adhesion? scar tissue?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 9 weeks post op for TKR. I went for my physical therapy yesterday and during a ROM measurement for bending, I found myself feeling pain on the right side of my new knee. My therapist worked to massage it and said it might be an adhesion or scar tissue. This was not the first time I have had this pain, but it was the first time I could pin point where the pain was coming from. I spent most of the rest of my day, resting my knee and icing it. Whenever I try to push a bend to improve my ROM, I experience this pain and have to stop. I am now able to ride my stationary bike and do full rotations for 10 minutes with a tension setting of 2, but still cant get beyond a 110 ROM without feeling this pain. Has anyone else had this issue and what should I do?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think at 10 weeks you should expect various niggles and pains coming and going., especially while exercising. I've still got a lingering pain on t he outside of my knee which seems more like a ligament than the joint itself.

110 deg ROM at 9 weeks? Something I could only dream about now at 20 weeks! What was it like before the op?

• Posted

Hi,

Prior to the operation, I had no issues with ROM, but had pain when bending....a grinding pain that left me with having to learn the correct way to walk all over again, as I had been compensating for years due to the osteoarthritis getting worse in my knees.  By the end of the work day (being on feet on hard tile floors for 8 hours), I could barely walk.  So, I am really looking forward to the time when I am pain free with new knee!

• Posted

From my personal experience and I am almost 11 months post TKR, I think you are doing great.  I ended up having a second surgery to remove scar tissue along with a closed manipulation.  I am at 120 degrees bend and still deal with severe swelling and pain every day.  Like was said before there’s going to be pain.....but at the rate you are going it seems like you will have a good result.
    • Posted

Well in my case I am 11 months out experienced very little pain stopped painkillers on the sixth day post op ,obviously very painful to stand and walk on for the first few weeks.I never ever elevated or did any of the exercises whatsoever but I did row on my m/c and now I am back to rowing 10 k at a time.The only thing is I still have only a 95 degree bend and can not fully extend my leg.It doesn't bother me one bit even though I am slow going up and coming downstairs apart from that I am ok and have no regrets.

I think I will gradually be able to increase my r o m as time passes,by the way the tenderness and numbness have nearly gone although there is still a slight bit of swelling.I did use ice packs to help the swelling up to about four months out.

• Posted

Paula, may I ask what surgery you had after your TKR?   I am having an arthoscopic surgery next week.  I am 10 months po, and have a build up of scar tissue.  Went to a different doctor'(surgeon), this time.  Original OS poo pooed my concerns.   This new doctor says there is a study going on and why some ppl form large amounts of scar tissue and some do not.......Did you have manipulation AND a second surgery?

• Posted

Hi Martha-

At the end of March I had during the same surgery arthroscopic scar tissue removal and a closed manipulation. Not pleasant in the beginning but did allow me to get over the hump. I was regressing in therapy. I too will be seeking a second opinion as the swelling and pain that i still have doesn't seem right. I have good range of motion but the swelling is ridiculous.

• Posted

paula so the original surgeon did your arthoscopic surgery for scar tissue? -and manipulation at same time?? snd you arent better? still have lots of pain??

• Posted

yes, same surgeon. 2nd procedures at the same time. Don't get me wrong. I ave very good range of motion and everything, but for whatever reason my body does not like the artificial knee and reacts by swelling...a lot . This contributes to the pain I am sure. I will be seeking a second opinion which is easier said than done where I live.

• Posted

interesting maybe a bit like some of us (me) being prone to keloid scarring and others not. 8' fact i wondee if there's any correlation betweeb being a keloid former and other scar tissue formation issues!

• Posted

don't you think the lack of range of movement is because you didn't do the post op exercise regime ? I'm curious as to why you didn't. I am told that if you don't get that sorted in early stages it is unlikely to 'come back'.

• Posted

Loads of People have religiously done all the exercising and elevating enduring all the pain and greater swelling and still they are not right.When I was in the Hospital the Physio insisted I push my leg backwards and forwards using my foot hooked around the operated shin, I could not move it very far and it felt like it was going to burst ,this I told the Physio and he replied impossible you wont do any damage.Next thing ping I had burst a staple from the wound and because of the blood thinners it was hard to stop the bleeding and they were going to put the drain back in..I awoke in the night in a pool of blood around my operated on knee,and vowed there and then no more exercise and if as they threatened me I could not go home til I did exercise I said right I will stay here then

On the sixth day post op they let me go and common sense told me that as the knee was so enlarged there was no room for the replacement to bend and you did not have to be particularly bright to realise this. To me Physios are justifying there job by getting you to see them,obviously if you didn't then they would be unemployed..So off I went, after about two weeks I started rowing again with just my arms and gradually got back into rowing with my legs gradually increasing the bend without feeling pain.

Whereas I can row 10 k continuous at a sitting now,I have never had any pain in my knee apart from initially when standing or walking but that has gradually and then completely gone at about six months.

My knee without exercising looked as though I had one of those floor kneeling pads stuck on it.The whole thigh and calf muscle were as though they were made of wood,but because I let it heal naturally it has now subsided and is almost normal and feels like normal muscle now.

Imagine if you had a deep cut on your elbow,the last thing you would do is stretch vigourously backwards and forwards until it had healed,because if you didn't it woulds plit the wound and bleed.

Also celticchick you have said that you have been told that if you don't exercise the rom is unlikely to comeback,conversely I have seen on forums that if you don't keep exercising the replacement for the rest of your life you will lose your rom and be back to square one.

Hope this helps you......

• Posted

I did PT for months, went to the gym for months and still am having to have additional surgery this coming Wednesday for scar tissue and manipulation. This happens to some people and thankfully there is an OS in Charlotte doing a study on why it happens to some and not to others.... And quite frankly, it's insulting when people say, Why didn't you do your exercises? I DID do them!!!!!

• Posted

well there are good, bad and indifferent physios as in all jobs and it sounds like you suffered at the hands of one of the not good ones - i understand that that would be very off putting and i am sorry you had to endure that and the consequences. i fully expect to have to maintsin an exercise regime of some sort indefinitely maybe forever and i think they do not make it clear enough go people that that is the name of the game!

• Posted

of course it is - but i was asking the person who said he didn't do them. LOTS of variables that affect healing and recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.