Advise post tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi , need some advise here, I had a tkr on 6th October I did exercise and icing everyday, now I slowed down a bit , I only exercise every other day , sometimes just once a day , I don’t feel good mind you the knee still hurt , I can’t stand for long, I can’t walk for any distance, I only had 3 physio sessions. I know I am doing something wrong , have I stopped too soon?? Should I be trying to get more physio, the problem is , at £50 a go it’s a bit too much. There is a long waiting list for physio on the NHS where I live . I go swimming once a week . Sorry I am rambling a bit , I am just worried that if I carry on the way I am now that I will suffer in the future . Need some feedback please . Thank you in advance and I also wish you all a very happy Christmas 🎄 and a good and healthy new year. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laila, it's still really early in your recovery. Don't be too hard on yourself. I didn't do the exercises every day because it hurt. I done them when I was able. I'm 13 weeks tkr and coming along fine. I've never had any physio, only my exercises at home

• Posted

Thank you Louis I suppose I will persevere with the exercises and more swimming. 
  • Posted

Hi Laila my advise would be to do the range of movement exercises as often as possible because this is the worst thing to do later on. I'm really struggling with mine and wish I concentrated more on them from the beginning. The strength exercises can wait they are the ones that cause pain and swelling. I'm 13 weeks post TKR today and my strength is very good it's the range of movement which is poor. I see my consultant on the 4th January so I will see what he says then. 

• Posted

Not being able to stand for long or walk any distance was my experience too but the most important thing is to continue your exercises as given to you.

It is still early days, don't panic.

Are you taking any pain killers?

How swollen is your knee?

I still used support, either a stick/crutch, or two walking pole style sticks for any walking over 5 minutes around 3 months post op.Your leg will get stronger but it does take time. Mine improved a lot in strength from around 10 weeks onwards but it does take time.

Are you on a list for the NHS physio? They may be able to offer you a place in some group physiotherapy?

Happy Christmas!

• Posted

Thank you Jenny , I couldn’t take strong pain killers prescribed by the GP as it was making me sick so I just stick to over the counter pain killers.  I am not on the nhs physio list but I am seeing the doc after Christmas hopefully to refer me . 
    • Posted

I made a scene in the GP surgery about the lack of physiotherapist sessions post TKR. An appointment came through for the following week who I see one to one. I also go to a "knee school" at the hospital. It's a group session with other knee warriors and it's a bit like circuit training. They have different exercise stations some for balance, strength and range of movement but there is a physiotherapist overseeing it with an assistant. It's great because you get to talk to other people going through the same problems x

• Posted

Are you exercising in the pool? That is very good!
    • Posted

I just go to the pool and exercise the knee, I don’t swim as such because I was told not to do breast strokes in the pool is not good for the knee, thank you for that Jenny 
    • Posted

I go to the pool and swim. However I do breast strike arms but crawl legs which is fine with our new knees. Might look strange but very effective!
  • Posted

Exercises are critical to do especially heel slides. I am working on those which were so hard for a long time. Now easier. Had surgery Aug 17th. Also, make certain doc has cleared you to submerge knee in water leke pool.  

It gets better smile 

• Posted

MOST important thing is the excersises. So them every day in a routine, I make myself do them before I get dressed and before I eat in the evening. Often painful but I just go easy on those occasions. It’s a slippery slope if you get out of the habit of doing them. Swimming is great and cycling too if you can. It’s a slow old process so don’t get downhearted! 
  • Posted

Hi Laila, give yourself a break! This op is a nasty brutal operation & recovery is hard & can be extremely hard! Pain is one of the body's only defence systems after an operation & gives you a huge clue as to how far to push yourself! I do not believe in pushing through the pain threshold! Pain is there for a reason & the reason is to slow down & give yourself time to heal. When you do your exercises do them slowly, don't rush, it's a case of quality not quantity. If you do 5 the correct way, it's bettter than 15 incorrectly.

You also have to keep on top of pain relief, exercise after taking them. Trust your heart & gut feeling when exercising, you will know when you've gone too far!

I know from last year that I didn't do too well at 1st. It took patience & perseverance & only managed 95 bend when I was discharged from physio, which was 3 months post op! I worked hard from then on to get 120plus but it was hard work, but by then healing was better in the knee.

Why have you only had 3 physio sessions on the NHS? I was given 6 last year, physio should have been arranged for you when you were discharged from the ward!

Once you get to the point in your recovery from the op, then you prioritise the exercise. Recovery & rehab are 2 very different things!

You will get there in your own time. Don't let anyone ever tell you you are lagging behind. It takes as long as it takes. Do not ever measure your rehab by anyone else! You are you!

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Have a wonderful Christmas 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Yeah...you stopped too soon.  This is a continuous, ongoing recovery.  These may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/walking-after-a-tkr-593409

You MUST do the ROM work...there is no other choice.  Then after you get your ROM back, you have to rebuild all the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core to support the new knee.  This is mandatory to finally walk correctly and climb stairs.  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Then...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

What?  You thought this would be easy?  It takes a FULL YEAR of concerted effort to get your life back.  Meanwhile, this is what recovery really looks like...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

There is no quit...there is no slacking off!!!  Failure is NOT an option!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.