AF

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with AF today after a phone call from the hospital to say I need another ECG which I am having on Monday I was taken into hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning after waking up with palpitations and rapid heart beat. I was sent home after having tests and was told my blood tests was clear including troponin. Then came the the phone call today saying I have AF and might have to go on Warferin.

When I was ready to go home from the hospital I stood up and felt awful, I told the nurse I felt faint and had nausea, clammy, blurred vision and felt really weak....

My hearing was reduced so could'nt hear properly and could barely talk. I had my blood pressure taken and it was 80/40. When it settled down my temperature was 35 so then I felt cold. I stayed in the hospital for another 3 hours before I went home...

I would like to know how others cope on warferin or if anyone had the ablation op. I was in the same hospital in June this year for 10 days with the same symptoms but AF was'nt mentioned to me then only ectopic beats. I would like to add I have been suffering with this for over 30 years. I am going to ask about the ablation I don't fancy being on Warferin....

Has anyone had low blood pressure like I had with this condition?            

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi and after 30 years I would think it is now time to get you sorted! I collapsed last year and it was found that I had a hole in my heart that I know nothing about. This was repaired but then I got A.F pretty bad. Guys Hospital booked me in for the ablation in June just gone which wasnt very pleasant but am now much better and have no problems. I take asprin rather than Warfarin and also bisoprol and a couple of others. I do get tired but am back dancing and working so hope that you too will be much better soon
    • Posted

Hi Audrey, thank you for your reply. Glad to hear you are feeling better after the Ablation. I can't wait to feel better again if they let me have it done. I have been feeling awful for years. I will ask if I can have aspirin instead of warferin. I tried bisoprolol but It made me breathless.
  • Posted

I am 53 Y/O and have been in chronic AFIB for 25 years and have had 2 unsuccessful abalations in 2004,2006. I think you may have a very good shot of returning and staying in NSR since you are not in AFIB all the time.You will have to go on warafin before the procedure and for atleast 3 months after it along with other anti-arrythmia meds. If you are worried about warafin for dietary reasons (green vegtables) just make sure you eat the same amount daily so your INR doesn't go crazy. My efraction rate is normal so I am on a baby aspirin and verapamil ( blood pressure/ rate control). If no new great procedures for AFIB come up in the next 17 years I will also go on warafin or something similar at that time. Good luck and I'm feeling you have a great shot of returning to NSR
    • Posted

Hi m72561 Sorry to hear the ablations did'nt work, it must be frustrating for you. I get more of the palpitations than the rapid heartbeat, I can also hear my heart pounding in my left ear which is annoying.  Athough, when I was taken into hospital yesterday I could'nt feel my pulse it was too fast. I get fed up of it now and want an end to it. Hope you are right that I have a good chance about staying in NSR.      
    • Posted

I actually do very well in AFIB and still play  2 man beach volleyball with guys half my age. I guess I've been in it so long it's my normal. I know people in your situation who are AFIB free 5 years later after thier 1st abalation. I also try to folow a very good diet get plenty of rest and really have no complaints except that it would be nice if I were in NSR to see if It would make any difference.
    • Posted

Good to hear you can still play volleyball, I am afraid to move sometimes when my heart is playing up. Dont know what it is like to feel normal anymore. I will be overjoyed to get rid of the symptoms if it ever happens. 
    • Posted

My dad is 86 and has been in AFIB for the last 20 years,his lungs were damaged when taking amoridine and was said to be in congestive heart failure. He had a knee replacement and there were times in the last 5 years where his health was very frail. He change his diet cutting out all sugars and anything white (pasta,processed foods,breads ect) and is doing amazingly well.He can sail again and do yard work. AFIB is not a death sentence and I believe diet can make it much more managable. I am in better shape now than I was 10 years ago. I can play beach volleyball for hours and enjoy any activities I want with no restrictions. Please try these changes and you will see results
  • Posted

I'm ok on warfarin at 10mg. I need a high dose to keep INR 2-3. It is important you don't get a clot as it could cause a stroke. I am meeting cardilologist (electrophysiologist) in January to discuss ablation. I have atrial fibrillation and dilated cardiomyopathy. I am 45 and get tired easy and get dizzy. Be careful not to stand up too quickly. I believe ablation is around 70% successful and sometimes needs a second attempt. I am on digoxin (digitalis) for rate control and  sometimes I get so much flutter I need to lay down as it makes me weak. i am looking forward to the ablation so I can get some energy and get a job. Good luck Merryl.
    • Posted

Hi, glad to hear you are doing well on warfarin, this is all new to me if I need to be on it as I don't know anything about it. I also get tired easy with the symptoms, and feel dizzy at times. I just hope they will offer the ablation, I will ask anyway. How do you cope with the cardiomyopathy as well as the AF? It is bad enough having the AF. My flutters can last all day on and off and I can't do much until they stop. 

Good luck with the cardiologist and hope you get the ablation done soon. 

• Posted

I'm 79 years old have had PAFib for about 10 years and have taken Warfarin for this time. Downside with Warfarin is the regular INR checks, bruising with the slightest knock and extensive bleeding after nicks with my razor. The upside is that it prevents strokes which is a pretty big upside. My PAF episodes are self terminating after on average 24 hours and I tolerate them fairly well which is why have not gone for ablation, particularly at my age.
    • Posted

Hi, Thank you for your reply. It is the bleeding that I worry about. So it seems the warfarin does'nt get rid of the symptoms. Just wondered if I need to have a tooth out would the gums bleed more on warfarin.  I think I have a lot to learn about this. 
    • Posted

I had a very difficult extraction of an obstinate tooth last year when on warfarin. I needed stitches in my gum and the cavity had to be plugged but bleeding was no more that usual.

• Posted

Hi, yes I suffer with low blood pressure during these episodes, when it first started (earlier this year) they suggested warfarin which I refused. Two weeks ago I had ablation in Harefield, early days yet but I feel a lot better. Ablation was a bit uncomfortable but the end result is good.

Peter

• Posted

I will ask if I can have the ablation when I go to the hospital on Monday for the ECG. I would rather go through that than take warfarin. Glad to hear you are feeling better, it gives me some hope.

Thank you  

• Posted

When I was offered an ablation  (at Royal Brompton) the consultant said that even if it was a success I would be on Warfarin for life. I guess this was insurance against getting an AFib episode some time after the ablation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.