Acupuncture

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just been for my third physiotherapy appointment, they have decided to give me a course of acupuncture to help with pain relief. I have had acupuncture before but not for fibromyalgia, I'm just relieved it's free and won't cost me anything. Just hope it helps, has anyone else had acupuncture and did you find it helped? Gentle hugs

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi pillipala I had accupuncture it didnt work for me, but we are all different what works for 1 person may not for another anything is worth a try. I hope it works for you gud look with it take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Thanks Kaz, as you say we are all different and I will try anything that might help! It can't hurt, so I will give it a go- first session Friday, I will post an update! Take care and gentle hugs back.
    • Posted

look forward to hearing how you got on smile the fact its free as well is an added bonus makes a change to get something free ? take care gentle hug
  • Posted

I had it for pain not related to fibro, it worked brilliantly, not for long but any relief is better than none!
    • Posted

Good to know Shelagh fingers crossed it will give some relief! 
    • Posted

Hi Pilipala 10 years ago I had acupuncture for a very painful pulled muscle in my shoulder after 3 days the pain disappeared and never came back until now I have just been told I have frozen shoulder after falling off a bike 

hope it works for you take care

shirl

• Posted

Hi Pillipala, I've had a number of courses and I'm having a course at present. It has always worked really well for me, especially for the back pain I have. 

Good luck and hugs

• Posted

Thanks Lisa, I really hope it helps too, as Kazsaid it's free so that makes it even better. Back pain is a major problem, so fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I really feel for you with the back pain, my back and legs are where the pain hits me the most Im never free from pain in those areas.I was in sheer agony monday with my backsad never mind onwards upwards battle on take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, I really feel for anyone with real back pain. You know when somebody else has suffered with it just by their reaction. It's one of those pains that you just can't seem to function past. I prolapsed my first disc almost 10yrs ago, since then I developed osteoarthritis and prolapsed 2more discs. I was also diagnosed with EDS which means the only solution for my spine would be compleat fusion of my spine. That's not something I'm prepared to go through as I still have some functional movement, albeit painful. I want to keep as much of my indipendence as possible for as long as possible. 

I hope you don't have to many bouts of pain, it can make life rather miserable, and we have enough struggles as it is.

• Posted

Lisa I really sympathise with you, your back must be agony! I have osteoarthritis in my lower spine, 2 discs and osteoporosis in my neck. I too had a prolapsed disc some years ago, but you must be in agony, bless you. Some days my pain killers don't touch it, but I get some relief from my trusty hot water bottles that end up tucked in behind my back if I am sitting at all! I have now developed erethyma ab igne - but my hot water bottle is so comforting, I can live with that! 

Take care and gentle hugs.

• Posted

Hi lisa I had a tear in 1 of my discs last year the dr doesnt think its healed.Also I keep getting a cracking in my back everytime I move when I asked her about it. she said about me having an op on my back. she said she would send me for an mri but as yet havnt heard anything. I think she may have forgotten to refer me. Im never free from pain with my back and legs. But hey ho plod on regardless take care gentle hugs xx hope your daughter is ok she has a saint of aboyfriend looking after her thats comforting for you to know thinking of you gentle hug xx
    • Posted

Hi pillpala My hot water bottle is a god send for by back I use it all the time on my back it helps to ease the pain Im in with it. I have also recently purchased a wheat bag to put on  my neck as I have arthritus in my neck. I wouldnt be with out my hot waterbottle though take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Good morning Kaz, phone your GP surgery and ask if the referral has been done yet. Or phone the hospital, speak to X-ray and ask if they've had the referral and how long the wait is.

gentle hugs and have a great day xxx

• Posted

Hi shelagh will do its not like my gp to forget anything shes normally pretty good to be fair to her. take care hun gentle hugssmile
    • Posted

HiKaz. Yes some days are bad but you do learn as we know, to live with chronic pain. I don't use a hot water bottle as I find I difficult to get comfortable due to the neck of it always irritating me. That said I adore my wheat bags, I think I have four or five. 

I would also chase up your referral. It can take up to 3months here in Manchester to get a scan. Hope you get it soon. I wish there was a surgery I could have that would give me some relief without it being so drastic in nature. Good luck and gentle hugs 😊

• Posted

Hi Pillpala, no it isn't much fun is it? Have you had any surgery, or has it just been pain management? 

Gentle hugs

• Posted

hi lisa I got me some wheat bags on sunday and some other bits pieces I will chase my gp to find out whats going on shes normally pretty good with sorting stuff out. gentle hugs take care xx
    • Posted

That's interesting Lisa I have two prolapsed discs in my neck and two in lower spine. I've been told they won't touch my neck but they didn't explain why just said it was too dangerous. I'm reluctant to have any surgery after a horrendous experience when I got my amazing new knee a few years ago, not going into it in case it puts others off. I also have Osteo arthritis and spondylitis or is it spondylosis, I can never remember.

gentle hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi lisa Ive just watched the video on the debate in westminster hall on fibro. It was very interesting hopefully they will make fibro more aware both with gps hospitals and the public and hopefully get some research done into to find a cure hopefully before the end of my life time would be nicerolleyes
    • Posted

I too have OA in my hips. Did you know the spondylitis, spondylosis, and OA in the spine are all the same condition. If I remember right the spondylosis and spondylitis are the same but are used to describe which area of the spine, although I never remember which way around they are. The OA is what the other two are but is used to describe all other joints. They are differently used so that it's easier to differentiate the joints affected on paper. 

Gentle hugs

• Posted

Kaz I love my wheat bags. I wouldn't be without them 😊
    • Posted

I mentioned this to my husband, hoping to watch it later on today. 

Gentle hugs

• Posted

it was very interesting to hear let me know what you think take care gentle hugs xx
    • Posted

just using my new wheat bag for the 1st time smile wish I could do something for my earache sad gentle hug
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, glad you like the wheat bags, try lying with your head on the wheat bag with your ear against the warmth. The heat might just help ease the earache. 

Gentle hugs

• Posted

Thanks for that lisa will give it a go hadnt thought of doing that. thanks hun gentle hugs xx
    • Posted

That's really interesting Lisa, I've worked in the NHS for years and didn't know that, in my defence I've never worked in Orthopaedics but I did manage Rheumatology clinics for a year or so. My OA is everywhere else, the only thing that doesn't hurt is my fantastic new knee lol
    • Posted

Morning Kaz;  I'm assuming that your earache is related to the Fibro?   If not, then don't put heat against ear,for if is it an infection in the middle ear/ear, it can actually cause the ear-drum to rupture (drawing the inner fluid towards the drum..and increasing the pressure against the drum)....it it is an infection, you are better lying on un-affected side..( and needs to be treated with anti-biotics??)....if it is related to Fibro/Mastoid bone, then Yes, it will help.....sorry if this is confusing..................Bron
    • Posted

Morning Lisa and Shelagh;  I'm sorry, but felt it needed to be clarified....actually the 3 conditions are different.....one refers to the conditions of the cartilage, one to the "slipping of one disc over the next", and the other (spondilites) is atually an inflammation in the disc/cartilage....all three have different forms of treatment....if I remember correctly, it's  the Spondylosis, that the treatment is sometimes where they consider "fusing the discs"??.....sometimes they are secondary to Osteoarthrites....but when in the case of Spondylosis, the reason the discs are considered for fusion is "if there are any nerves pinching....causing tingling/numbness to the arms/legs"....perhaps if you go into the net/google the three, you may find a better explanation than the one I just tried to give?   It's probably a good idea, AS EACH does need different treatment (including the Spondylites...infection).....Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bronwyn, 

Thanks for the info. I found out my info from Arthritis UK, which is worrying 😳 I'll definitely make sure I double check in future. I would hate to give someone wrong info especially when the consequences could be damaging. I can't understand how I got it so wrong especially from an organisation that is the go to place to keep people informed. 

Also sorry to Shelagh, genuine mistake from info I was given. 

Take care and gentle hugs.

• Posted

Hi Lisa; I'd Be Very surprised if anyone on here knows everything....that's what the forum is for...giving each other their experiences and what we have learned....all good, and hope all get better....as I feel that at least Osteo is treatable, and much easier pain managed....(@ least mine is).. than the old Fibro...take care............Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bronwyn, I have to agree witheverything you've said. You're right about osteo is far more manageable than the fibro, but then so much more is known and understood about it to. 

Take care and gentle hugs 

• Posted

Thanks Bron, it's not spondylitis then, I thought itis on the end meant infection ie tonsillitis, appendicitis etc. I know it's related to discs and Spurs on my spine which the nerves get wrapped around causing pain.  The neck problems started after an accident in February 1987 when I got hit by a drunk driver and got a wedge fracture in my neck. I had prolapsed discs in my neck for years, I thought they would just fix themselves but last MRI about a year ago showed two or three (memory!) in my neck and another two or three in lumbar spine. I saw Neurosurgeon last year who said he couldn't do anything due to it being too dangerous, it's the second time I've been told that. I am so sick of the pain sometimes, like now, I could happily take all my painkillers but I don't/won't! there appeared to be something in the tests on Wednesday that they didn't tell me, something relating to the muscles in my right arm but I could be being paranoid. It's a good job my mother isn't still about I'd get so much grief for not listening when she told me I shouldn't be riding all the horses other people wouldn't or I'd end up with damage to my bones. You have to do what you want in this life, there are no second chances but sometimes you suffer for it in later life, I wouldn't change anything though! 

I am am rabitting on this morning, blame lack of sleep, I've been up since 1am and I've run out of painkillers.

gentle hugs Bron

• Posted

Oh Gosh shelagh;  it is bad to have run out of pain-killers.....do you not have a spare script to get one filled?   I once ran out of one of my Imprortant scripts...and since then, have always made sure of having a "spare, short script of same"............you must be feeling horrible..............I think the Gentle hugs are mean't for you...............Bron
    • Posted

I've ordered them from the doctors, I can pick them up this afternoon thank goodness, I don't run out of them normally, not sure what happened this time but I can't wait to get them.

cry

• Posted

Hi shelagh I have done it with meds and painkillers but as I had a new pain I just made an appointment for the same day ....now I make sure I don't run out I fill the tablet tray every Sunday for the week and order script online 😌

take care gentle hugs

Shirl

• Posted

Appointment to see the gp I meant to say... fibro fog today :-)
    • Posted

Hi Shirl, I used to order mine online then I had to reboot my iPad and lost the info from emis. I hate phoning them so keep putting it off hence the problem, I must remember when I go to pick them up to ask for the details again, it's a twelve mile drive, 24 round trip, I'm going when hubby gets in from work at 3ish, I've got two flat tyres on my little car so I have to wait till he gets in, perfect weather for my little car too but it has racing suspension which makes it a bit of a bumpy ride.
    • Posted

Ooh Shelagh what a pain that must be just to get a script !!  my pharmacy is close to the gp they do a free delivery service if ordered with enough notice do you not have that service where you are...I prefer to pick mine up as it gets me out of the house...write the details down for the online service and pharmacy drop off service and put the paper in your bag or coat pocket that way you won't forget :-)

shirl

• Posted

Sorry Shirl it's a dispensing GP, being in the middle of nowhere has advantages, it's great to go to the surgery and get everything in one trip it also means they know everybody. Once I get to the surgery I can pick it up and come straight home, eat, hubby cooks bless him, then take my tablets!
    • Posted

Hi lisa did you watch the debate on fibro in westminister hall?smile gentle hug
    • Posted

Hi bronwyn thank you no it makes perfect sense pain is behind my left ear and pain all down the left side of my head hope it soon wares off soon pain is really bad take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Hi Shelagh, I just wanted to apologise for the genuin mistake about the three conditions. I'm mortified that I passed on info that could have been so damaging. I've had my husband on a hunt for the info sheets I was given. That way I can be absolutely sure about the way I clearly understood it (or not so clearly as the case may be), and educate myself better, and if the info is still misleading I can contact them. Really sorry again 😢

Really hope. Your having better days soon, gentle hugs xx

• Posted

No don't apologise Lisa, it's fine, absolutely no harm done, I should know what I've got at my age! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.