Advice please after physio post hip op 5 months

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello Hippies. I have been off this site for a while but now would like to know if others have been told..as I have today by physio at Salisbury Dist Hospital... that I will NEVER be able to do the things I did before the hip replacement due to the threat of dislocation.  I was under the impression that once at 6 months or at worst 12 month stage was over I would beable to garden/ zumba and swim as before....I was disheatened to say the least!

​Will catch up with old hippes friends on this site like Rocketman and Renee and Rose.

Alice

5 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Alice

I am a newbie on this site, just 10 weeks post op, but it's a great place to hear from others and the comments are informative and sensible.  Just a couple of point on your post - my cousin is a beef and arable farmer and has had both hips replaced, and believe you me there is no more physical job than being a farmer! I wouldn't worry about swimming and gardening at all, but do have some doubts about Zumba, perhaps do Yoga instead?

My other point is that there are good physios and not so good ones.  Some of them go 'by the manual' instead of focusing on the patient. For me the rule of thumb is the younger they are, the least likely they are to be in tune with a middle aged or elderly muscular skeleton body.  

• Posted

Hi Soxy..Good name!

​I might give yoga a miss as is all bendy isn't it?  You are right re a farmer..but I was sort of pleased to see the physio yesterday as he was , unlike the previous ones, older so I thought yippee he will know what he is about but begin to think age in his case didn't bring wisdom!

Aren't you glad you found this site?  I found it just before my op at begin of September and it helped and supported me in those early days.

Good on you now at 10 weeks....every week brings new challenges .

Ali

• Posted

Go get a second opinion. Talk to your surgeon. There is something wrong here.
    • Posted

I will ask at the physion pool next week and hope a third physio will be more positive!

​My surgeon charges a bomb just to say hello but if necessay will arrnage to see him again.

​Ali

• Posted

Hi Alice

My surgeon told me that I should be able to do everything I used to do - but perhaps not to the same extend. For example, I could still ski, but should avoid black runs and moguls. 

Michael

• Posted

Thank you.  I am reasured by most of the posts.  How marvelous is this site!

Alice

• Posted

Well I had my right hip replacement in 2010. I carried on cycling and walking miles with my job. Infact I did everything I did before my hip was bad.

I am now on the waiting list to get my left hip replaced, and I'm hoping not long after that I will be returning back to work and doing all the things I normally do.

So the answer to your question is yes you can be just as good before.

• Posted

Welcome back Ali 2, 

so good to hear that you are doing so well -

I thought that someone here on the forum posted, not that long ago, that she went back to Zumba dancing !!!

as for gardening, well, many gardeners here  !!

I am not sure if they really are  experts   - I expect them to be very knowledgeable, but not sure if they all really are ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Yes, it was a thread started by Mic. I have copied and pasted it below. - hope that is OK. It is currently on page 2 of the lists of topics.

Michael

Zumba class today -11 months post op!

Posted 3 days ago

Hi hippies,

sooooo, first time in over a year, just done a Zumba class at gym. All well, and pleased with myself muchly.

soooo, sox on, sox on standingup, walk 5 miles, and now Zumba class. Lovely operation; lovely recovered me

• Posted

Renee my girl..How nice to be in reciept of your welcome hugs again!

​I think that physios, unless they have had the op, are talking out of text books and not first hand experience!  At least the one I saw yesterday and last week.  A fellow hippie has posted, and knows the physio  I saw as is in my area, she was told the same.  Very comforting all this ...

a smiling again Ali 2

• Posted

Michael..what a star to copy that original post.  I will happily wait the year and whizz back to Zumba again.  I remmebr what an achievemnet putting my socks on was and also cutting ( and painting) my toe nails.  Managed that at 4 months!

​I feel very reassured by the hippy family on this site.

​Alice ( Ali 2)

• Posted

Oh, thank you Michael -- see, again, invaluable forum and people - and how important to share ---

• Posted

I know ... interesting, my 1st PT was a young, buzzing, over excited girl - making me do things , what I thought, were beyond my abilities - I ended up in so much pain and stopped going - 

2nd PT (sfter 2nd THR) is older .. started out a lot better - but no exercises, just some cycling on stationary bike and treadmill - I mentioned already that I was send the bill as insurance told me he went way over allotted (paid) sessions ...

• Posted

Your little grey cells (as a famous Belgian detective once said) work very well to recall the original post.

How are you? Ihope you are stronger and better than yesterday :-)

warm hugs

Michael 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.