Advice pleas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im currently on 112mg of venlafaxine. Its a powerful psycho active drug so any gp who prescribes it shd warn users of the severe withdrawal if they miss 1 tablet esp. Xr. Users have to b told they will have to stick to a very strict medicine regime. Im pretty chaotic part of my personality and i can miss so a better 1 4 me wd b.ones that stay in system longer to avoid the evil withdrawal

Im thinking of coming off 4 good in fact im coming off them 4 good as the side effects. My hair over the last few years totally awful thin n wiry totally changed texture and i feel withdrawn not anxious in fact just no motivAtion. Im currently on 112. How do u do the 10% taper? Don't u just cut it by 37.5.. E.g i.start taking 75 from 112? Help. Im aware of the wirhdrawal and the brain has to get used to sode

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am told you come off it very slowly. No larger drops than 37.5 each time and stay at each new dose for a month. Talk to a doctor about going off , I think some people bridge going off with a low dose another antidepressant with a longer half life. 
  • Posted

Hi

I've been taking Venlafaxine for 16 yrs. Was prescribed it during a period of anxiety and stress at work. It certainly got me through a bad period and was able to function, otherwise would almost surely have been destined to staying home and being a social outcast! However ..I'm now on my way to being off all together. I'm retiring now so my stress levels will be much less hopefully. From originally 150mg a day I'm now only taking a tiny fraction of a 37.5mg I gave myself 6 months as I was very aware of the withdrawal symptoms even from forgetting a dose! I also decided I would up the dose slightly if withdrawal kicked in. Eventually the dose has become so small I'M probably taking about 5 mg if not less..I have to crush the tablet and take with milk and only when I experience the symptoms of head buzz and slight nausea do I take it. I keep a small amount of the crushed tablet in a clean glass in my kitchen when it's required!! My mood is good so I know it was only the fear of withdrawal that stopped me wanting to come off them. I'm a Nurse and have worked in a stressful environment so I can't say they haven't helped me but I wouldn't take them again or recommend them to anyone purely because of the withdrawal! So if you are wanting to come off....give yourself a good amount of time...months, not weeks. Reduce the dose by half at 3-4 weekly intervals Don't be hard on yourself and take a small dose if the withdrawal kicks in..sometimes a painkiller can help. Get lots of good quality sleep and take exercise. Good luck..I will post again when I'm off completely...hope this will help!! Sue ;-))) x

• Posted

I have been on venlaflaxine for about 9 months.150mg twice a day. I visited my GP last Wednesday and stopped them completely assuring me I would have no side effects as he gave me prozac. How wrong could he be. I have been throuh a week of hell. He has now put me on librium and am still going through the brain zaps. Crying then anger. Vomiting etc. Don't know how much more I can take. Any advise.?

• Posted

You were told just to Stop!! ?? I feel like swearing!!! I'd have got back to you sooner but had probs with Emails etc.. hope you are ok!! You have to come off slowly...GPs and other Doc's don't understand the withdrawal from this drug.. I had to reduce dose because the supply ran out...long story.. but..I can't wait to get off it completely!! It may suit a lot of folk..but.. I have personal opinions about this drug.. doesn't suit Me.. and I can't Stress enough..how Awful withdrawal can be ! Let me know how you are please..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.