Advice please

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am in need of help and advice. 

I think I am in the early stages of Perimenopause and I am really struggling with it all. I am having real trouble sleeping and just feel overwhelmed by it all. I do suffer with mild depression and anxiety but this has knocked me for 6. I find myself crying at silly things and unable to motivate myself to move forward. I am 49 and none of my friends have gone through this yet. Please help!!!

4 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

currently trialling dong quai.
    • Posted

I'm bit like you. Trying all sorts and quite expensive in the process x
    • Posted

i can relate. I just bought in a batch of dong quai, astragalus, dhea, goldenseal and holy basil along with magnesium spray. Phew. Takes time to trial then all too. Have to be careful mixing as well. What have you tried?
    • Posted

Hi Rcharris

and with trialing you have to give them at least three months trial..

so they get established in the body ..

jay xx

• Posted

On HRT Femoston 2 months but not great. Busy B and ordinary B Complex, Magnesium and even Holland and Barratt HTP5. Sleep and confidence awful so getting desperate.
    • Posted

Hi kingliz

didnt realise you were on HRT ..

that will also take a while to kick in ....

i havent had HRT so all the supplements i mention were for natural route..

B6 does however assist absortion of HRT so the busy b's are good to take anyway..

if youve only been on HRT 2 months that will change your mood while you adjust and it all settles..

jay xx

• Posted

i know exactly how you feel. Let's keep posting on here and share stories xx 
    • Posted

Hi rcharris8,

i find these words and advice a great help so yes lets!!

• Posted

Yes sounds good. HRT may only be short term so keeping options open with natural vits too. I already am a jogger, though not too serious and not overweight and if anything, with the bad sleeping am losing weight due to reduced appetite. Need my sleep back big time. Was always 8 hr person.
    • Posted

Like JJ one my supplements or maybe 2 have vit e in. I've tried melatonin and its precursor 5HTP though and neither worked for me though did years ago in night time milk if anyone heard of that. Can't get that now. This time melatonin and 5htp made me itch. Ewwwww. Dong quai and dhea both no joy. Now on the astragalus. If no good have holy basil to try. Anyone used ashwangdra or whatever it is? My friend told me about it. Also saw online. I've also got golden seal to try. I've tried most things here even negative ion bracelet which definitely did something but wasn't a help. I find immune system boosters help sleep. Not fully site why but trialing astragalus for this reason. I sleep when on antibiotics! Sending you love ladies xx
    • Posted

Like JJ one my supplements or maybe 2 have vit e in. I've tried melatonin and its precursor 5HTP though and neither worked for me though did years ago in night time milk if anyone heard of that. Can't get that now. This time melatonin and 5htp made me itch. Ewwwww. Dong quai and dhea both no joy. Now on the astragalus. If no good have holy basil to try. Anyone used ashwangdra or whatever it is? My friend told me about it. Also saw online. I've also got golden seal to try. I've tried most things here even negative ion bracelet which definitely did something but wasn't a help. I find immune system boosters help sleep. Not fully site why but trialing astragalus for this reason. I sleep when on antibiotics! Sending you love ladies xx
  • Posted

Hi screwloose

heres some info about B6 and B12 ( B vits) 

B-Well: Why Women in Perimenopause Need B-Vitamins

Everyone needs B-vitamins for good health. Without them we can suffer from a variety of serious ailments.

For a woman going through perimenopause, B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.   

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause.

B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system.

Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause.

Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem.

Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency.

Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause.

All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency.

Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

B6 at least 100mg daily

( a good mega B 100 complex a good choice ) holland and barrett

B12 Jarrows 5000mcg cherry - red label..

also calcium and magnesium

Vit D

Vit E

Maca capsules by rain forest 

Menapol plus x 2 

all beneficial and worked so well for me..

i am age 50 now post menopause had a 9-10 years natural peri and all these i have tried and tested, over many years - researched what we lack and these have helped me personally .

theres many things out there 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay, I have been taking the following vits for a couple of years. 

a general multi vit, vitamin d , i was diagnosed last year as vit d deficent, told by GP need more sunshine, cod liver oil,and glucosamine. 

Should I stop the multi vit for the Vit b??

• Posted

hi screwloose

well see what your mutli vit contains.. How much B6 does it have ?

100mg of B6 is what you want .. Of B6 in a complex or alone ..

i take 150mg B6 ..

years ago when i started peri my doc actually gave me B6 years ago but never told me the benefits back then..

dont know if your in uk ( i am in southern spain) but holland and barret do an ideal Mega B 100 complex ... That has 100mg of B6 in it and other B vits.

sometimes these multi vits have very low vit content in them  

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay, I am off to H&B this afternoon to pick up the Vit B6.!!!!

My Dr said he wanted to get my vit D test redone as I was deficient but he said if it was back to normal I could stop taking the supplements.......thoughts on that would be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi i personally take vitamin d ongoing something i seem to need in the menopause. Maybe other ladies can share their stories as well.
    • Posted

hi Hun

well... ' what do doctors know' answer = diddly.. Only a Gyno knows what menopause women need .. And women who have exoerienced it hands on ..

in peri and menopause in my opinion you need supplements ..

Particularly the ones we mention 

jay xx

• Posted

vit D .. Useful web snippet ..

If you are a woman in your 30s, 40s or 50s, it’s time to think about Vitamin D.

This little wonder of a vitamin plays a central role in many body processes and is on the A-list for menopausal women.

Studies have linked it to preventing heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer and weight gain.

If that seems like a lot of prevention in one little vitamin, it is.

The problem, though, is that as many as half of adults are deficient in vitamin D and are therefore not benefiting from it.

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Vit B6 purchased and in the system. I have also got some magnesium spray as it seems to get good feedback. Also had a long chat with my hubby and that helped as well. Had a planning session about increasing exercise better diet etc as I pointed out to him that he was getting older too!!! Onwards and upwards!!! 

Thanks again for all the help and support ladies!!!

• Posted

Hi Screwloose

nice one, hope the vits help .. they certainly did me ..

best thing is to let hubby know and talk about it .. they then understand it all better and support you ...

when i had off days in the past .. i explained it to my partner 😀

so he didnt think it was him making me feel that way..

' share and share alike ' 😃

i know some ladies say they cant talk to their partners ..

but if you can its best... 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

You are a wonderful source of knowledge and support!!

I have been on annual leave from work and have now introduced a new regime with regards walking with a view of helping with sleep and anxiety. I go for a walk in the evening with my hubby and it gives us time to talk undisturbed. Hopefully things will start to improve soon with all the vits and new regime!!

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi Screwloose

thank you for the kind words... i too struggled with the insomnia ... for years, i say struggled as its abit better, but not totally..

Biovea Web site is good for Vits too, and supplements, they ship worldwide.

i use to get Melatonin from that Biovea site for sleep... and it works..

5mg or 10mg... can make dreams abit vivid at times.. 😀

take 30 mins before bed ..

nice to have walks with other half, relaxing and nice... 😃

enjoy your weekend 

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.