Acupuncture?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I've been in a fair amount of pain as I await a tkr, probably in June. I've been given a prescription for Tramadol which has basically not helped me at all. A friend suggested acupuncture and I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with this for knee pain. Thanks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

On the issue of using a walking stick, I resisted this for a long time.  I’m only 54 and I’m pretty independent and tbh I thought it would make me feel and look a bit useless and helpless and I think I felt I would be giving in to arthritis.  Wrong, wrong, wrong! It gradually dawned on me that, as it was making a huge difference to me to use walking poles on a country walk, it was probably going to help to use a stick on the smaller walks about town etc which I was beginning to avoid/dread.  I bought myself a snazzy stick that folds up in my handbag.  The first time I used it was a day when I was catching the train to see friends.  I was actually shaking, getting myself to overcome my inhibitions, and get that stick out of my bag so that I could cope with standing waiting on a platform and climbing into the train.  Then of course, when I got over myself and got on with it, I realised that most people out there are kind and if they can see you may be struggling (you have a stick) they make space, open doors, leave you a seat etc. I give them all a big smile and say thanks.  I now realise that using a stick means I can still do all sorts of activities that were becoming virtually impossible for me.  Well worth it.
    • Posted

Best thing that happened to me thru this experience, I no longer carry a purse and if needed I got my stick!
    • Posted

That's good to know. I'm hypersensitive about looking old, etc. but feeling like I need to get over it!

• Posted

I am just 52...it is a bit of a change but think this...it is temporary! Now post TKR i don't need any sticks.

I used trendy type Leki walking poles...they are slim line and sporty looking. Used two for longer walks, and just looked sporty! Used one all the time in the end as couldn't walk longer than ten minutes often in the end. And had a folding one too, though it ended up I really needed one all the time. in the end things got so bad i found i sometimes needed to use a crutch as that does give even more support.

After TKR during my recovery I stuck to using supports generously and I do feel this helped my recovery rather than rushing off them. my physio encouraged me to stick with them, as long as i felt comfortable and felt I needed them. It does relieve a lot of pain which means you don't need to take so much pain relief after the initial few weeks.

It is a bit of a change but when you finally throw them away it doesn't ,after one little bit!

• Posted

I found the only relief I got from back pain in 2000 was acupuncture. It took quite a few sessions as I had back pain for a long time! The acupuncturist said it was like peeling an onion, to get to the roof of the pain but she did it!

My GP had sent me for physio which didn't help much. I had back rehab classes at physio too. The only thing that worked was acupuncture.

It is now a recognised treatment on the NHS for chronic pain.  It has been established that it works on chronic pain. Unfortunately it wasn't available  on the NHS in 2000.

Try it, it cannot do you any harm & better than taking more drugs! It doesn't hurt when they insert the very very thin needles! It isn't like an injection!

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.