Advice needed 5 days post opp

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had full abdomen hysterectomy on tuesday and was discharged yesterday. I have been sent home with no aftercare and was wondering if this is normal. They told me i am back in clinic in 6 weeks and to contact my gp in the meantime. I asked who will be redressing my wound and they said it doesnt need redressing and i can remove dressing myself on tuesday. My consultant also told me he would be putting me on hrt within 1 week of surgery yet nurses told me that they wait till my follow up appointment to discuss this (in 6 weeks) I am 46 and have had everything removed including ovaries X

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

I had a laparoscopic total hysterectomy keeping only my ovaries. It seems to me that you need to contact your Gynecologist. My physician had told me that if when she got in there and if my ovaries were removed that I would come Home with a hormone patch for HRT. I also know others who were started on HRT before leaving the hospital. I kept my ovaries and my hormones are all over the place. Remember that you have to be your own advocate. Please take care. 

• Posted

Hi Pamela. Im going to phone my gp in the morning regarding hrt. Was terrible last night woke up wet through and obviously with surgery only few days ago it is hard enough to move in bed as it is. Thanks for your reply luv X

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

If you are fairly mobile I would see your GP about going on HRT as soon as you can if that is what you want. I had everything removed and was back on HRT within 2 weeks post op. I was sent home after my op with meds and that was about it! I didn't even have follow up appointment

• Posted

Morning glennie. Im going to phone my gp in morning regarding hrt cos im not coping. Im as mobile as i can be at this stage. Think its terrible how they send us home with not alot of advice. Thanks for reply luv xx
  • Posted

Hi, Lynn,

I'm so sorry! In 6 weeks, your external stitches should be just about healed.  But, internally, it may take up to 8 months for those stitches to heal.  Your body will also need to learn how to adapt after surgery.  

You will need plenty of rest.  Don't lift anything heavier than a 2 liter carton of milk for at least 6 weeks.  No housework! The best exercise for you will be walking, but not too much.

The best gift you can I've yourself is sufficient rest--and to allow your body to heal at it's own rate.

Other things may come up.  If you post your questions on this site, one of us will answer.  Best of luck to you! xx   

• Posted

Thanks lynda i have had more support from you lovely ladies on this site than i have had from the professionals ! They gave me an extra dressing for my husband to change but non of us know whdt the wound is supposed to look like in respect of it healing nicely xx
    • Posted

If your wound becomes red, or swollen, and the redness starts to spread, say about 2" on either side, it could be becoming infected.  You will also spike a fever, say over 102.  If that happens, contact your doctor. It is normal for some wounds to suppurate, but if you had stitches and surgical glue there shouldn't be much leakage.  It may also scab up in places.  

You might want to do some research on the web.  I recently had surgery, and used a foaming wash with warm wet wash cloths to bathe, and towel dry.  But I didn't get in the shower.  

I wiped myself down.  My husband helped me dry off.  There are instructions on the web on how to do it, I think.  The foam worked on my hair, and everywhere else.  I didn't touch the surgical site at all for about 4 weeks, when I got in the shower and let the warm water run over it.

We got a shower chair, and now I wash my hair, cover myself with body wash, then sit down in the chair and rinse myself off.  I had surgery on 2/28 but I am still unsteady and in pain.  (It was abdominal surgery.)

Best of luck to you! xx 

• Posted

I didn’t have full surgery, however I too was sent home without any redressing of incisions. I did body wash with wash clothes and body soap, avoiding the incisions within a week they started to come off. I add antibiotic ointment to wounds. Stay strong 
  • Posted

Hello I am 5 weeks post op for total laparoscopic hysterectomy. The 3 incisions did not need after care. The steristrips will fall off on their own. 

I had frequent urination and horrible gas pains for the first week. Then things started to get back to normal. I was offered a hormone patch in the hospital but refused until my 2 week follow up. I saw my doctor and was given the option to start hormone therapy. I decided to wait since I had zero symptoms of menopause. After 5 weeks, still no symptoms.  Walk a little bit each day to gain strength. Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi heather i dont have steristrips its a 7" incision. Hot sweats have already started cos i was on prostap injections for past 13 months but they have kicked in big time now. Im going to phone my gp tomorrow xx

• Posted

Your consultant should be well versed in your case, if you are getting mixed up messages from the nurses, speak to him. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

​I had a full abdominal 2 weeks ago and I woke up with my HRT patch on me, If you can I would try and speak with your consultant or GP, there is no reason to wait. I took my dressing off once I got home, just make sure its dry after a shower and no baths for 6 weeks. 

Take care

EJ x

• Posted

That is exacattly what're they told me as well. I had one ovary kept because some studies say it is better to keep one for bone and heart health. But, I still needed to go on 1 mg. of estrogen . My surgery was last April 6 2017. Took me a full 6 months to heal. But really you need a year to feel fully recovered. Have your vitamen D level checked when you get the blood test for hormone levels. The vitamin D makes you feel better mentally and physically too. I noticed a huge difference. Try and stretch gently and walk a little when you can too avoid getting adhesions ( scar tissue ) sleep and rest as much as you can too heal faster. 

• Posted

Hi I had full hysterectomy two weeks ago and was sent home with hrt patches which have helped with hot flushes but mood is all over the place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.