Acute CKD - advice wanted

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, Everybody,

I searched before posting, so hope I'm not asking something that's already been answered.

Yesterday, my labs showed 1.46 Creatinine, 52 GFA. I looked up over 6 years of previous labs, including one from June 2016 which all showed Creatinine of either 1.0 or 1.1 and GFA from 77-66.

I have been taking more Ibuprofen than before, but never more than 800 mg/day. Could this be the culprit?

If not, what could cause such a dramatic increase in 7 months? Mentally, I handled this much better yesterday than today for some reason. Any ideas much appreciated.

BTW, I turn 60 this week. Happy ____ing Birthday, right?

- Forrest

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

forrest, here is a reply I gave to a similar enquiry on this site yesterday:

"Yes, Nurofen is a NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug and can damage kidneys long term if taken for just a few months.  I know from experience as I took Ibuprofen in small doses for several months to cope with an at-the-time undiagnosed painful auto-immune illness, and was diagnosed with CKD as a result.  I may have been more vulnerable owing to the fact that I had just a sole kidney, having had one removed in childhood.  However, the remaining kidney was perfectly normal in every way for 50 years.......until I took Ibuprofen. I am also Vit D deficient, and taking a 3-month course of Vit D3 supplement (Cholecalciferol) at this moment in time."

I wouldn't touch Ibuprofen with a barge pole again, even though I have since been told by one doctor that it would be ok if I needed it for just a few days for pain relief.

My reduced function as a result of Ibuprofen has never returned to normal - in fact, it continues on a downward spiral.  It was 54-56ish after the few months on Ibuprofen and it is now, about 10 years later, varying between 37 and 40.  But I am ageing and high blood pressure isn't helping. 

• Posted

you replied to my query thank you - I do hope you stay welll.  You sound a lovely, caring person xxx
    • Posted

Aww, bless you and thank you for your kind words and for taking the trouble to post them. If anything I post helps even one person, I am happy.😊xx

• Posted

I have googled can nsaids cause irreversible damage to kidneys and the results are so conflicting with some sites saying yes and some saying no.  From your personal experience, it seems the damage was irreversable, bless you.  It must therefore depend on other factors, such as the health of the person taking the nsaids and at what dosage and for how long.  So it is hard to draw to a conclusion!  I have cut down on taking nurofen and hope that my short term high dosage hasn't done too much harm .... I suppose I shall have to wait until April to find out when my next bloods are drawn.

• Posted

You will get conflicting reports on the internet - some sites aren't even worth a second glance.  Even posting our own experiences in trying to answer someone's query should not be taken as gospel that it will happen to you.  As I said previously, I may have been more at risk from Ibuprofen because of the fact that I have only one kidney.  So please don't assume that anyone else whose kidney function may have been reduced by NSAIDs will find it irreversible.  Everyone is different in both their response to any health condition and to its treatment.  And just to reassure you further, one reliable source quotes the following:  

"Renal function will recover in most patients after withdrawal of NSAID therapy. Steroids may aid recovery in patients with interstitial nephritis who do not improve after stopping NSAID therapy. NSAID use should be avoided in the future in such patients."  

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks to all. That helps.

If it helps clarify:

Bun              22

Sodium      137

Potassium     5.4

Chloride       97

I was taking Whey protein about 2-3 x / week. After what I've read, I'm going to a low(er) protein diet immediately.

I took Hydrocodone 10-325s for eight years before getting lumbar fusion. I switched to Oxycodone between my June 2016 lab and the latest, but understand that Opioids do not affect kidney function. Even though I still have lower back and neck pain, I have quit the Oxy, too, just to play it safe.

I have had well-controlled hypertension for 20 yrs +; currently on Lisinopril and HCTZ. I take Pravastatin for cholesterol. Levels are now w/in spec since I bought a juicer. I will substitute maybe 3-4 meals a week for vegetable juice - kale, spinich, beets, cucumber and apple or something like that.

Anything here that could have had an effect?

I will be drinking lots of water from now on. I do believe I was a little dehydrated during the last blood sample, but don't see how that could take the Creatinine from 1.1 all the way to 1.46.

• Posted

Surely nsaids cannot cause a huge drop in gfr though? 
    • Posted

I should clarify - the most recent lab results were from a new lab b/c I switched doctors. The previous company ran a formula, I noticed.

When Creatinine was = or < 1.0, then GFR would read '> 59'. Only Creatinine levels above 1.0 would generate a GFR reading.

I just assumed no big changes in results, and now get hit with this. For all of you who have gone through the same thing, I empathize.

• Posted

Depends on how much your taking and what pre-existing health conditions you have.
  • Posted

Hi,

Stop the ibuprofen straight away, kidney's don't like it and it will be affecting your GFR and creatinine (the two are linked).  After you have stopped for a month or so have repeat blood tests done and you will see if it has made a difference.  If it has you know what has caused it, if not you know it needs investigating further.

Oh and Happy birthday smile

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I got rid of the Ibuprofen as soon as I got my results. The doctor said use Tylenol only as needed.
    • Posted

Best advice was from Helen.  If investigation is needed start with diet if tests show you are high in sodium, potassium, etc.  Above all DRINK WATER!!  
    • Posted

Yes, I've been drinking quite a bit more water since the results (2/20). Urination is not a problem and will run clear after I've been up for a few hours if that means anything.

• Posted

I drink lots too but mine is always orange! (sorry if tmi)  I do tend to cut my fluids down drom mid pm though otherwise I am up lots through the night sad

• Posted

That's fine - I am normally private but this news rattled me a bit, so anything might help at some point.

• Posted

The very reliable Mayo Clinic quote the following:

"Orange urine may result from:

Medical conditions. In some cases, orange urine can indicate a problem with your liver or bile duct, especially if you also have light-colored stools. Orange urine may also be caused by dehydration, which can concentrate your urine and make it much deeper in color".

I guess it wiil be the dehydration in your case as you mention cutting your fluids down from mid pm.  Personally, I wouldn't do that - you must drink plenty of water to dilute that urine.  I'm up several times a night, too, but I wouldn't restrict my fluid intake.  In fact I even sip water through the night as I get thirsty.

• Posted

Hi,

I have just looked at your results, your sodium is fine and your potassium is only slightly over the range which is between 3-5.  Don't change your diet to lower you potassium just yet, if you do you may lower it too much and too low potassium has the same result as too high, it will put you in hospital and could lead to heart issues.  Its a fine balencing act you will find.  You will get used to things though and hopefully you can regain some of your GFR fingers crossed.

• Posted

Good to know. I've never tried to contol potassium levels.

I assume the results are accurate, and understand the only changes to make now are quitting the ibuprofen and drinking more water. Prior to the most recent results, I didn't hydrate enough, so hope that will help.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.