adhesion? scar tissue?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 9 weeks post op for TKR. I went for my physical therapy yesterday and during a ROM measurement for bending, I found myself feeling pain on the right side of my new knee. My therapist worked to massage it and said it might be an adhesion or scar tissue. This was not the first time I have had this pain, but it was the first time I could pin point where the pain was coming from. I spent most of the rest of my day, resting my knee and icing it. Whenever I try to push a bend to improve my ROM, I experience this pain and have to stop. I am now able to ride my stationary bike and do full rotations for 10 minutes with a tension setting of 2, but still cant get beyond a 110 ROM without feeling this pain. Has anyone else had this issue and what should I do?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen I’m 16wks this Thursday I only have 95 ROM

I still have swelling stiffness and pain I had physio this morning she feels that I have turned a corner but I won’t get any more bend!!i will continue with my exercises and do my best as my other knee needs doing but I can’t face it yet won’t get it done till I’ve overcome this one 

Keep fighting keep positive stay strong 

• Posted

I've said it before on here and not everyone agrees but there is strong evidence that you will only get back a bit more ROM than you had pre-op, especially if you had  restricted rom for years before due to OA and bone spurs. But everyone has a different pathway and inherent fitness and age also play a significant part. You seem to be doing pretty well to me and should make a good recovery.

• Posted

thank you its nice to get feed back but some posts i feel its a competition as to who is better than the other person we r all different

• Posted

HI i am now 13 wks post op from bilateral TKR s. I stopped all string meds at 4 days post op and now use paracetamol occasionally .

I was having problems getting beyond 90 degree bend on my L KNEE . I GOT TO 120 on my R KNEE fairly easily by following the exercises and pulling leg with belt etc

L LEG completely different ! struggled to get it to 90 degrees .kept pushng it and eventualy got to 95 but then it stuck , I could not get it beyond that , even physio could not force it beyond 95 .

I started work with a private physio who was experienced in sports injury and massage. the deep tissue massage is painfull but it has really improved my L LEG ,

I've started swiming and she pushed me with exercise regime . I've now got 120 in my R leg and 115 in my L .

As most people say on here the exercises really payoff if you want to get the most out of the surgery and get back to an active lifestlye .

I still get aches and pains ( new pains n new places ) and tire easily , I think thats fairly normal , hopefully these will become less over time .

• Posted

Im at the beginning on wee k 10 and have the same thing. My PT Said I Just need to keep strengthening my knee. MY ROM is 123 but cant get past that! I would be excited to hear what others have heard!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.