Advice please

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I have struggled with the curse of alcoholism for a long time now.  I am 43 & female.  I did a detox in May very successfully but relapsed late summer.  I am now worse than I ever was.  I have tried for the last few weeks to cut down but I cannot believe the amount I have to drink to avoid withdrawal symptoms...I tried to go cold turkey last night and it was awful...I had very little sleep, was sweating and every time I did fall asleep I jerked awake from nightmares.  I am thinking of calling the same hospital that helped me in May but I'm very scared.  Last time I had to send my kids away,  My husband (not the kids dad) is teetotal and totally supportive of me so I want to know if I can ask that this doesn't happen.  I was abused as a child and then by my ex husband so it is very hard for me to send them to him...I really, genuinely think they are safer here,  

I am having counselling for the underlying issues that have happened to me.  I would really appreciate anyone that can advise me on what i can say to keep the kids here.  I should say that I do have a job, I'm a functional alchololic and most of my drinking takes place when they are in bed.  I'm not saying this is a good thing...just a fact.  Any help very gratefully received

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lorna01155 ..hope you are doing ok..please let us know. I too relapsed-yet again- & went to doc on Thurs...I was afraid he wouldn't give me Librium as I've had it a few times in the last few months but he did. I went cold turkey about 2 yrs ago & it was dreadful..had hallucinations etc & was told never again to go cold turkey as it could kill me. But as I've said I've had to go back few times in last few months and yes it is embarrassing but I was terrified not to. I'm now on day 3 of detox with librium..I feel absolutely exhausted but I think I did too much yesterday..should have rested more..I think u are meant to when on librium but I was just so glad to be able to function without the drink & without bad withdrawals I did too much housework I think cos I hadn't done any for a week.  I too work & have a doctor's note giving me until Tuesday..I was thinking of going back tomorrow, Monday, but I feel so tired & achy now (Sunday night) I think I will wait until Tuesday. Also I hadn't eaten properly ..yesterday was first day I ate properly in nearly a week. I've also been given vitamin tablets.    And yes the drinking does get worse everytime..I was sober for many years but each relapse is worse than the last. I feel really determined this time..hope I feel the same though in a few days when I've finished the librium.  I wish you well Lorna..take a deep breath & go to your gp & ask for Librium...I was very nervous going too.  Wish me well and I wish you well!!
    • Posted

Cherry -

The relapses getting worse, that's known as the Alcohol Deprivation Effect. Google it for more info, but you'll basically see studies that have duplicated what you've described. You can get on top of the next one if you go beyond moderate drinking with a med called Selincro. It can help you keep a limit on the drinking. Have a look at this discussion started by Foreverfuzzy:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tsm-nalmefene-selincro-trying-to-control-my-drinking--493058?page=0#1898240

I understand not all GP's know about it, so if you're interested, it might be a good idea to (ahem) help him get up to speed on it beforehand, if he doesn't know about it already. There's a Patient info page on Selincro too, discussions, etc. 

• Posted

Hi ADEfree...thanks for replying.  Yes I have read a lot on these forums abour Selincro. But I feel I need to cut alcohol out altogether rather than cut down.  Hence this detox I'm doing at present with help of Librium.  Just can't believe how tired and lethargic I feel still...this is day 4 of detox. I have pains in calves of my legs but not sure if this is anything to do with detox or because I did too much on Saturday having done nothing for nearly a week beforehand? Anyone know? Just hoping I'll feel a little less wrecked tomorrow
    • Posted

Cherry -

I hope you are indeed feeling better today!

I don't know how to advise you on the lethargy and pain in your legs, but I'm not surprised you feel lethargic or have pains here and there or even cramps. I'm no health professional, but from what I've read, alcohol does cause your kidneys to waste magnesium, which causes various problems. You might pose the question to RHGB who posts here, as he's had personal experience with alcohol detox. Perhaps start the message with:

RHGB - detox question

So it shows up in the summary in the email notification that a new message has been posted to a discussion.

Of course, it would be a good to let your GP know about this too, no matter what kinds of answers you get in on this site.  

Certainly when your GP tells you detox is the Rx, Selincro is not a substitute for that. If you have another run-in with alcohol after this detox and start drinking more than the guidelines for moderate consumption, then it might be good if both you and your GP were familiar with Selincro beforehand. It could save you from a full-blown relapse, which as you say, tends to be worse than the relapse before. That's how Selincro is used, to put a cap on heavy drinking and push it back down into the moderate range (at least). 

Again, I hope you're feeling much better today and I wish you the best of success. Please stop in and give us an update when time allows!

• Posted

Update: have tried to do this myself but realised I really do need help. Initial appointment with inclusion this morning and alcohol nurses next week. Any hints from people who have been there would be gratefulLy received
    • Posted

Does anybody have suggestions for Lorna? How did your appointment go, Lorna? 
    • Posted

It went really well thanks...I found inclusion really good. Feeling positive and working towards a home detox I think. Hard because I have to keep drinking for now but I recognise that I'm an alcoholic and that feels like a big step. Thanks so much for the reply xx
    • Posted

Make sure they follow up your detox (probably home detox ((diazepam)) with a nurse visiting every day to administer and check up on you, if you don't have another adult in the house), with an anti-craving drug, such as Campral, or you are likely to relapse again.

Ask them about this when you see them next time. Just because you detox and this avoids the symptoms of cold turkey, this doesn't mean that your brain and body are free from the craving. It takes several months for this to disappear and completely be out of your system.

• Posted

Thank you. ..I will ask but not keen on more chemicals tbh. I'm very clear on why I relapsed this time and think 'likely to relapse.' Is a little negative. It was several months after my detox this time in any case. I appreciate the advice tho and I'm not underestimating the difficulties.
    • Posted

Lorna -

I'm glad you're moving forward and I congratulate you on assembling your team to help you get to sobriety! 

Do take RHGB's advise to heart, as while relapse may not happen all that soon, it can be a real threat down the road. It would be a very good move to make a "Plan B" with your team, one that might include a medication to blunt your desire for alcohol should you "slip" and take a sip. If you look into your experience, what you've heard of friends and family, reports in the media of others, or even the stories right here on Patient, you may well find that subsequent relapses are even worse and more ruinous than the one before. This is because of the Alcohol Deprivation Effect, something that's been fairly well reserched and documented. A lot of that information is in the form of medical studies and rather difficult for the layperson to read. If you'd like to get some more information on ADE, go over to the Cthreefoundation website and click on the link for the Options Save Lives Forum, create an account there and ask for a copy of Dr. Eskapa's book. Someone will get you a PDF copy of it at no charge. If you've any questions about that, please feel free to ask or even send me a private message here on Patient.

All that aside, I believe you are taking solid steps toward success in addressing this problem and wish you the best in your journey towards sobriety! 

• Posted

amazing reply. So well thought out. Great forum indeed! Robin
    • Posted

Thank you, Robin. Yes, this forum is a great resource! Many thanks to those at Patient for making it available.
  • Posted

Just an update - I have taken the very good advice I received on here.  The support you gave me enabled me to buck up the courage to seek help.  I made contact with inclusion and I am now on my second day of detox.  Feeling fairly zombie like but sleeping really well and relieved to be getting the help I need.  I would say to anyone that was in my situation, don't struggle on alone - get the help you need.  It's hard but the alternative is so much worse and by and large the support is amazingly good.
    • Posted

Well done Lorna..delighted to hear you are on the road to recovery...I also detoxed at home  with librium just over 3 weeks ago.  I felt absolutely zombie-like for a few days but that feeling gradually disappeared after a few days. I started eating properly again & also my gp recommended a good vitamin supplement which I believe is important after long term drinking when inevitably you are not eating properly. I'm over 3 weeks sober now & feeling better mentally and physically.  It's great to have the support on this site and to know we are not alone. confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.