Affect of Weather and climate on CFS

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have heard of two people with CFS who believe that sunny climates alleviate their symptoms.  Maybe this is a shot in the dark but I am curious to know whether most of the people in this discussion live in colder climates? Do their symptoms clear when they visit hotter climates.   I am in the UK and my friend is suffering from CFS and I have become very curious about it.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm definitely not a statistician but maybe there is something in warmth making people feel better.  My friend who has CFS is even thinking of moving to a warmer climate for the benefits he says the warmth gives him.  Sue
    • Posted

Hi Sue.  think the  'warm' benefits tend to come more from the moderatley dry heat as opposed to humid warm  weather.  i know i'd love to emigrate for that reason, but can't afford it.

C

• Posted

Just some observations:-

1)Anybody thought it might be the extra vitamin D your body's getting in a hot,sunny climate?Most peole in the UK are deficient in Vit D ,but especcially so in the winter.Most people would benefit from 2x one-a-day  OTC Vit D.

2) Most hot countries grow their own citrus fruits and fresh veg ,usually close to the point of sale/use,so you ger more freash Vit C also,on your hols.

3)Being cold /shivering takes a huge amount of the bodys energy.Sweating doesn't.

4)If you're like me, you drink far more liquid on hols than you would at home.So you're flushing your lymphatic system out quite a lot more on your hols.Always good if you have toxins,or viruses in the body.

• Posted

I was tested and found to be deficient in Vit D. My GP recommended a supplement which I take daily and I am certainly feeling a lot better. How much that is due to Vit D, who knows. 
    • Posted

that's interesting wk.  my Vit D is OK.  for me it's weather pressure.  my body knows well before the pressure changes (from low to  high or v.v.) it'smarkedly affected bylow pressure weather. at the worst i gasp for air when the pressure is low.

C

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I had severe ME for 10 years back in the day. I certainly found spending time in the dry heat of Spain amazing. As a result, although completely cured and living a full and active life I live between Spain and the south of France.

• Posted

Hi caitlin,

It just seemed to go away, I'm sorry I cannot offer anything more positive. However, If you consider I was virtualy bedridden for the first three years and then that was followed by a very gradual improvement. Throughout I had very severe pain and fatigue.

What saw me through? A very positive and optimistic outlook. Interestingly I only recently became interested inthe condition again on reading a recent report in the telegraph about a research study that concluded all ME sufferers needed was a little exercise. I was so annoyed I wrote a comment about it on Linked in. Since then I have been wondering if I should write of my experience before, during and after. As my story is very positive. I set up and ran successful high pressure companies after recovering from ME and today I am a relatively successful business and academic writer. I can go on for hours.

I hope that helps stay positive and never say die.

David 

• Posted

Hi david.

wow,  congratulations on the miraculous recovery. i'm very saddened to hear about the Telegraph article as the majority of ME sufferers are high achievers & tend to push themselves beyond their resources.  i was running marathons, doing 3 jobs whilst doing my PhD when ME struck. so that turns  the little bit of exercise advise on it's head. 

Caitlin.

• Posted

Hi David - Your experience sounds quite uncommon but very inspirational.  Hopefully that's because people who recover from CFS don't come on the forums any more.  There may be more people in the world who like you have recovered completely.  It seems that your recovery was totally random with no intervening treatment.   But I can't help feeling there must be a way to recover through treatment.  It seems that those who do get well fall upon this treatment accidentally.  Or maybe it is just a case of sitting it out.  I hope you understand what I mean!   Its really great to hear you're well again.

Re The Telegraph article - the myths about exercise and other misconceptions and beliefs about ME are astonishingly widespread in science as well as the media even today.  Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue/David.  could either of you put a link to the Telegraph article.

with thanks

C

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I expect the reason people who recover don't talk about it is that if they wish to build a new career they have to wipe it from their CV and distance themselves from the ilness. I learnt this very quickly having reached the stage of an interview for one of the top jobs with the then ETB where I was being introduced to my future staff I was asked about my ME. That killed the interview. From that point onwards I was self-employed or ran my own company.

I got it in the days of yuppie flue when discrimination was high although it does not appear to have changed that much. 

Yes, on treatment, I agree there must be something out there. I went through a vast array of possible treatments including massive, and I underline massive courses of Cortezone. Forgive my spelling. I am not sure if any of them had any effect.

Good Luck

David

• Posted

Hi Caitalin,

Thanks for your comments.

I agree about high achievers and I personally think that is the area that really needs investigating. I actually took an OU degree during the second half of my illness and it was a very positive move. When I was deemed fit my first move was to take a ful time degree that led to a PhD getting started but after " years i could not afford to continue. Today much of my work is writing academic papers across a range of subjects, the wonder of the internet. I too was running marathons just before I came down with it myself. Another interesting area for research the growth in popularity of marathons in the UK and ME.

Kind regards

David

• Posted

Hi David, I'm not sure if you will see this, as it was 4 years ago you posted here. Congratulations on your recovery. I am amazed that you managed to keep a positive attitude being bedded for three years.

Also amazingly positive to hear about your experience being in warm

sunny weather in Spain. I just spent 3 days in Panama (around 30 degrees, warm and sunny) and felt amazing. More energy and less pain. But when I came home to humid rainy weather the pain came back as a boomerang.

Do you recall if you did anything differently over a period of time that might have led to your recovery?

Thank you! 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.