Affect of Weather and climate on CFS

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have heard of two people with CFS who believe that sunny climates alleviate their symptoms.  Maybe this is a shot in the dark but I am curious to know whether most of the people in this discussion live in colder climates? Do their symptoms clear when they visit hotter climates.   I am in the UK and my friend is suffering from CFS and I have become very curious about it.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi iv had m e for 16 years & when able to have had holidays in warmer climates than the U K,& there has always been a big diference in the level of my weakness and energy ,its much improved so i would defo say it helps to live in a warmer place.
  • Posted

yes, when i was able to travel - dry sunny high pressure climates made a BIG difference to my over all health & ME symptoms.

C

• Posted

i have been the opposite, wherby i relax all day in sun, but by tea time am floored, and need to be in bed early. swimming too makes me ill, i end up with vertigo and feel dizzy.

then i feel floored when i get home from holiday too. not sure if the flying and air pressure, or the water makes a difference.

• Posted

My partner potentially has the symptoms of CFS/ME (no diagnosis yet) and he generally feels a lot worse in the winter. We live in Scotland.
  • Posted

I use a SAD light in the winter and find that helps
  • Posted

l think many people with immune allergy probs, have a problem if too hot or cold, but if warm just being able to sit out in a shady area or potter in your garden lifts the spirits, providing serious allergic rhinitus isnt a big problem.

l personally think, not proven, but if you live in a country with highly polluted air its going to affect your immune system more negatively.

l live in a narrow congested valley with  heavy pollution, even living on the hill top preferable to valley bottom. ldeally a few month in the carribean might help, or mauritius whf say as cleanest air. and many older people retire to warmer climates for other health problems athritus improves.  Oh to have the money for a villa in the sun, dream on.

• Posted

Hi

I recently returned from a hot place after a week's holiday and from the moment I arrived the constant pain I had been having disappeared. Needless to say on my return, the pain too returned. I'm currently off work and sometimes wonder if the only way through is to go abroad and emigrate! 

Paz

• Posted

I w my OT today and i was telling her what i am like on holiday, she says its prob the hot climate draining energy, on top of the build up to holiday, the stress packing, sorting house,kids out etc. i need a holiday to get over a holiday lol
    • Posted

l think thats the problem for many with debilitating conditions, the anxiety build up about how youll manage with the travelling, waiting about, l could even worry about the distances walking in big airports, then the practicals, arrangements for home pets, easy for those with good health energy and can still tire them a bit. l was shattered after a short hop to Belfast, l,d to go sleep for 2hrs, still fell asleep in a theatre when the show was on that evening, arranged by family as treat, embarressing, despite dimmed lights  l,d been seen and teased.

l couldnt sit in hot sun even on hottest uk days, not many, but love the warmth and light clothing, even looking out the window or sat on a balcony in shade, Just need a very wealthy man to pick me up in a helicopter from local field and drop me off in the sunshine paradise

• Posted

its exhausting thinking about it, i wonder why i bother , hate the planning and all the expense, then the aftermath of washing to do.

​just wish uk had nicer weather, and hols were cheaper.

• Posted

Then back to  lousy weather here and piles of washing, ironing to follow, oh dear reality hits.  At least were past half way mark for  winter now, two months to spring start,  
    • Posted

l,m sat here, mid winter and no heat on, window open, in the uk, 

weird weather. itll soon pass till we get our summer, whatever that might berolleyes

• Posted

that was me last week, windows open, etc. i cant sleep at night without windows open, no heat in room, yet usually i am always freezing, so intolerant to cold, and i guess heat too. my feet turn blue and my fingers and toes are always cold.

roll on summer lynne!! am looking forward to a holiday at last its been 3 years since i have been away, x

• Posted

wow...windows open in UK Dec.?? wondering if the low pressure, soggy damp (low oxygeneated) weather making it difficult for yoiu to sleep @ night.

C

• Posted

am weird as i am always freezing even abroad on holiday at night time. yet here in uk, in winter i cant sleep with pj's on and need window open at night, whats that all about for someone who is always cold?

am a weirdo i think lol !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.