Advice on bunions

Posted , 9 users are following.

I really need some consolation! I've just moved to a new country away from all my family and friends and I went to buy some news shoes which ended up hurting my big toe. Turns out it developed into a bunion within the space of a few weeks. Then out of sympathy, my other foot developed a bunion too! My feet were hurting chronically, probably because of how quickly they developed. I had immediately started wearing better, more supportive shoes but it didn't seem to make a difference. I consider myself an active person and all of a sudden, doing anything physical that I usually enjoyed hurt and became uncomfortable. I went to a podiatrist and he told me I needed to stop exercising to let my feet rest. I couldn't help but burst out crying in the chair. Going shoe shopping isn't much better, any shoe I put my foot into instantly hurts. I get anxious before going out with friends because I struggle to match my shoes to my outfit - I mean you can't wear trainers everywhere. I know its a terribly vain thing to be so concerned about, but it seriously affects my confidence. I usually love to go out dancing and now I find myself worried about how much my feet will hurt. What worries me the most is that I'm only 25 and now I have the rest of my life to look forward to this awful progressive condition which will continue to worsen and affect me every day for the rest of my life. I know this sounds ridiculously dramatic but it's all very new to me and I'm still coming to terms with having bunions. I suppose I'm just looking for some words of wisdom as to how to move forward and become a person who doesn't let this rule me. Any advice or comments welcome. Even if it's to tell me to pull my finger out and get over myself, which is probably something I need to hear, I would appreciate it.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Volleyball Jess, I just have to say--everytime I talk to my Dr. about recovery times she mentions the volleyball player patient! Back to playing volleyball at 12 weeks post-op! I think you have an advantage!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.