Advice please

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am in need of help and advice. 

I think I am in the early stages of Perimenopause and I am really struggling with it all. I am having real trouble sleeping and just feel overwhelmed by it all. I do suffer with mild depression and anxiety but this has knocked me for 6. I find myself crying at silly things and unable to motivate myself to move forward. I am 49 and none of my friends have gone through this yet. Please help!!!

4 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

many of us going thru the same thing. myself particularly. Hang in there. i set a discussion on forum here called menopause insomnia. You could have a look at that. It's a work in progress at the moment for me. The ladies here very supportive though and i'm sure we'll give you their own tips. for me what helps is a collection of vitamin and mineral mixtures. Very low dose mirtazapine. Change in diet. Well being careful with same anyway and working through herbal options as mainstream meds and have not helped. They may help you tho. I'm 3 and a half years into it now. Perimenopause that is. i've seen the ladies here recommend magnesium and b complex vitamins. The things i've tried have been short lived sadly and taking a long time and quite a bit of money to try out.
    • Posted

Hi I really appreciate your kind words. How do I find your forum?? Sorry new to all this!!
    • Posted

hi no worries. I just googled it as menopause insomnia and it came up in the google results date is 9 september 2014 x 
  • Posted

Hi screwloose

sounds like peri type symptoms..

get some supplements to help you..

B6 and B12 we lack those during this time..

treat yourself to a Mega B 100 complex with at least 100mg B6 in it ..

also when i was in peri i took rain forest Maca Capsules too, these help symptoms..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi JJ may look into the maca again myself. Hope you ok xx 
    • Posted

hi hun

i am fine thanks, never felt better .. 😊  all good..

Root canal aches a little, had that done at lunch time today, but can live with that for a coupla days 😃

Other than that i havent felt this good in years.. all good 😊

hope your ok too 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi

mine is the rainforest maca 5.1 capsules.. Off amazon uk..

also i started taking Vit E capsules a few weeks ago too ..

wow ... They are so good for you

jay xx

• Posted

vit E capsules 

Vitamin E

This is an important vitamin to consider at the menopause.

Over many years clinical studies have shown its effect on reducing hot flushes.

Vitamin E is also helpful for vaginal dryness and one study showed that just 400iu taken daily for between 1 and 4 months helped 50 percent of the women given supplemental vitamin E.

Although most women fear breast cancer, our biggest killer is heart disease. There is now such a wealth of information on the beneficial effects of nutrition on heart disease and unfortunately HRT has been shown to increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

A study published in the Lancet showed that 2000 patients with arteriosclerosis (fatty deposits in the arteries) had a 75 percent reduction in their risk of heart attack when given vitamin E.

At the time, researchers claimed that vitamin E was even more effective than aspirin in reducing heart attacks. 

• Posted

Glad to hear. Answered prayers. I love the good days!! Sounds like you doing really well. Apart from root canals oucheeee. I'm ok. Poorly but still positive. 
    • Posted

hi hun

one day at a time, go with the symptoms, remember its not an illness, or depression, just a transition ... A journey ... We all deal with it different, mine was a long journey of almost 10 years. But i feel liberated and proud of it .. Supplemented with the Vits etc and seemed to find the right ones for me..

still 50 and just post menopause ... 

hang in there Jay xx

• Posted

Hi JJ! Can you tell me exactly what B12 to bye I am already on 100mg of b6 for 4 weeks now and want to but B12 but so many to choose from and how much to take on a daily basis pls xx😘
    • Posted

Hi Trevis 

Re: B12 .. yes there are a few out there..

get the highest mcg ... ( 5000mcg) one a day..

they can be chewable / dissolve in mouth this are the best type as absorbed easily ...  what you dont need in B12 is passed out body... 

Jarrows B12 5000 mcg ( red label cherry flavour) for example ..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay you are very knowledgable indeed. Have taken B vita and just got Magnesium citrate, but just realised there are different types.  Is this a good one. Natures Best btw.x
    • Posted

Am struggling with insomnia and very low mood.

• Posted

Hi Kingliz

yes theres different sorts ... magnesium citrate has laxative properties so may upset your stomach / loose stools..

i have the magnesium oil spray.

and solgar chaleted magnesium

jay xx

• Posted

useful magnesium  info .... 

i take Solgar Chaleted ( Bisglycinate) Magnesium

Magnesium bisglycinate is an essential mineral needed for more than 300 enzymatic reactions in the body.

This mineral is required for the formation of healthy bones and teeth, protein and fatty acid formation, activating B vitamins, supporting muscle activity, nerve transmission, relaxing blood vessels, clotting blood, temperature regulation and ensuring intestinal mobility also called bowel movements. 

Magnesium bisglycinate is magnesium bound to the amino acid glycine. This binding makes the magnesium highly absorbable.

For example you would have to take 4 times the amount of magnesium citrate to get the equivalent amount of magnesium bisglycinate.

The bisglycinate form of magnesium does not require stomach acid for absorption as it passes into the cell via its amino acid transport which means even those with poor digestion or absorption get the benefits.

Magnesium bisglycinate is the only magnesium shown to cross the blood brain barrier which makes it an excellent choice for aiding those with depression and/or anxiety, or migraine headaches. 

Stress of all types including chemical, emotional, hormonal or physical stress depletes magnesium from the body.

Since magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves, more magnesium is needed when you are under stress.

When we are under stress our adrenal glands produce cortisol which further increases acidity in the body thereby increasing the need for even more magnesium. 

Because magnesium is required in the metabolism of estrogen in the body, low levels of magnesium increases estrogen leading to estrogen dominance. Symptoms of too much estrogen include premenstrual breast and uterine pain, headaches, backaches, premenstrual depression and mood swings. Women on the birth control pill or hormone replacement therapy also become deficient in magnesium as the drugs deplete magnesium.

Anyone with an estrogen dominant condition like endometriosis, PMS, fibroids, ovarian cysts, period problems or breast cysts need magnesium bisglycinate.

Interestingly, many women crave chocolate during their premenstrual and menstrual period. Chocolate is high in magnesium! 

Magnesium deficiency is common due to our consumption of processed foods and the depletion of magnesium from agricultural soils and water.

Magnesium supplementation can help with many conditions from high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat or heart palpitations, to insomnia, anxiety and depression to fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and leg cramps at night or following exercise.

Always make sure when you are purchasing minerals that the label states whether or not the dosage is in its elemental value. This tells you if you are getting exactly what you are paying for. 

Which Magnesium Is Best?

Magnesium oxide and citrates are laxatives causing diarrhea and they are poorly absorbed.

Magnesium bisglycinate is much better absorbed and it does not cause diarrhea.

Magnesium bisglycinate is four times more effective than citrate forms of magnesium

• Posted

Thanks a lot. Very informative. Not opened the magnesium just arrived today.  Wonder what Natures Best exchange policies are? Lol
    • Posted

Thank you jayneejay. You have got the best advice and information. So glad I am on this forum. I am learning soo much!!! Bless you...And thanks for being on this forum....
    • Posted

Hi Maria

i had a 9-10 year natural menopause .. i am age 50 now and post menopause..

i take the supplements that are known that in peri/menopause we lack ..

ie.. Rain forest Maca 5.1 very good in the beginning of peri for me it was.

Vit E.. mentioned above

Solgar Chaleted Magnesium .. mentioned above..

Magnesium Oil Spray..

B6 150mg -  a good mega B100 with 100mg of B6 in it is very beneficial

we lack B6 during this phase..

Natecal.. ( Calcium and Vit D) in one for bone health

Acidophilus probiotic for digestive health

Menapol Plus x 2 daily for peri / meno 

Kelp for thyroid health

B12 - for energy .. ' jarrows B12 5000mcg ' cherry ( red label) 

these have worked well for me personally..

i have tried them for months and months - years..

heres some helpful menopause info off the web .. for new ladies ..

Menopause The menopause is not an illness.

If you subscribe to the standpoint currently held by the conventional medical profession, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was.

Women in many other cultures do not experience the menopause as a crisis demanding medical intervention.

Many of them simply do not suffer the physical and emotional symptoms that women in the West are programmed to accept as inevitable.

In our society the focus of the menopause is one of loss.

Women are programmed to dwell on loss – the loss of periods, the loss of the ability to create life, the loss of hormones, the problems of the ‘empty-nest’ syndrome.

In other societies, this time in a woman’s life is seen as one of gain, a time of great wisdom.

A time when the emphasis shifts away from doing the chores, working in the fields, to the role of lawmaker and counsellor to younger couples, where maturity and experience make a significant and valuable contribution to the family and society.

What happens at the menopause?

At the menopause women literally run out of eggs.

Each woman has a supply of eggs (approximately 2 million) from the moment she is born and over the years they are used up and die off.

She finally reaches a certain age when there simply aren’t any more.

What the body does then to try to get that woman to ovulate is to release the hormone FSH.

This hormone is released every month in a normal cycle but during the menopause, a woman’s body registered that ovulation is not taking place, so even more FSH is pumped out.

The interesting thing is that as the ovaries decline their production of oestrogen, nature has something else up her sleeve.

We are also able to produce a form of oestrogen (called oestrone) from our adrenal glands in order to compensate for the decline from the ovaries.

We also produce oestrogen from fat cells, so being ultra-slim will not have health benefits in the long run, particularly if you are going through menopause.

Overweight isn’t the answer, either, but from an oestrogen-production point of view, you are better off being slightly overweight than slim.

What are the symptoms?

These vary from woman to woman.

Some women sail though the menopause without any symptoms and the only thing they notice is that their periods have stopped.

Some of the women I have seen in my clinic report being completely drenched in sweat day and night, and getting up to change their night clothes two or three times a night, or even taking a shower in the middle of the night.

Symptoms of the menopause can include hot flushes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, mood swings, declining libido, osteoporosis, ageing skin, lack of energy, joint pains, weight gain, headaches and changes in hair quality. Interestingly, men also experience a lot of these symptoms, with irritability, a declining libido, changes in weight, ageing skin and hair, depression and anxiety.

These symptoms are apparently part of the Western ageing process for both men and women, so it’s important not to blame every symptom that you experience on the menopause.

jay xx

• Posted

Jay Thank you for this...I have been taking Maca for a while and it seems to be helpful. I have actually started taking B6 quite a few months ago as I have pain in my hip and B 12 as I do not eat a lot of meat. B6 only 50 mg once a day and B 12 is 1000mcg, which I will up and see what happens, I have been taking Vit D, as well as Calcium Magnesium Citrate with additional Vit D. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada and we  have Harmonic Arts a botanical dispensary, that is where I get my Maca powder from. Interesting information on menopause. Thank you again..learning so muchl
    • Posted

Jay, I've been searching all the discussions to try and find your advice about Vitamin E and have found it here, thank you. Just to confirm though, I got mine from Holland & Barrett and on the bottle, it says E-100 I.U. d-Alpha Form. Does that sound right to you? I'm taking 4 of them per day. Your advice is forever appreciated x
    • Posted

Hi Lara

Mine is Vit E 400iu 😀

Simply supplements

Jay x

• Posted

was just reading this about Vit E

Menopause and Vit E

One of the most important factors to consider is vitamin E. Research has shown that for 50 to 75 percent of women, vitamin E is the most practical and effective treatment for uncomfortable signs of menopause, especially hot flashes, but including nervousness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness and insomnia. Vitamin E contains small amounts of estrogen and is essential for the proper functioning of the blood and for the production of estrogen, which may explain why it helps decrease or eliminate hot flashes.

Vitamin E has the ability to relieve vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. It also enhances oxygen utilization in the body and stimulates immunity against cancer of the cervix, breasts, lungs, skin, digestive tract and rectum, which alone are sufficient reasons to use it.

The preferable formulation is the natural form of vitamin E, the d'alpha-tocopherol type, as this is at least 36 per cent more biologically potent than synthetic E (called dl-alpha). Dr Leslie Packer, a professor of molecular biology at the University of California, states that synthetic E contains only one-eighth the amount of alpha-toco-pherol as natural vitamin E.

When taking vitamin E, start with 200 to 400 IU daily and then gradually increase the dosage to 800 IU; 1,200 IU or 1,600 IU daily. It may take two to six weeks before you notice a difference, so give it time to work.

Many doctors now recommend eliminating caffeine from your diet and taking 800 IU of vitamin E daily to reduce the condition known as fibrocystic breasts. Taking selenium, 200 meg daily, along with the vitamin E may enhance its effect on decreasing breast lumpiness. Another study stated that vitamin E, taken in doses of 100 IU or more a day, reduced heart disease by up to 66 percent.

• Posted

Read with interest, Jay, your piece above, when you say women are conditioned to think of menopause as a loss - loss of eggs, loss of periods, etc - but women in other cultures see it as a time of gain and great wisdom. That's how I feel about it. I can't wait for my 50s !! Who'd have thought, hey?
    • Posted

It says 100% natural on my bottle so I think I've got the right one, from what you said above.
    • Posted

Hi Lara

I read a few things that women find menopause as a loss of reproductivity, 

These are not my words, just stuff i read what others have said.

I also dont find it like that, i just accept it, expected it, ( didnt think mine would begin at age 40 and last ten years) but still accepted it and now aged 50 feel quite liberated 😃

Have a great day 

Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.