp. Injections. Also known as stem cell.  It made my knee worse for a while not better.  Also got  synvisc and euflexxa and cortisone.  When everything stopped working i had to bite the bullet and get the surgery.   For awhile i was wearing an “ unloader” brace.  Look it up

it helped with long walks

• Posted

I found using a TENS machine helpful ...it enabled me to stand for longer periods of time
    • Posted

I read around and I think many surgeons don't do TKR very near to injections because it done increase the risk of infection. I am sure it varies from place to place , as all things do.

Are you using a stick? This makes a big difference on pain reduction.

I was using one for over a year before TKR. Doesn't help the ego much but does help the knee!

• Posted

I did all of the above, cryotherapy and laser really helped me but you could still hear that daily grinding in my knee.  Ozone shots really helped, but like you  I bit the bullet and got the TKR. Ins voma 7 days after surgery due to overdose of anesthesia and opioids.  Pain at this point is a seven four months out! Sick & tired of the knee not reacting well yet to the new knee.  I know seen some much better implants so I am hopeful for the future.  My cap rattles on my knee and this is a joke. My doctor keeps having me see s PA as he has no answers.  Health is good but I have arthritis. 

• Posted

In a coma seven days
    • Posted

I will check into that brace. Thank you.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. Have not tried a stick, but should. I am sensitive about appearing "old" (I'm 63) but guess I should get over it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.