Advice on preparing for a TKR?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello there, I am having a TKR in 4 weeks time, and wondered if anyone has advice on how to prepare for it - I have read lots about the operation itself, pain and physio afterwards etc.  Getting quite apprehensive and wonder whether I should be trying to strengthen my muscles beforehand. Thank you!

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op, I did the physio exercises for a number of months before and cycled 3 to 4 miles about 4 times a week for a number of months before, I don't know if it helped by my physio says I have good muscle tone in my legs, you still have 4 weeks so enough time to strengthen your muscles. I am still having good days, when I then overdo it and bad days when I overdid it on the good day, I find it quite hard to get a good balance. However I can see a significant improvement over the last 4 weeks, the exercises are becoming easier, I walk a bit further each day, I found it hard to sleep the first 2 to 3 weeks but that improved once I was able to sleep on my side. As everyone says it's important to keep up with the pain meds, the elevation and icing, which is what gets you through the first few weeks, along with the fantastic support you will get on here. wishing you all the best.
    • Posted

Thank you Sandra.  That sounds really positive and I will try to strengthen my quads before the op.  I am really encouraged that you can sleep on your side already, another thing i am dreading is sleeping on my back, although it sounds like people don't get much sleep anyway!  Definitely will follow your advice and others about pain meds, the elevation and icing.Feel better already having these responses. wishing you a continuing good improvement.
    • Posted

the physio told me I could sleep on my side as soon as I wanted, but it's only recently I was comfortable, I hate sleeping on my back, but she also told me to try a pillow under my leg long ways from knee down to foot, it's important your leg is straight so don't put a pillow under just your knee. Also when lying on your side put a pillow between your legs which then protects your operated knee.
  • Posted

Very important to start exercising now. Strengthen your legs as much as possible. The stronger they are the better the recovery. GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING! !! Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I'm almost 7 weeks post op.

My surgeon recommended to do muscle strengthening exercises. He recommended the post op exercises. I'm not sure if you are familiar with them, but if you look them up on the Internet you'll find them.

This site is great, the people from all over the world will give you great support and advice.

Hope this helps, welcome & take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you so much Alan, I do feel better already with all this support, rather than apprehensive.  I think I will try the post op exercises in this pre op period - makes sense and hopefully will build good habits for afterwards when they will be hard to do! Thank you for replying and hope you are well

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I did some 8 weeks (prior to my partial knee replacement) with a sports injury massage therapist with her working at strengthening my various leg muscles with the objective of getting my leg as strong as possible prior to surgery.

Post op, I continued this treatment but more with the focus on massaging the incision scar with the objective of making the scarring as supple as possible, in addition to rubbing in Aloe Vera Gel. The point being to try and avoid scar tissue forming which would prevent a reasonably quick and sistained recovery.

Hope that helps - good luck.

John

• Posted

I worked on my  thigh muscles. I peddled the bike as often as I could. Do some straight leg raises. Good luck to your journey
  • Posted

Hi Susie,  I wasn't told to do anything before hand but one of the physios I saw after told me when I get the other one it would be helpful to strngthen the quads andcalf muscles.

​One thing I did get was a large ice pack inside a sleeve. It came with two ice packs so one on and one in freezer. I got it from amazon and would highly reccommend it. Good luck with your op.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I am 6wks post surgery. I totally agree with my Forum friends: ice, elevate, medicate. Listen ti your body. Don't rush your recovery. Exercise often and don't allow the rest to make u sir crazy.

Get some great movies, books and have good foods to eat during your recovery. You will be better than ever sooner than you think.

Take care & God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.