Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

How do I get my doctor to consider a diagnosis of ME :?:

We actually have some transport again now so I have an appointment to see my GP next week to plead my case but I am worrying about how to do it.

I have constantly told him about my loooong list of aches, pains, chills, brain fog and frequent bouts of exhaustion and so far he has stuck with prescribing antidepressants and yet more blood tests for thyroid, anaemia etc, etc :vampire:

Does anyone have any advice please on the best way to plead my case?

Do I ask him outright for a referral ....... I am worried he might think I am telling him how to do his job ....... or do I bombard him with yet another long list of ailments and hope he takes the hint :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's not that I actually WANT to have [b:98b213e9bf]ME[/b:98b213e9bf] but I am desperate to know why I feel the way I do before I lose what little sanity I have left :?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received :D

Kind regards and hope you all have a good weekend

Kristal

xx

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Katie

Must admit, I feel a bit [i:7e7d6d97fd]sledge-hammered[/i:7e7d6d97fd] today (if there is such a word), legs like lead, whole body achey and brain fuddled but I have my list to finish compiling so I will have to push on.

Hubby has volunteered to accompany me for moral support and I think I might take him up on his offer :?

I hope you are feeling OK.

Kristal

xx

• Posted

i think it's a really good idea to take your hubby, and to see your doctor on a bad day. in my experience you've got to tell them what you're like on your worst day before they take you seriously.

i really do hope you get some kind of diagnosis or referral kristal.

fingers crossed

Trees x

• Posted

Thanks Trees

I must admit that I am a bit nervous about the meeting, probably because I feel it is so important to me and I am worried that I won't put my point across properly and make him understand me.

Sat down last night and had a long chat with hubby about it all and we realised that I have been having loads of the symptoms for a couple of years now but because my doctor has been telling me that everything is linked to depression I have been trying to trudge on through but I feel I need to know more now ..... so I am determined to put my foot down with a firm hand :lol: ...... and if he really doesn't want to listen then I will have to change doctors.

Phew, I am worn out now just thinking about it all smile

Kristal

xx

• Posted

Good Luck for tomorrow Kristal. At least you have a supportive husband :P

Isn't sledge-hammer a song by Peter Gabriel? Am I showing my age too much?!

Dale xxx

• Posted

Hi again Kristal

Yes, that's really great that your husband will be there for you - just so that he can reinforce what you are saying if need be ........

Sometimes when I have been trying to put over my problems I have ended up :wah: and feeling all sorry for myself - so it will be good to have some support.

ME really does heighten the emotions :roll:

Will be thinking of you.

Katie :hug:

• Posted

Thanks Dale ...... I'm going around singing 'Sledge-Hammer' now ...... :roll:

Not sure it was by Peter Gabriel though :?:

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow Kristal, it is a great idea if your husband goes with you.
  • Posted

I am depressed :cry:

Just spent an hour with my doctor and guess what he said ..... I am depressed sad

I tried really hard to be prepared, I presented him with a list of ME symptoms and told him that it described me to a tee and explained how symptoms had got progressively worse over the couple of years he has been seeing me (even though I have already told him that before) and he just kept nodding and telling me that I am depressed sad

Even my hubby chipped in when he could see that I wasn't getting anywhere but it seems I have one of those doctors who doesn't really [i:fadb819067]get[/i:fadb819067] ME and just thinks it is a vague list of problems that are all caused by, guess what ..... depression, grrrrrrr.

I explained my concerns about the aches & pains and in particular the extreme dental pain I now get when having any treatment and once again he nodded sweetly and explained that it was caused by depression :evil:

:bleep: :bleep: :bleep: :bleep: :bleep: :bleep:

His parting shot was to remind me that he had other patients waiting to see him and suggest I go back in 2 weeks time to discuss whether I want to pursue the ME route or accept that I am depressed :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry, think I should have used the Punchbag thread for this.

Phew, I am exhausted now.

Hope you are all having a good day

Kristal

xx

• Posted

Sorry you had such a bad time at the doctors. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Is there a different doctor in the practice you could see? If not is there another practice near by you could change too? It is so :bleep: annoying but unfortunaly is is a mountain many suffers have to face. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Posted

Kristal I feel so angry for you, I want to come and shake your GP by the shoulders - how patronising he is. :steam:

This is what I had to put up with for 2 and a half years and why I decided to pay for a consultation at the National ME Centre.

When I went to the NMEC Dr Mitchell completed a questionnaire for depression. If you are depressed you will score 11 or more depending on the severity and I scored 7. He wrote to my GP in no uncertain terms and advised all medication for depresion to be stopped as it was like a Band Aid that had lost its sticky - useless.

You will get help, but this GP is wasting such a lot of time when you could be getting treatment. Please consider getting another opinion.

• Posted

Can I suggest you contact the M.E. Association for help?
  • Posted

oh kristal definitely change doctors - he's just not getting it, is he?

Trees x

• Posted

He'll get it if I see him - right on the nose :grrr:
  • Posted

haha! :lol: let's all go round and give him a piece of our collective mind. we could pretend he's our punch bag forum!

kristal, tell you GP to watch out - you're sending the girl round :grrr:

Trees x

• Posted

oh i just messed up my own punch line!

that was supposed to be YOU'RE sending the GIRLS round.

oh dear. that's exactly what im like telling jokes in real life :oops:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.