Adjusting to mini monovision after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had my second eye done. The first eye (dominant eye) is at 20/40 and the doctor tweaked the IOL for my second eye so that maybe I'd have 20/20 and an overall wider range of vision. I haven't been back to read the Snellen yet but I'm thinking better distance in the left eye has been achieved. My question is, will I get used to this? I mean will I be able to drive with just the left eye set to distance and the other at intermediate? I almost feel as though to get that crispness I would need glasses. Also, has anyone ever just worn one contact lens to perfect the vision in one eye? 

Thank you,

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After around six weeks of healing, you can have the doctor check to see how far apart in diopters your eyes are.  If they are too far apart, then you could always have them do laser on one of them as an option to bring it either in or out more depending on whether you prefer to have better near or distance vision.
  • Posted

It may be difficult with your dominant eye set a little nearsighted.  But you may get used to it in time.

Having a pair of eyeglasses for driving isn't a bad idea in any case, probably need sunglasses anyway so make them prescription.

• Posted

You probably have a difference of about 1.0D in the 2 eyes (assuming that the difference in the vision is not due to astigmatism in the first eye). I think that you will do fine with this difference. Actually, you will be a lot happier because of having good vision at both the intermediate and far distances than someone with both eyes providing good vision at far distance only.
  • Posted

I'm sure you'll get used to the difference pretty quickly!  I have a difference of around -2 to -2.25 between my eyes and I'm adjusting to it quite well although the first 6 weeks or so were difficult and frustrating at times (I'm 3 months post op now).  It's mostly the close up I found frustrating - the distance has always been very clear.

I drove for the first time post op about a month ago and I was absolutely fine without glasses - my distance vision is way clearer now after surgery than it was with the progressive glasses I used to wear.  I was a bit worried I'd struggle with the driving but I really didn't notice the monovision at all.

Having said that I had to renew my driver's licence last month and I failed the eye test because of the monovision!  I could see the first two columns through the eye test machine perfectly but I couldn't even see the letters in the third (right hand column).  I explained to the licence people that it was because of the monovision and that I would be getting glasses once my eyes were settled. 

• Posted

CaroZim,

I am not sure if having monovision is the main reason for you not passing the eye test. It is probably because while the vision with your distance eye is a lot better than before the surgery, it may not be 20/20.

I have used monovision (the left eye for reading and the right eye for distance) for the last 30 years, first with contact lenses and then with IOLs, and have never had any issue with the eye test. The main thing is to have good distance vision in at least 1 eye.

• Posted

I failed the test because I couldn't see the right hand side letters when looking through the machine.  The left hand side letters I could see using only my left eye, the middle letters I could see with both eyes (because my left eye is set for distance) but using my right eye only I couldn't see anything because the right eye is set for close up and so it can't see letters in the distance.

The guy said I'd failed the test because I couldn't see clearly through my right eye.  He let it go though because I said I currently didn't drive (I live in Singapore and can't afford to own a car!) and that I would get glasses for driving in the future when my eyes had fully settled.  The test was done in New Zealand so maybe the laws are different there.

I personally don't think I need glasses for driving though as I can see perfectly in the distance - only possible problem would be if my left eye somehow got blocked and I only had my right eye available.  Having said that I will get glasses for night time driving as my vision is worse at night so it's better to be safe than sorry.  

• Posted

It seems that the vision test machines in New Zealand are different from those in USA, where they test the vision with the eyes working together than rather than one at a time.

You have to do what you have to do (i.e., get glasses as needed) to pass the driving test. However, you may even find that driving with glasses is harder for you than without glasses, because while you can see a little better in the distance, the instruments are not as clear as you may like. Any way, when the time comes for your driving, you will figure out the best combination for yourself.

• Posted

My driver's license here in California expires in July, though it may get auto-renewed like the last time several years ago.

If I have to renew it, it will be interesting if I take the DMV eye test with only my right eye corrected for distance with a monofocal toric IOL.

I found this info from the DMV license renewal FAQ:

Do I need to report Lasik or similar vision surgery?

2A. DMV's vision screening standard is at least 20/40 when both eyes are tested together, and at least 20/70 in the weaker eye. If you recently had surgery to correct one eye for distance and the other for close-up vision, you may not meet the screening standard, and must renew your driver license in person at a DMV office.

• Posted

My driver's license here in California expires in July, though it may get auto-renewed like the last time several years ago.

If I have to renew it, it will be interesting if I take the DMV eye test with only my right eye corrected for distance with a monofocal toric IOL.

• Posted

Hi there, If I remember correctly you are the one who is really good with the prescription numbers. First week post op on my second (left) eye this is my prescription

OD              -1.00 (sphere) +0.25 (cylinder) 075' (axis)

OS              plano (sphere) +0.50 (cylinder) 180' (axis)

I haven't the foggiest, except I think plano means no prescription right? When they did the refractive test none of the options made my eyesight in my most recently operated eye any better. All lenses were blurry. 

Remember, when they did my right eye (dominant eye) they didn't quite achieve the distance and I ended up at 20/40. I'm concerned with this because I'm not comfortable driving with the vision I have currently. Hence, he gave me a script.

I appreciate your help

Diane

• Posted

Your latest prescription indicates indeed you are -1D nearsighted in your right eye, so 20/40 or so distance vision would be expected in that eye without eyeglasses.

Your left eye plano is indeed no correction needed for distance, and the astigmatism (cylinder) is quite low so I'd expect 20/25 or better distance vision in that eye - its similar to the prescription I have in my right eye after cataract surgery.

So if your left eye is still blurry and its still early (only a week or so after surgery) your cornea probably needs more healing time, so give it time at least a few weeks after you can stop the Rx eyedrops. My own eye vision didn't improve and stabilize until a couple weeks after I could stop the eyedrops, so nearly 2 months after surgery.

• Posted

If you are getting near 20/20 in your left eye and about 20/40 in your right (dominant) eye and having difficulty with both eyes together it could be due to not having the good distance vision in your dominant eye.  I know I tried mini-monovision with contacts both ways a few  years ago and it was only comfortable vision with both eyes if my dominant eye was the one set for distance.  Though it may be possible to get used to it the other way after weeks or months.

But you should get a pair of eyeglasses to get both eyes corrected for good distance vision for driving anyway.

• Posted

I basically agree with the answer, which Night-Hawk has already given you a few minutes back.

Firstly, the good part. I think that once the vision in your left eye settles down, you will be very happy with the end results. The astigmatism in your left eye is quite low. So, unless it increases significantly as your vision settles down, you should be able to see 20/20 or at least 20/25 in that eye. Please keep on using the eye drops which the doctor has suggested. In addition, it will be a good idea to keep lubricant eye drops a few times a day (even if you don't feel other symptoms of dry eyes). I know that in my case, use of such eye drops made a huge difference in the goodness of my vision. Many people (including me) have also found taking one or two fish oil capsules a day very helpful, depending on the specific reason for having dry eyes.

Once the left eye settles down, you should have good vision from about 26 inches to far, which is a good range to have and makes it easy to live without glasses, except for needing glasses to read fine print at 16-18 inches. Also, you will find it easy to adjust to the mini-monovision, which you have.

While the left eye is healing, you may want to get an inexpensive pair of glasses for driving. Even if you don't need those glasses any more in a month or so, spending $70 to $80 may be worth having the ability to drive in the interim period.

• Posted

Night-Hawk and at201, thank you for that input. I knew you both would understand that script. Which number indicates astigmatism? I was under the impression I had no astigmatism. 

I'm hoping I can adjust to this new vision, because I had Lasik all those years ago so that I wouldn't have to wear glasses.

• Posted

Your cylindrical correction numbers indicate the degree of your astigmatism. If those numbers are not more than 0.5D, as in your case, the amount of astigmatism is considered to be small and nothing to worry about. One can easily have that much variation during the day.

Most probably, you won't have to wear glasses except for reading.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.