Advice on preparing for a TKR?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello there, I am having a TKR in 4 weeks time, and wondered if anyone has advice on how to prepare for it - I have read lots about the operation itself, pain and physio afterwards etc.  Getting quite apprehensive and wonder whether I should be trying to strengthen my muscles beforehand. Thank you!

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Susie, four weeks is ample time to build up. Concentrate on strengthening the quads and follow those on the exercise list. It helped me a lot in just getting around better prior to surgery. Also , if you need, dropping a few pounds can't hurt either. Positive attitude and good advice from all here. 

• Posted

Thank you Melinda. Will do, I think I will feel better doing something as well rather than just waiting and worrying. Best regards Susie
    • Posted

Everyone is spot on with the advice about ice, elevating and taking the appropriate pain medication as prescribed. There are several simple exercises that can be done to strengthen the quads,etc. I found them on line, and can easily be done at home. I now wish I had been more vigilant with them prior to my surgery. I had about 5 weeks to prepare. You are far ahead of me, though, as you are already aware of this forum. I did not make this discovery until I was about 8 weeks post op. The sharing here is priceless!
    • Posted

Thank you, and so glad I found the forum, I think it will transform how I get through this!
  • Posted

Hi, Susie! I have a few things to share with you that I hope will help.

In my pre-surgery visit with my surgeon he gave me a lot of great information to read which included exercises to do prior to surgery, a list of food to eat to increase iron levels, and what to expect throughout the process.  

My husband and I also attended a class which my surgeon's ortho group requires all patients to attend.  The class covered a wide range of information, from what to expect during the surgery (anesthesia, hospital stay) to scheduling therapy. We also met with the therapist prior to surgery to discuss what to expect during therapy.  The one thing I did not have a good understanding on was that the surgeon's expectation was for me to achieve 110 degrees flexion and 0 degree extension within 2-4 weeks post op.  To be honest, even though I read all the material given to me and followed all instructions, I did not really understand what this meant and how difficult it would be for me to meet this goal.  I am 7 weeks post and now measure 102-104, which the surgeon is not pleased with.  After reading so many other stories, this apparently is an area that those in the ortho knee business just can't seem to agree with.  So, with that said, I would say to you just make sure you understand what your surgeon's expectation is, and do what you can to stretch your leg muscles and strengthen them prior to surgery.  Now, I did the exercises as I was instructed to pre and I still meet with my physical therapist several times a week, continuing to do my exercises 2-3 times a day.  I believe this will help me get to 110, I hope sooner than later as I do not want to go under anesthesia to stretch the muscles as my surgeon wants to do.

Lastly, I believe that my spiritual and mental state has greatly helped me through this .. I am 61 and have been blessed with good health.  I must say the surgery with all the drugs was hard on me.  I have not had to take drugs even close to this since I gave birth to my kids. Anyway, the surgeon recommended a book called Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston. Reading and following the author's advice in this book was one of the best things I did to prepare.  It is a guide to mind-body techniques.  It is available on Amazon.

I truly wish you well.  I am sure you will do fine.  The folks on this blog are the greatest.

Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Great support for Susie well done.

I am just about 7 weeks PO too.

I am 56 and Thank God like you blessed with pretty good health.

Last Wednesday my flexion was measured at 96 and physio was happy. Last Tuesday I had my 6 week review with my excellent surgeon, he didn't measure but was very happy.

Both sets of input was 'it will come at your own pace'. No pressure.

Interesting the different approaches.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Good morning Carol, thank you so much for taking the time to explain so much.  I have ordered the book.  I'm 61 too, and have needed this TKR since the age of 35 following a skiing accident at 17 - so long awaited.  I decided years ago to try and come off painkillers as they were doing me no good, so I am used to pain but the surgeon said it will be much worse! I found the forum because I felt unprepared, although the surgeon explained in great detail the procedure itself and what my part of the deal would be .... i.e. do my exercises!  Interesting that the surgeons can't seem to agree on expectations on flexion/extension, etc.  The expectations placed on you sound harsh, and speaking for myself I won't respond well to 'this isn't good enough' and am much more likely to work harder if i'm told I'm doing well.

I am used to lots of drugs as I am on a very aggressive to control type 2 diabetes - and can honestly say I fee healthier than for the last 20 odd years, so I am looking forward to getting through this and being able to move and do more.

Thank you again

Susie

• Posted

Hi Sussie

One thing to watch out for once your back up on your feet is siatica on the opposite side. I was not prepared for this but I went back on the forum and was given some great advice. This happened 14 weeks post op when I went back to work. Just be aware for me it was a minor set back but I'm OK now coming up 5 months.The ice pack will be godsend for you after surgery use it as often as you like especially after your exercises. Do these 3-4 times daily. It will benefit you in the long run.

Once again I wish you luck.

• Posted

Hi Kim, Good advice

Is it possible you could tell us more about the Sciatica.

I am 7 weeks PO and when standing do get a pain in my left hip / leg. Particularly when using one crutch or no critch to stand.

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Don't want to be negative but the pain was unbearable I could hardly walk. Pain from my hip down to my foot such a dull ache. Could not put pressure on it at all. My knee replacement leg was rearing to go but the other one was having non of it. Took 3 weeks for any improvement. Thank God it's a whole lot better now. It's because the other leg was compensating for the operated one and the posture is poor. Everything needed lining up again. The forum friend were brilliant with all there advice.. I was suprised to hear that so many suffered this after having the knee replacement op. Try to keep your body in line and strengthen those muscles around the knee. Physio plays a major role in the recovery so even when in pain don't give up. Don't be to tough on yourself either listen to your body.

Good luck😊😊😊

• Posted

Thanks Kim.

I will take your advice on board big time.

I am glad it is better now and hopefully stays that way. Please God.

I am very aware of back pain from the past. Also I carry a bit of weight so the risk may be increased.

Thank You soso much for your advice I will do my best.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Yes, most definitely, you should be strengthening your legs!!! Both of them, as you will need all the strength you can muster after your TKR. You will have one bum leg and one good leg along with a walker, cane or crutches.  My surgeon had me do 6 weeks of PT prior to my TKR. I'm so glad he ordered the PT beforehand.
    • Posted

Hi, thank you.  I'm a bit concerned my surgeon never mentioned any kind of preparation, but I am going to work on my legs now I've found this forum!

• Posted

Ho Susie,

My d urge on ju d t mentioned it casually.

I wouldn't bee too concerned

Surgeons care usually extremely confident people who believe they can fix almost anything put in front of them.

He might also see it as the physios job to mention the pre-op exercise

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Sorry should read:

My surgeon just mentioned it casually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.