Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone help me please. My left knee and hip is really sore and stiff today. I general have good mobility and would like to know does a regular walking routine really help also do the rub in gel if so which is the best. I want to avoid pain killers for as long as I can. I want to try and help handle the pain better. I am due back at my doctor soon and have been on loads of medication has you will see from my last post and I want to go back with a plan on howI want to tackle this pain. Also my poor old dog has got bad hips so I hope the walking will help her too.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I totally understood how you feel. I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I will have to have both knees replaced but I am only 42 so hanging on as long as possible. I am on morphine patches as I couldn't cope with the pain. It really as helped me walking with crutches and swimming as Been a God send the only time I don't feel any pain is when I am swimming it really helps strengthen the muscles. Hope this helps.

Xxx

• Posted

hi Pam I have it in both hips severe and moderate and early signs in knee and have also been told to hang on as long as possible. But I'm thinking quality of life now is crap and unless we put it off till were 60 say, we will still need another one as don't they last 15 years approx. Interested on your take on this
    • Posted

I am totally in the same boat. I have really y bad OA in my right hip and the consultant said my left hip is going the danger easy . Walking is really painful after half an hour. I'm only 38 and have an eight month old . hoping for one more . I dint know weather to have a replacement now or wait a few years. as you said quality of life.
    • Posted

hi Trixybelle have you been offered a replacement as surgeons advise against it as second replacement is supposed to not be as successful but I want to live now not be in pain and have such reduced mobility
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately I can not swim. So I think walking is my only option.
    • Posted

I understand what you mean has my brother in law goes in hospital tomorrow for his second hip replacement he had the first one when he was 45 he is now 63 and knee replacement when he was 50 which also needs to be replaced again once he is over the hip replacement.
    • Posted

I hope your brother in law's operation goes well.  I was 39 for first knee second one done at 52 and other knee needs maybe a partial one done soon. I have been having treatment for this at physiotherapy to no avail. So back to the board room  as they say. 
  • Posted

Hi exercise is key they same to arthritis so walking every day for 30 minutes or so would be great depending if your in pain then cut it shorter say 15 minutes. I would get good trainers google best trainers for walking I have Brooks gel but they are expensive new balance are also supposed to be good. Glucosamaine/chrontrin/msm cidar vinegar/ honey molasses/ cod liver oil  again google all these things see what you think. Read the reviews on amazon some use glucosamiane for dogs with arthritis as well. Insoles carnation power step look good,  Make sure you walk on flat terrain rather than up hill as can put more strain on hips knees. I have read a cycling exercise bike is supposed to be very good and have tried knee supports but it started hurting other knee for me. They also do hip supports. Hope some of this helps. Try going to a chiropracter/a healing centre ;-)
    • Posted

Thank you I am going to try some of the things you have suggested in your post. I never thought about an exercise bike this may be worth a try thank you for some very good advice.
  • Posted

Hello Pam, Exercise is good for Osteoarthritis, Swimming is non weight bearing and gentle walking. I have had my left knee replaced twice and i am only 58 and i walk everyday thou not able to walk much now. I have Osteoarthritis in other knee now and spine. I have a gel called Algesal on prescription for my back but have used in on my knee and it does help. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I was 39 and 2nd one done at 52. I had Septic Arthritis at aged 11 and had deformity in knee, myTibia and Fibia straighted and Ligaments had gone in my groin. I was unable to walk at all, hence why they had to operate. 
    • Posted

Awww hope your ok now. I am walking with crutches on morphine patches the consultant as left the decision to me but he told me because of my age the complications I will have as time goes on my left knee bone on none and is my worse knee which is the one I have to have done first. I really don't know what to do it's complicated as I have a clotting disorder too.
    • Posted

If i was you i would ask if there are other options first. Will you need a total knee replacement? My other knee is causing problems and i have been told that they could do a partial knee.  I am waitng for referal at the moment, as it was the consultant for my left knee that told me to get referal. I really don't want anymore operations but i am in constant pain. My second knee replacement was done whilst i had a broken leg, i needed bone graft and have 2 long stents in leg now for support. The second one was less successful and i have nerve pain and reduced mobility, this took 12 mths to recover. So what i am saying is the younger you are you will need a revision one done and that could be more problamatic. On the plus side you will get a better quality of life having it done now, more or less pain free, good mobility.  10 years is average wear and revision ones 7 years. I would look at the fact that modern medicine is improving all the time and we don't know how long we are going to live for. Weigh it all up. Let us know what you decide.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hello Pam

The hip pain maybe caused by the knee,. Too many pain killers can damage your liver. My knee was swollen and painful but it is improving with accupuncture treatment once a week. Although I have difficulty walking, I do get lots of exercise for all parts of the body by going to aquafit classes at the local swimming pool. 

We wear flotation belts and use floating dumbells made of styrofoam. 

Yesterday a relative told me about a clinic that uses laser therapy so I will check it out and get back to you. 

Alpine

• Posted

The aquafit classes may be good for me I am going to check out our local leisure centre. My swimming is not very good but if they use flotation belts may be I could do it. I am very interested in the aquafit. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.