Advice while waiting for physio?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Previous link - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/lateral-malleolus-fracture-update-649115

As you can read in my previous post I have had on going chronic ankle pain in my left Ankle for over two years since a ''simple'' lateral malleolus fracture.   

At my last doctors appointment she advised me that the X-Ray seemed normal (non stress X-ray) and there was scarring that could be seen.  I have been referred to physiotherapy which could be months down the line.  I asked her for advice and she advised to by some form of Ankle brace and also stated if physio didn't work surgery might have to be done especially if the bone was misaligned (which she didn't know if it was or wasn't). 

Here are some of the symptoms I get currently - 

- Constant ankle weakness / limp

- Very easy to sprain, have minor sprains frequently and bad sprains more often than I should even though I just walk on flat pavements

- Constant aching / gnawing pain.

- Pain at the site of fracture and all the way up the left side of my lower league

- Frequent pins and needles

- Unexplained bruising that comes and goes.

At the moment I am kind of in Limbo, I have a fear that the Physio will do nothing and perhaps even make it worse, it's getting very frustrating now and I am constantly on edge about even just walking down a flat stretch of payment as even that causes pain, even though the pain isn't agonising by any stretch of the imagination it is unpleasant. 

At this point I just want to chop the damn fut off lol (not really).

Any advice? I know I post frequently, but my GP isn't knowledgeable in this stuff at all, paying privately is an option but very expensive. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

no expert but I feel you need to know if bone is aligned or not. If not displaced I would think you would be safe to follow excercises you can find online...pdfs or youtube. But you do need to know that you are not doing yourself damage
  • Posted

Any further advice anyone can give? 
  • Posted

Icing and elevating as much as possible will help. Sounds like the fracture is not healed and may be a bit displaced. You should be able to access your xray reports as part of your medical record. Do so and ready the xray report. Have you had a recent xray? If not, you need one. My orthopedic surgeon lets me see my xray every visit(I am 3 months post op).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.