Advice needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, after months of panic attacks and low mood I started on 20mg fluoxetine and after 3 weeks of horrendous side effects, I started feeling much better. on week 6 I had a review with my doctor and explained to him that I was still really socially anxious so he upped my dose to 40mg. I lasted 3 weeks on this dose because I felt so bad on it. I've gone back to 20mg 4 days ago but still feel awful, low mood and anxiety. I'm worried I'm never going to feel better. Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kay, i'm no expert but i've found these tablets take a long time to start working,

I started on 20mg and it was around 12 weeks for my anxiety to start easing, i've now been on them 5 months and my anxiety is almost gone, but i'm still left with low mood so only last week had my dosage upped to 30mg.

From what i've read on here you need to give each dose time to work gradually, so maybe you swapping up and down so soon is the reason your anxiety is worse,

i'd give the 20mg time to settle, the doctors say weeks but its more like months for most people, and i know its hard to be patient when you just want to feel ok!! but its good to talk on here, its helped me loads xx

• Posted

yes I'm definitely feeling worse since increasing and decreasing the dose. I'm just really struggling now and desperate for some relief. thankyou for replying to me x

• Posted

I think you have to let yourself get used to a certain dose, i know everyone is different but for me i got every side effect going when i first started taking them, and its scary not knowing if thats how you should feel or not,

I searched the internet endlessly looking for others going through the same as me, and so many said to give it time to work, even though some lucky ones get better much quicker, for me though i've had to wait and like i said my anxiety is about gone its just my mood which isn't great hence me going back to the doctors for an increase, but so far so good as i haven't had any more side effects thank god!! i was so scared they'd make my anxiety come back.

Just give them time to settle, and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon xx

• Posted

I'm doing exactly the same thing with the internet. I think because I started to feel abit better for a few weeks and then changed my dose and now feel worse, I'm worrying it's not going to work now. I had every side effect too but they all subsided after 3 weeks x

• Posted

I'm sure you'll start to feel better when you've given your body time to adjust to the new dose, all i did was worry to start with and that didn't help my anxiety!!

The bloody doctors don't always help either, i know its not their fault but they don't know what it actually feels like when on these tablets, but talking on here can help put your mind at rest knowing your not on your own and others are going through or have been through the same. xx

• Posted

I've been the same constantly worrying. I felt shocking when I increased the dose to 40mg, my anxiety was higher than it had ever been. Have you not had any side effects from increasing? I cant wait to feel better, its so hard trying to work and look after my children when I feel like this x

• Posted

No i've not had any as of yet, but i've been on 20mg for 5 months and only gone up to 30mg, so hoping i won't get any with just a slight increase as my side effects were so horrid in the first few weeks and my anxiety was sky high!!

I feel your pain on the job/kid front, i'm in the same position and its a nightmare trying to cope with everything which only makes things worse, its such a vicious cycle isn't it!!

I just need my mood to improve now, but at least my anxiety has finally gone so the tablets must be doing something!! xx

• Posted

Yes I really struggled with the side effects starting the tablets and it was reading this forum that made me stick with it. Its crazy how medication to stop anxiety can make it so much worse at first. I hope the increased dose works for you, let me know how you get on x

• Posted

It made me so much worse too and i nearly gave up taking them,

I'll let you know if any side effects kick in (fingers crossed they don't)

keep in touch, its good to chat ☺ xx

• Posted

hello kay i see uve been chatting to lindsey and i agree with everything u say about the meds we have been struggling for a while u get very down hearted when u want some thing to work so u can feel happy and normal and get back in the real world which people who dont have our problems dont understand thats why this forum is a help to us all we try and give a boost when needed hope u find it helps a bit cos we are all in this predicement together.keep it touch and let us know how ure getting on.xxx

• Posted

Hiya, I actually feel abit better today. I think going back to 20mg was definitely the right thing to do. This is all new to me, up until last summer I didn't know what a panic attack was and then I began having them daily. Its been really awful but hopefully it will start getting better when ive settled on this dose x

• Posted

hiya, how are you both doing? I have had a few hours at a time when I feel good but then back to really down. Im hoping this is the start of me getting better x

• Posted

hello, just reading the messages here. It is so nice to support each other. I really think doctors don't understand what the meds do. When it's negative the doctor thinks it is me and when it is positive she thinks it is the meds (doesn't really help my confidence). For instance my heart rate went up like crazy. She thought it was due to my anxiety (starting the meds and raising the meds just made my heartrate go up for about a week and then back down again). The meds really increased my anxiety times 10. It was a big shock and made me really depressed. It was very hard getting through the day. I really feel like I have been given a second chance in life (now that I feel okay again). I really want to try and be a better person for myself and my children. Enjoying the little things and not being so harsh on myself.

As soon as my anxiety went down I tried to keep my mood up by doing things. I started doing sports and went out to see friends. Also I kept a positive log book, writing down everything that was going well. This is helping me to get well and to feel better about myself and my situation. Take care all of you! Hope you all feel better soon.

• Posted

hiya, yes the meds definitely increased my anxiety and my mood plummeted when I first started them. I'm having hours in the day where I feel almost normal but then back to feeling bad. Its a good sign. what dose and length of time are you on with the meds x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.