Advice following knee surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just wondering how others felt two days after knee surgery

Although I can just about chive a 90 degree bend I am finding it extremely stiff and painful.Just wondering whether this is typical

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes is normal and will be for many months after. It's not a quick fix operation and there will be many ups and downs which we've all experienced. Things get better and if you follow a good pain relief schedule and exercise and rest you will find things get easier. I'm now 6 months post tkr and I still get stiff knee especially if I'm on the move a lot but the stiffness isn't as bad as it was early on. Just remember you've just had avert traumatic operation and muscle tendons and nerve endings have all got to heal as well as the knee itself. You sound as though you're doing really well for only 2 days after surgery so keep up the good work! 🌞😉
    • Posted

Thanks for your reassuring reply.Pain is not too bad at the moment although I am taking a cocktail of pain killers.

I was told that I need to have a 90 degree bend before I can leave hospital I am just worried that this will not come easily. I know that I am trying to run before I can walk but I worry about every problem

• Posted

Please don't feel because your knee feels good that you go for gold!! I had a partial knee replacement in March going back to work next week eek! When I went for my 12 week post op the pain was still there she x rayed and my knee was fine. But she thinks I was trying to do too much far too soon. I remember 1 week post op I went shopping I don't drive so me and my shopping trolley off we went. Felt marvellous at the time boy did I suffer!! For nearly a week. Do your physio take the pain meds. I eventually got my hands in a exercise bike which I wish I had got sooner. Listen to your body but don't be daft like me!! It can take up too 1. Year.

Good luck

Gill xxx

• Posted

I was told I needed a 90 degree bend by 6 weeks!! I can't believe that you've been told you need to reach 90 2 days after your op!!! That seems madness especially as your knee if be so swollen. It seems that every one gets different goals. I was in hospital for 3 days and was asked to make sure I could bend and straighten by knee, also walk with 2 sticks and to be able to go up and down the stairs. I was paranoid about reaching the 90 degree bend by week 6 that I was doing my exercises at every waking moment - even at night when I couldn't sleep!! I managed it by week 3. Just try as hard as u can and good luck!
  • Posted

Don't overdo it christine. Everything is healing. Steady does it. As Clarkey says, you need to keep up the pain relief and you need as much sleep as your knee will let you. You may not sleep well for some time. 2 days after the op I was still in hospital. Are you home already? I was in 3 nights.
  • Posted

I was in agony and being sick, could hardly move - sounds as if you are doing really well! Don't overdo it though and keep up the pain meds- it's a rocky road for some and just a case of time for others who have straightforward recovery. Good luck and be careful
  • Posted

Good grief....most people can't get their leg off the bed in 2 days let alone bend it. Yeah, you're going to feel stiff and swollen because you are stiff and swollen. You might even feel it getting worse as you increase activity but it's not a big concern as you will move back and forth throughout the process. Just remember to take pain meds on a prescribed basis, not when pain sets in. It will be interesting to follow the progress of someone who is off to such a powerful start

Just keep reminding yourself this is a very difficult surgery. There is a tremendous amount of internal trauma that has to heal. The external damage is just a fraction of what goes on inside and it all has to heal at a pace set by the body itself. Don't be discouraged if you find a day now and then that frustrates you.

Keep us informed and if you have questions, just ask. Someone on here will be back with a real case history as we have all been through it.

• Posted

Good grief....most people can't get their leg off the bed in 2 days let alone bend it. Yeah, you're going to feel stiff and swollen because you are stiff and swollen. You might even feel it getting worse as you increase activity but it's not a big concern as you will move back and forth throughout the process. Just remember to take pain meds on a prescribed basis, not when pain sets in. It will be interesting to follow the progress of someone who is off to such a powerful start

Just keep reminding yourself this is a very difficult surgery. There is a tremendous amount of internal trauma that has to heal. The external damage is just a fraction of what goes on inside and it all has to heal at a pace set by the body itself. Don't be discouraged if you find a day now and then that frustrates you.

Keep us informed and if you have questions, just ask. Someone on here will be back with a real case history as we have all been through it.

• Posted

I could hardly walk after my TKR. So I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice. I was up and walking the next day with the use of a walker. And I e was able to bend my knee quiet far. It was the extension that was difficult for me. Almost a year later I still can't get a full extension. I'm st a -1 on extending my rt knee. However I have alot of hamstring damage and nerve damage. I hope it all goes better for you. Happy healing. It's a long trip.
  • Posted

I am six weeks post op and just at 88. I had A LOT of swelling which makes it impossible to bend the amount that PTs would LIKE you to achieve.

I focused on how I felt, the fact that I was walking to the bathroom every half hour assisted by THREE PEOPLE due to my nerve block, two drains, and my pole of saline, glucose, and antibiotics.

I felt like I was achieving A LOT just making it back to bed and RELAXING until I would need to GO

AGAIN!

Listen to your body. Do the bed exercises they give you, keep hydrated, and call your nurse whenever it is pain meds time. The bend will come, but YOU COME FIRST!

• Posted

So glad to have found this site. Been reading your messages and feel a lot better for having done so. I Had a PKR 4 weeks tomorrow. I went in to hospital for day surgery and ended up staying a week! My knee has been so stiff, feels like a tight band around it. I'm icing and taking pain relief but feel so tearful at the moment, I'm managing to get around on one crutch but I suppose it's going to take time and rest. I just feel that it should be better than this.
    • Posted

You are actually doing well. You can't rush it. 4 weeks is no time at all. I had TKR but even so, I still think you are ahead of the game. Well done.
    • Posted

Dr's will talk the physical aspects of this surgery and some of the traditional aspects of the healing but I am yet to find one that will in advance, discuss the emotional side. Often the depression is very oppresive and an honest discussion with the Dr's is in order. There are some simple meds to help you over the hump if you need them. Don't let yourself get too far down without asking for help. Many find themselves doing much better after getting help. It will get better........slowly but surely. Some of us have fought through leg problems for years and have had multiple surgeries ( 6 weeks ago I had my 11th) and we all heal differently but we all get there. When you realize the trauma the leg has gone through its a wonder any of us ever walk again. Stay on track and stay with us, someone is o n here day and night due to different parts of the world represented. I'm in the central part of the US. Hang in there. We all become friends on here and take others concerns seriously even though sometimes humor is good change of pace.
    • Posted

The tight band is very common and should go in a few weeks. It's still early days for you. Keep doing what you are doing and it will ease gradually.
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline, I'm sure it will ease, it just gets a bit frustrating especially at night, I keep having these muscle spasms where my whole knee sees to draw itself upwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.