Advice please after physio post hip op 5 months

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello Hippies. I have been off this site for a while but now would like to know if others have been told..as I have today by physio at Salisbury Dist Hospital... that I will NEVER be able to do the things I did before the hip replacement due to the threat of dislocation.  I was under the impression that once at 6 months or at worst 12 month stage was over I would beable to garden/ zumba and swim as before....I was disheatened to say the least!

​Will catch up with old hippes friends on this site like Rocketman and Renee and Rose.

Alice

5 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Older Scottish chap? Yes he told me to keep the 90 rule for ever. He was contradicted by others. He used to work upstairs on the ward, wonder why he now runs the pool? In some cases he may well be correct but not for the majority
    • Posted

Yes Maggie..I remmember now on earlier posts when I was pre op that you are in my area and also work at SDH.  He is indeed a scottish chap and don't think he actually runs the hydrotherapy pool as not seen him before.  I have been going for 5 weeks. the previous week it was a lady physio and she said the same as Alex.  He put the wind up me as said he had had a hip patient whose hip had 'popped' after 3 years!  Rocketmans post to me is comforting as says an 'ordinary hip' could dislocate as well...i am just a bit dispapointed as felt I was doing very well.

Cheers Maggie,

​Alice 

• Posted

Hi Alice. I have friends who have had hip replacement one is back into walking at least 7 miles after 12 months. Another has done also rats of activities after having oth replaced including Zumba but I'm not sure how long ago. It's about 12 months since another friend had a replacement and is back into dancing , gardening and diy jobs at home. It just takes time but I know the feeling after only 3 weeks post op I'm getting fed up.    

Brenda

• Posted

Thank you Brenda.  It is nice to be back on this friendly site.  I remembr being fed up at your stage and was told it was the hippie blues..keep going kiddo.

Alice

• Posted

Hi Graham.  How are you doing now?  I have not been on this forum for a month or so.  Nice to be back having all the support.

Alice

• Posted

Not too bad Alice - you know me.   I am learning how to walk with  no sticks at the moment - and it's hard work, extra balancing I suppose.  Saw my private physio yesterday about my shoulder which has taken the brunt of single stick walking - and she has recommended 'shock absorbing walking poles', and lots of bum clenching exercises.

It kind of surprised me about the dislocation risks, but yes, hips are always at risk of dislocation even without artificial joints.  It is a low risk, but it is there. I did a graph on my website - look at my info 

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025the website address is there -

you need the page '10►Hospital recovery'

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Graham you web site has come on leaps and bound since we all saw the start of it..well done you.  I did pass the info oto my surgeon.

​Oh I know about the bum clenching excercises..I find them hard still even in the pool...bad luck about your shoulder..you have been through the mill.  I am going to have a look at your site in a moment.  Hope Mrs Rockman is well.

Ali 

• Posted

Yep, we're off to a celebration of "Polish holocaust" when the Russians took them off to Siberia at gunpoint on 10\11 February.
  • Posted

Hello Alice 

i had my THR in September and was told to live a normal life again . I have just returned from a city break in Amsterdam where I walked 7 miles a day !

I swim twice a week too .

the only thing that my surgeon told me never to do is .............. Cross my legs !!!

my mother is 89 and had a double  hip replacement 10 years ago and crosses her legs all the time !!! 

Dont be disheartened I think you need to talk to someone else 🍷🍷🍷🍷

• Posted

Hah! I love this post. Does your mom cross her legs at the knee, "like a lady" or with her ankle on her other knee. I will admit I miss sitting like this. Or sitting on a couch and pulling my heels up to my tush. Which may one day be okay but which scares me now.
    • Posted

Hey Jay....I feel as if I am talking to a huge 'club which indeed I am...What sort of stroke so yu do when swimming? At what stage post op time wise are you?

​Yes I know about the 'leg crossing' and have been aware and correct myslef.  Your mother is huge encouragement!!

.I will drink a couple of the glasses you have added at the end of your post!

​Ali

• Posted

I learned a long time ago that crossing our legs is a no no anyway, THR or not, because it cut off blood circulation to the heart.  Any time we cut the blood circulation off with a position of the body, then when we, for instance, uncross our legs, it causes a rush of blood to the heart, and if our blood clotted while crossing our legs, we can die because the blood clot will rush to the heart.  Same danger in wearing girdles, slimming underclothing.  Blood can clot when it is not flowing correctly.  Same as laying still for too long, hence during and after surgery, there are precautions taken to prevent blood clots.

• Posted

I was told I had no restrictions at all.. I have crossed my legs w no problem... but don't do it that often. Oh, and I can't leave the house to go "out" in a public setting, like party or dinner date, without Spanx. No matter how hard I work, I still have a muffin top and little belly bulge. This totally removes both. I don't wear them often either. OH, and I am a total couch potato.. I better watch out.. 
    • Posted

I find it hard NOT to cross my legs and ankles but it was drummed into me that this was not be done not only for the 6 months -a year post op recovery but for ever!  I had daily injections to prevent blood clots for 35 days and counted down each day!   I understand this restriction is for the dislocation worry not for blood clots.

I am hurting now from the excercises..horrible.

• Posted

You are correct about the dislocation worry and crossing the legs.  But in general for everyone, THR or not, crossing legs restricts blood flow.  I had pulmunary embolism in 2008, out of the blue, never had a blood clot before in my life.  During the 17 days in the hospital I was educated about crossing the legs.   So I want to do it, but I don't.  It was too scary and I too had to inject myself.  I thought I could never do that, but one nurse helped me so well, that I was able to do it. Dr. Oz had a show about the spandex wear and warned about blood clots when they are worn. Anytime we keep our blood flow static, we run the risk. There was a famous news reporter here in the States who had traveled to a war zone and he was sitting in a tank with soldiers for hours, very still.  When he stood up a blood clot killed him instantly.  I am too afraid of blood clots.  So even now, when I have to rest for lengthly periods of time, I pump my ankles and squeeze my tush very often! 

Hope the hurt from exercise is gone by tomorrow.

• Posted

Oh I am not hurting too much..  How awful to have had a blood clot..I have not but that is exactly what my husband died from..he was .fine one min ute..bit out of breath and that was that.....so I too am very wary of blood clots.

Night

​Ali  it must be a diff time for you ..it is almpst 10 at night here..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.