adenoma but normal prolactin?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How common is the above? Could you still have an adenoma with normal prolactin?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there, I would have to say yes. I just recently had my MRI and still have tumour, but yet my levels have come way Down so if they went with just my levels. Not sure what they would have done. Hope this helps
  • Posted

of course

there are many types of

pituitary tumors or adenomas

well around 4 types

prolactinoma

tsh-oma

etc...

too much cortisol- Cushing's

• Posted

Adding to Cournay26's reply...

... and that is just the functioning types.

You can also have a non-functioning adenoma which means it blocks part of the pituitary from doing its job. Other aspects continue to work either normally or substandard. So there is no overwhelming reason why you should have some normal hormones and still have a tumour.

Total block on all hormones seems rare nowadays,  I guess the adenoma finally gets found first. A scary number of people struggle along until they go for an eye-test complaining about blured vision only to be told to go see a consultant like yesterday.

• Posted

They are looking at my Cortisol levels now I can’t sleep at all..... I now have diareaha for more than a month and half  and my stomach keeps getting bigger  but not nescesarly gaining anywhere else.
    • Posted

yes, I guess that could sound like Cushings

after they will check if it is

Cushing's Syndrome or Disease

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.