Advice Please

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am currently reducing from 8mg to 7mg Pred by the dead slow method (previously dropped by 1mg every 4 - 6 weeks having started at 20mg). What I would like to know is, having eventually got down to 7mg for a whole week do I then start reducing to 6mg or do I stay at 7mg for a couple of weeks or so before doing so?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Stay at 7 for at least a month and then start reducing by one/half of 1mg.

You can't rush the reduction or will just wind up going back up when pain

comes back.   There is a lot of info on this site about slow, slow, slow it

the way to go.....

• Posted

I am not a doctor, and have never even played one on t.v., but I have a strong opinion about the right answer to your question.  My answer is based on the experience of following the instructions of my rheumy, whose dosing regimen is not typical.  My answer: Do not reduce your dose after "a couple of weeks." Do it after FOUR weeks.  Do it every four weeks, but reduce from 7 to 6.5.  After another month, go down to 6.0...5.5....5.0.   At that point, consult your physician. Mine has advised staying on 5mg for ever.  He says that with that regimen, he has never had a patient experience a relapse, which commnly occurs in patients who have stopped taking it altogther.  He would approve of reducing from 20mg by 1 mg every 4-6 weeks, but below 10mg he had me reduce by only 0.5mg.  He believes that reducing as slowly as that, then staying on 5 mg, is they key.  So far, he has been proved correct in my case.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I like the reduction method fro 20mg below I hope to get to that. At present I'm on 37.5mg have been for a week going to stay for 4 weeks on this amount but not sure on how much to reduce after this I got down to 27.5 last time but got a flair that's why I'm back at 37.5.

• Posted

Are there any long term negative side affects of the 5mg dose forever? I've made it down to after five years with many flares. I was probably going down too fast before.

• Posted

At last a doctor who really seems to know what he is talking about.👍

• Posted

Wish all rheumies were like yours.....and the fact of staying on 5mg , which I have read is a "maintenence" dose makes a lot of sense......as Eileen has often said, it is not a race to get to zero!......

• Posted

This sounds very sensible, I've had 3 flares up to now, so am now reducing by half a mg. to 7.5 instead of one mg reductions. I get to 7.5 on Tuesday and will take your advice and stay at that for 4 weeks. I'm going to print this for my GP, he is worried about my inability to reduce down.

• Posted

That sounds very intelligent to me, reduce by smallest amount. Nobody who has had a flare wants another, small and slow. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello Fran,  Faye is right.  Dead slow is the only way to reduce.  You have already been using the dead slow method and there is no reason not to continue with that approach if it has worked for you and it seems to have the best success rate.  The alternative is to reduce by one half of 1mg and stay at that level as Faye says for at least a month.  If you feel ok then continue to reduce very slowly.  As Eileen has said the first few days after a reduction you may not feel quite as good but things should settle after that.  Always listen to your body;  if it is not ready to reduce go back to where you felt ok and wait a bit longer.  Hope all goes well for you.
  • Posted

its a bit like bus timetables. No matter how good the timetable the bus is always late. And never early. We have no control, we catch the bus when it arrives.

So it is with pred reduction. Its no good trying to reduce if the underlying disease is lurking, ready to show its face. We have no control over it.

At high levels of pred I was keen to get rid of the side effects. At lower levels I'm keen to not have a relapse or flare.

I think I was stuck around 6mg for about 6 months. But here I am now just about on 2 1/2mg.

I'm naturally impatient, but what's the hurry?

I'm not at all sure how it works for others but for me it seems to be a case of read the signs. Like knowing that I'm a bit less stiff than a while ago so it must be near time to reduce. And of course as I do reduce recognising new aches and pains.

In consultations with GP she is always keen for me to reduce pred but also recognises its a judgement not a bus schedule.

• Posted

Good advice, Julian! I am working my way back to a comfortable (I hope!) 7-1/2m dose. I was comfortable at 7-1/2m and using the DSNS method to taper to 7m but a week or so into the taper I started having little niggles...but continued on. After a month I found myself in a major flare, just now recovering. PMR has a mind of its own! Prednisone is my friend!
  • Posted

I would wait for a few weeks before starting again - just to be sure and a slow reduction at this stage makes it more likely your adrenal function will start up successfully.

And hoorah about that doctor who realises slow is the way to go!

3party - the DSNS approach referred to doesn't even do 1mg or 0.5mg overnight - it takes 4 weeks or more to achieve it. But I also suggest 0.5mg spread over the 4 weeks. Most doctors aren't as enlightened as yours!

• Posted

Hope this message finds you well, after what seems like a lifetime and in conjunction with your DSNS ( of which my GP was extreamly immpressed )  routine , I am now down to 1 mg perday, and have been  taking this dose now for one week , im coping well and am only experiencing stiffness and poor mobility when i get up after a long sit,  or out of bed in the morning , so i feel proud of myself for sticking with it ,and so thankful for all your knowledgeable advice, i did have a flair about three months ago and i put my self back on a 5mg dose stayed on that for about six weeks then started my reduction plan over again.

My question is, how long do i stay on 1 mg, and how would i reduce hopefully to zero pred , my gp was very non committal and more or less said "consult your forum as you have been given excellent advice which has worked for  you" so Eileen im asking your advice again please, i realise we are all different and can only reduce to our body's needs but i would really appreciate any info you can give me

Thank you once again   

• Posted

Oo-er - now there is a question! How long is a pice of string!!! It does sound as if you MIGHT be one of the people for whom a very low dose is all that is required - but you are talking about slight signs the PMR might still be there so I'd be disinclined to be too precipitate! 

For a start I'd give 1mg at least a month, maybe more. Then do a DSNS with 0.5mg and see how you go. And if it works do a very slow DSNS for that other 0.5mg. But don't be in denial of those niggle you mention start niggling harder. 1mg is such a low dose I'd take it for life rather than risk it all coming back!!!!!

• Posted

hi Humpalumpa, I too am at a low dose only 1.5 but I've got a feeling this low dose is probably what I've been aiming for during the past two years, not zero as I had fondly hoped.  My new goal is to stay here until even the niggles have gone away, continuing  to do everything I can to live a life which encourages healing.

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,  this issue is relevant to me also. I'm currently working down from 0.75 to 0.50mg. using Eileen's DSNS method, reducing by a quarter of a mg. at a time.. . . Very few 'niggles'. 

Like yourself, I have no problem staying on a low dose - In fact I think it may actually be a good idea - but with my bone densty readings it may be better to aim for zero.  Any views?  

Kind regards,  J

• Posted

Hi Juno, I think I read somewhere that they've no idea what level pred continues to affect bones, but I do know the worst damage occurs early on, at least in PMR when we are generally never at a high dose, at least not for long.  I'm trusting that because I was still able to improve my bone density during a year when I was still above 5 mg for about seven months, this low dose is not going to have any measureable effect.  I am really, and have been all along, right on the edge of not taking enough pred, so I know it would be foolish for me to push any lower at this time.  I'm almost certain what I felt when trying to get to 1 mg was more PMR than pred withdrawal.  But I will try a reduction again once the niggles have faded away, which I'm sure they will eventually.  I think it's brilliant you are down so low - nearly zero!  Probably I should try the .25 reduction next time.  Right now I seem to have a number of other painful conditions so in any case I'll wait till they are better.

• Posted

The dose youa re at now is unlikely to have a significant effect on bone density. It's felt the worst changes occur in the first 3 month, which is when you are likely to be at the higher dose for you, which ever you hav, GCA or PMR.

And if it means you are better mobile that is likely to outweigh the tiny dose you are on. Immobility is the biggest predictor of bone density loss. Even if you are sedentary for 8 hours a day - that is not important if you exercise for an hour, even "just" walking - lovely weight bearing exercise!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your other conditions. I hope they improve soon.  Ongoing pain is no fun.

Re. trying the .25 reduction, the real hassle is cutting the half mg. tablets and then part of them disintegrating. Lots of waste, big quarters, small quarters. . . .  

Re. PMR and high doses of Pred.,  you're right in saying we're not at a high dose for any significant period.  I don't think my high Pred. had much to do with diagnosis of OP as I tend to blame dietary issues eg. poor protein intake. 

Keep well,  J

• Posted

Thanks Eileen. I have to say that mobility isn't a problem - I'm a bit like the Road Runner, always on the go but with a quick nap in the afternoon. My mother used to tell me that I made the central heating boiler work harder as I created such a disturbance of air in a room (never staying still!). . . . 

I'm seeing the rheumatologist at the end of this month and I'll see what she has to say.  I have this idea that staying on a really low dose for a few years may have a protective effect against relapse . . . . But that's only my head which often gets things wrong. . . .  

• Posted

I know there are both patients and doctors who think the same. And at such a low dose, even if it is purely psychological, a sort of comfort blanket, does it matter?
    • Posted

Suppose not!  But I do see myself as someone who left my comfort blanket behind many decades ago ha ha . . . . .  T
    • Posted

HI Again Eileen, and thanks for the advice, its pretty much what i was thinking anyway so 1 mg it is for as long as it takes until i dont have any signs of my PMR.I was thinking probably 3 months on 1 mg then readdess my pain levels, and if im still niggling im quite happy to stay on my 1 mg for ever too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.