Advice on bunions

Posted , 9 users are following.

I really need some consolation! I've just moved to a new country away from all my family and friends and I went to buy some news shoes which ended up hurting my big toe. Turns out it developed into a bunion within the space of a few weeks. Then out of sympathy, my other foot developed a bunion too! My feet were hurting chronically, probably because of how quickly they developed. I had immediately started wearing better, more supportive shoes but it didn't seem to make a difference. I consider myself an active person and all of a sudden, doing anything physical that I usually enjoyed hurt and became uncomfortable. I went to a podiatrist and he told me I needed to stop exercising to let my feet rest. I couldn't help but burst out crying in the chair. Going shoe shopping isn't much better, any shoe I put my foot into instantly hurts. I get anxious before going out with friends because I struggle to match my shoes to my outfit - I mean you can't wear trainers everywhere. I know its a terribly vain thing to be so concerned about, but it seriously affects my confidence. I usually love to go out dancing and now I find myself worried about how much my feet will hurt. What worries me the most is that I'm only 25 and now I have the rest of my life to look forward to this awful progressive condition which will continue to worsen and affect me every day for the rest of my life. I know this sounds ridiculously dramatic but it's all very new to me and I'm still coming to terms with having bunions. I suppose I'm just looking for some words of wisdom as to how to move forward and become a person who doesn't let this rule me. Any advice or comments welcome. Even if it's to tell me to pull my finger out and get over myself, which is probably something I need to hear, I would appreciate it.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jessy I know what you mean! Im a bloke and I am absolutely gutted to not be able to wear shoes that I like the style. At the end of the day it is just about adapting to change and maybe finding a balance between style and foot health. The whol;e foot issue is a nightmare. What about trying orthotics?

• Posted

Jess , sorry to hear about your state . In the interim try shoes in a wide width to see if that helps. Not sure where you are but US and Canada have Payless Shoes where this option is available .

If you are in pain did you talk to your doctor about having them removed ? I just had 2 removed this past week and I too will be unable to exercise for at least 3 months except for biking and swimming (low impact ). When that can start i still do n't know . You should inquire about low /no impact exercise as opposed to just doing nothing.

Feel for you. It's not fun

• Posted

since I have gone through bunion surgery removal there would not have surgery just for cosmetic reasons but after trying shoes and a whiter we're trying other things like inserts or if your feet really do truly hurt I would definitely talk to your doctor about surgery options they will take x-rays of your feet and discuss with you what type of surgery is best for your feet recovery time depends on what type of surgery you have if its weight bearing or non weight bearing and how long you'll be out of work some doctors will even do both feet at once my doctor however would not do both at once and I'm having each foot down 6 weeks apart I will be out of work for total 12 weeks best wishes keep.us posted
  • Posted

Hi!! I just got surgery on my left foot in March and then Surgery on my right foot in April. Bunions are very progressive and most people wait until they are in their 60s to take care of them! I'm 27 years old and SO glad I got the surgery done young! I don't see how this happened in a day??? I had them since I was little and took years for mine to start to ache and ache until I couldn't stand it anymore. It was also very embarrassing for me! I couldn't fit into any sandals!!! Only huge shoes and if I did find sandals that fit my feet were so ugly in them I wouldn't buy them anyways. The only way to fix the problem is surgery. Just get one foot done at a time or there is no way you will be able to walk!! Lol. Good luck!! smile
    • Posted

How was it getting your feet done so close togeather were you able to bare weight on the first foot without pain when you had the second one done
    • Posted

For me it was exactly 1 month and 4 days apart. It was perfect!! It hurt a little bearing weight but after knowing what the first one was I wasn't going to let the second one keep me down so much! Lol. I'm 2 and 3 months out on both feet and they're fine!!! Getting better every day. Don't wait until you're older to get the surgery. Do it while you're still young!
    • Posted

Also I went running in the park yesterday!! Everything is great. 
    • Posted

I had my right foot done on friday and left will be done in july your the first person i have dpoken to who has had them spaced like that everyone else has had both done at same time or momths apart
    • Posted

Oh that's cool!!! It's weird because right now (I know your pain....it's a awkward pain!!) it will hurt and you feel the strange position the bone is in... and you're probably babying your foot to pieces... then soon at the two week stage you'll find yourself becoming more independent....then at three weeks you'll find yourself too lazy to put on the boot here and there and by the one month stage you will be walking around with your socks everywhere but sometimes in the boot...sometimes in whatever will fit..but it's painful still! Then you'll get your left foot done and you'll be in the same situation again! (I did my left first because it angled more out) my left hurt a whole lot worse than my right!!! maybe because it was my first surgery but it's still picky until this day.... almost 3 months later. Trust me in the long run you will LOVE that you are doing them a month apart and not like 3 or 4.... To do that twice within that long of a time span would suck looking back at it and thinking you could of already been done with both 3 or 4 months ago. Good luck hon!! 
    • Posted

Oh and when I said "it's painful still" I meant like it's not bad...it only hurts to put on shoes because your feet are still swollen but at 1 month and 2 weeks you will definitely be able to wear Nikes or Sandals or something that don't bother you.
  • Posted

I understand your pain (literally). There's really no easy answer for you. I've had bunions my entire life (I'm 23 now) and it kind of sucks. For me, I mostly just got used to them. I smiled through the pain, so speak. Looking back, this is probably not the best strategy because I now have had surgery to correct one of my bunions, partially because I just ignored them and did not take care of my feet. So please don't just grin through the pain.

I would try to maybe go to another podiatrist that is more sympathetic to you and is more thorough in giving you options to help you. I know that there are spacers, orthotics, and certain wide shoes that a podiatrist can recommend for you to help ease the pain and possibly slow the progression.

I will say, I've never heard of someone forming bunions as quickly as you though. That might be something else to look into with a new podiatrist.

I know it can cause a lot of anxiety to realize something's 'not right' with your body, but keep in mind bunions are very common! There are many people who, once making some changes, are perfectly happy with bunions. My mom has had hers for 60+ years and she's managed with them. If that's not an option for you, there is always the surgical method, but I wouldn't think too much about that right now.

We're all here to support you if you need it!

• Posted

Thanks clairegen, bunions are certainly horrible things. It is nice to know I'm not the only one in my 20s with them. After experiencing this for only 5 months, I feel so sorry that this has been something you have been living with your entire life. 

For me, I've never had anything wrong with my body, or anything that is wrong, it's fixable. But bunions don't have an easy fix and as silly as it sounds, it's taken some time to adjust to doing things a little bit differently. Funny how such a small thing can change your lifestyle.

And I agree with your comment of not just grinning through the pain. It isn't worth it in the long run. I'm trying to go with the theory that if the shoes hurt my feet at all, I don't wear them. Trouble with that being that finding comfortable, supportive and semi-decent stylish shoes is tricky enough without putting into the mix that shoe stores in britain rarely stock sizes over a 7 and I'm an 8. Apparently life wasn't meant to be easy. But thank you for your kind comments, seriously appreciate it!   

• Posted

Bunions don't develop as quickly as you describe my dear.

The most likely probability is quite simply that your shoes were ill fitting and this has caused your feet to hurt.

However, if you are still convinced that you have bunions you need to get a professional diagnosis from a doctor and not rest on the fact that you THINK you have bunions.

I have never heard of such a thing!

Those of us who actually do have and have had surgery for bunions will probably agree with everything I have just saiud to you and the fact that you have discovered this discomfort since buying new shoes is a very clear indication that it's the shoe that are at fault rather than your feet., If you really do have bunions then, you would have pain/discomfort regardless of what you wear on your feet or find that certain pairs of shoes cause more discomfort than others. If you really do have bunions then believe me you will definitely know about it.. You also mention your age. It is very possible for people of all ages to suffer from bunions whether paindful or painless ones. But, they don't just happen in the space of a few weeks as you describe. Absolutely not!.

And yes! In my view you are really one big drama queen. If you burst out crying when told to rest your feet what on earth will you be like if you really do have bunions and need surgery and have to cvope with the many, many months following the surgery ( and I do mean many, many months) whilst your recover from the surgery and your feet heal. You'll probably be suicidal!

Really, my dear, you need to get things into proportion and stop all this high level drama.

By now, having read my comments, you'll be hysterical at my 'cruelty' but, believe me, what I have just written is total and utter honest remarks for your ultimate benefit.

Please get your feet examined.

Good luck!

Gillian.

• Posted

I feel for you sad

I have had issues with my feet my whole life and at age 17 I had bunion surgery on my left foot to correct a moderate bunion.

I would advice you to talk to your doctor if you are in pain, it isn't anything that will magically correct it self. My doctors tried to correct it with conservative methods for a few years and nothing helped. When it got to a certain point, it worsen very quickly.

Sadly for me, surgery have done little to help against pain and being able to wear shoes. So I have waved goodbye to high heels and even normal flats are a challenge to use, trainers are the only type of shoes I am more or less pain free in (until I try to run).

• Posted

Hi everyone, thank you all for your supportive and constructive comments. After reading them it is a consolation that the challenges I am finding are common with many people who have bunions. As this is so new to me, I am still working out how best to deal with it and it's nice to know there are some lovely people out there happy to give advice, so thank you! 

I can certainly appreciate those people who made sceptical remarks about the time frame in which I described. Information that I left out was the fact that I am an Australian who has moved over to live in the UK. I have never previously experienced any problems with my feet whilst in Australia, it was only when I came over to the UK in January that it started. I can't explain to any of you why it is or how it is such a rapid onset. Even the podiatrist I went to was surprised, however the thing to consider is that I am in the early stages of bunions. While the actual appearance of my feet have changed minimally, the pain is certainly real, as is the diagnosis. Some of you have suggested getting a second opinion, and I am starting to look into what other podiatrists are in my area. If anything interesting comes up, I will share it. 

I hope all those who responded who have recently had surgery are continuing their road to recovery. 

• Posted

Hi im lil bit over 1 week post op on my right foot dr was happy with how mu foot looks and i have almost no pain I go in on the 19th to have my left foot done I work in a manufacturing company and walk on concrete floors all day long 10 hours a day I've had one in my whole entire lifebut they've gotten progressively worse over the last year or so to the point where I can barely walk I I ha corns on the sides of my feet from walking on the sides of my feet because I cannot walk flat heel to toe so Brian can progress fairly quickly but like I said I've had one in my whole entire but my 12 year old daughter has a small bunion on her right foot and a larger bunion on her left foot as soon as she's old enough to get a doctor to do bunion surgery I'm going to have it done I don't want her go through the pain that I've gone I don't bunions can be hereditary but they also say from wearing poor fitting shoes getting a second opinion would not be a bad thing what have you tried wider shoes special shoes inserts they sell special things that cushion your bunions and take pressure off them so they don't hurt so bad just want to try other things before doing surgery good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.